Hello Graham,

Affraid not. The Bell Long Ranger, being a typical civil model, is not an interesting subject for most model manufacturers and is not available in any scale.

Afaik there is neither any 1:72 model of a regular Jetranger/ 206/ OH58A (although I vagely remember that in the 1970's (?) Revell or Monogram had a maybe ;) 1:72 snap together kit of a LAPD JetRanger ).

Now you'd probably have to use Italeri's 1:72 OH58D. In that case you'd have to re-model the engine housing and the rotor head too (among things).

If I were you I'd switch scale and try my luck in 1:48 (Esci/ Italeri) or 1:32 (Revell). These are regular 206's and would require less work.

HTH, good luck!

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ
Hello Graham,

Affraid not. The Bell Long Ranger, being a typical civil model, is not an interesting subject for most model manufacturers and is not available in any scale.

Afaik there is neither any 1:72 model of a regular Jetranger/ 206/ OH58A (although I vagely remember that in the 1970's (?) Revell or Monogram had a maybe :D 1:72 snap together kit of a LAPD JetRanger ).

Now you'd probably have to use Italeri's 1:72 OH58D. In that case you'd have to re-model the engine housing and the rotor head too (among things).

If I were you I'd switch scale and try my luck in 1:48 (Esci/ Italeri) or 1:32 (Revell). These are regular 206's and would require less work.

HTH, good luck!

Gertjan

Thanks Gertjan, I was afraid of this. I have already made a regular 206 from the Matchbox kit, which I found easier than the Italeri kit. Also, there was a Rareplanes clear vac kit of a 206, of which I have two of, so I will combine them, just using the fuselages with the details from Italeri.

I do have both the Esci and new Revell kits, but I need a 1/72 for a diorama.

Graham

In addition to their OH-58D kit, Italeri also makes an OH-58A in 1/72 scale (also available in 1/48).

http://www.daveswebshop.com/it195.shtml

While it’s not the Long Ranger you’re looking for, it’s a lot closer than the Kiowa Warrior and probably easier to work with than the Rareplanes vac kit/conversion.

Unfortunately the 1/72 kit doesn’t seem to be in production, but you ought to be able to still find it in shops or online.

I haven't seen the Monogram Snap-Tite Jet Ranger in person, but I've read that it is significantly larger than 1/72 (around 1/64). Of course, it's also really difficult to find these days.

In addition to their OH-58D kit, Italeri also makes an OH-58A in 1/72 scale (also available in 1/48).

http://www.daveswebshop.com/it195.shtml

While it’s not the Long Ranger you’re looking for, it’s a lot closer than the Kiowa Warrior and probably easier to work with than the Rareplanes vac kit/conversion.

Unfortunately the 1/72 kit doesn’t seem to be in production, but you ought to be able to still find it in shops or online.

I haven't seen the Monogram Snap-Tite Jet Ranger in person, but I've read that it is significantly larger than 1/72 (around 1/64). Of course, it's also really difficult to find these days.

I picked up a couple of the 1/72 Italeri OH-58A kits in a Tamiya boxing a year or two ago from Lucky Model. Apparently Tamiya boxes Italeri kits for the Asian market, so a search of the various Japanese and Hong Kong based sellers might find the Tamiya boxings of the Italeri kit. Mine are definately Italeri since its stamped on all the sprues.

Michael,

It's great to see you and the LongRanger project back on the forum. It is a shame that no manufacturers have seen fit to produce one in larger scale(or at all). I see so many of them in use in civilian and law enforcement roles here in the US. I look forward to following your progress.

Sincerely,

David

Sorry, I meant to post the above message in the other thread on the LongRanger topic. While here though, does anyone know it the Revell JetRanger re-release is available yet in the US? Just wondering? Thanks.

David

David,

Saw it at Hobbytown yesterday $26 I think.

Ray

Sorry, I meant to post the above message in the other thread on the LongRanger topic. While here though, does anyone know it the Revell JetRanger re-release is available yet in the US? Just wondering? Thanks.

David

Cheapest I have seen it on the net was just under $20 at either internethobbies or plastic-models, i don't remember which. Most places seem to be low to mid $20's like rotorwash said. Unfortunately, my local HobbyTown hasn't had any come in. I may just order off the net.

• 11 years later...

Bump!

For some time Scalemates has listed this 1/48 206L-1 set by Top Gun Models. I asked for availability info on Top Gun's Facebook page and they got back to me about half an hour ago:

Hi, friends we work on IT.

Sorry for long term.
Some of projects we restart, Long Ranger II or Bell 407

Edited by K5054NZ

Been hoping someone comes out with this family so I can do this one.
Sonoma County Sheriff "Henry 1"

Oops wrong thread. I thought I was in the 407 thread.
Nonetheless I would like to see some 1/48 Long Rangers.

Alan

RlZZ4vj.jpg

Edited by SinisterVampire319
Wrong thread

If anyone ever releases a LongRanger, I'd love to build this, as a testament to the crew. This helicopter is now preserved in the Law Enforcement Museum in Washington DC and I was fortunate enough to pay a visit there last year. A scratch-build/conversion using the Italeri 1/72 OH-58A Kiowa might even be possible.

https://www.statter911.com/2014/09/04/gene-windsor-us-park-police-paramedic-rescued-air-florida-victims-potomac-dies-age-74/

LD.

5 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

If anyone ever releases a LongRanger, I'd love to build this, as a testament to the crew. This helicopter is now preserved in the Law Enforcement Museum in Washington DC and I was fortunate enough to pay a visit there last year. A scratch-build/conversion using the Italeri 1/72 OH-58A Kiowa might even be possible.

https://www.statter911.com/2014/09/04/gene-windsor-us-park-police-paramedic-rescued-air-florida-victims-potomac-dies-age-74/

LD.

Good call LD, that would be a great tribute. A good base may the Italeri 1/72 206 JetRanger #1372 they released a couple of years back - it still (frustratingly) has Kiowa rear windows that will need to be changed but it has a tail rotor driveshaft cover, higher skids and a searchlight.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 3:30 PM, Loach Driver said:

LD.

Whoa was it that long ago… I can still vividly remember these first tv reports. Indeed, this 206L would be a fitting subject, LD!!!