199th TFS F-4C research

The Hawaii ANG Phantom is sporting a scheme which if often referred to as the "Egypt 1" scheme. I've also heard it called the Hill 1 scheme

The colors are:

FS 36118 - Gunship Grey ( Main fuselage and inboard wing sections)

FS 36270 - Medium Grey - ( Vertical and horizontal stabs (upper and lower horizontal stabs), as well as the outer upper wing panels and forward fuselage)

FS 36375 - Light Ghost Grey - (Radome and underside of aircraft (EXCLUDING horizontal stabs))

Hope this helps

John

i nbeed some reference about this paintsheme (Hill?) of the Hawaii ANG F-4C´s.

special how it looks on the upper side.

63-7511_1_ANG_Klaver.jpg

Thanks in advance, Carlo

Carlo,

Here is a schematic from Hill AFB. It is referred to on the drawing as "Project Hill Variable Gray Paint Scheme". This drawing dates from about 1985.

F-4ProjectHillVariableGray3.jpg

Aloha soulfreak,

Just adding to the good gouge already here...

Our old sheet metal guys called the scheme "Egyptian" (I'm sure they meant Egypt 1), but I've also heard the "Hill scheme" thrown around as well. In order to distinguish between similar schemes during BFM, some Hill Gray birds had their out-board wing sections & belly tanks (F-15 type) painted in almost fluorescent colors (Orange, Bright Green, Bright Blue). Not sure how many were done up that way but a few certainly wore the additional colors at least for a little while. Eventually they just had one flight fly Hill Gray birds while the other flight flew a different scheme, the bright colors faded or were removed completely... Interesting tidbit: The 199th operated F-4C's during the mid to late 80's in Euro 1 (Lizard), SEA Wrap-around, SEA, and ADC Gray in addition to Hill Gray. Made for a colorful and very diverse ramp up until the Eagles showed up in 87 (I believe). Side note for those that care... That ID color technique resurfaced briefly on our early F-15A's (pre-MSIP), Hasegawa's latest boxing shows an early A with an all black board. Yet another attempt to differentiate opposing flights. This didn't last long on the Eagle for some reason.

HTH a little :)

Ahui hou :shoot:

Mark

That is a really attractive scheme. Was it used a lot? (Egypt 1 that is) I ask as I haven't seen too many photos showing planes done up that way.

The Hill Gray/Egypt 1 paint scheme was fairly common on ANG F-4C/D's by the late 80s/early 90s. I've got shots of several states ANG snub-nosed F-4s in that scheme from 1987 onwards.

Jon

Thanks. When Eduard releases a F-4C/D (assuming that is one of the marks they do put out) I think this is the scheme I'll go with.

My second converted J will be the DC Guard MiG killer in Hill Gray. First one's about to go to the paint barn and get Euro-1'd.