Weathering a F8E Crusader in the Vietnam era paint scheme

I'm working on paiting my F8E Crusader in the old Navy two-tone paint scheme (Light gull grey on top, and flat white on bottom and flaps). And I want to weather it, and I want to know if using the black wash to highlight the panel lines, rivets, etc., is the correct way to go. Or should a lighter wash (light brown or dark gull grey) be used to highlight these?

Hey there... well... right or wrong I did a Vietnam era A-7E (almost finished) with black panel lines, but then I'm a sucker for them ;-) But if you are going for absolute realism I would just preshade and maybe use some gray for the panel lines... Have you got any ref pics of the jet you are building? Use those as a guideline...

Here's what mine looks like:

IMG_3135Medium.jpg

IMG_3128Medium.jpg

I just love panel lines... i just think they give an unbelievable depth to the aircraft. Although frankly unrealistic, they draw alot of attention and most enjoy viewing the subject more with all that detail that just pops out :-)

Best,

-Greg

Hey there... well... right or wrong I did a Vietnam era A-7E (almost finished) with black panel lines, but then I'm a sucker for them ;-) But if you are going for absolute realism I would just preshade and maybe use some gray for the panel lines... Have you got any ref pics of the jet you are building? Use those as a guideline...

Here's what mine looks like:

IMG_3135Medium.jpg

IMG_3128Medium.jpg

I just love panel lines... i just think they give an unbelievable depth to the aircraft. Although frankly unrealistic, they draw alot of attention and most enjoy viewing the subject more with all that detail that just pops out :-)

Best,

-Greg

Thanks Greg,

I have both the Walkaround and Detail & Scale books for the Crusader to use as reference. I really enjoyed your photos, it's going to be a beauty once you're done with it! Thanks for the advice. I think the black panel lines do indeed make it stand out. I may just do mine using the same technique. Once I'm done, I'll try and post some of the photos of the finished model here.