De Havilland Mosquito NFXII

Bit of a change of plan. The Typhoon is now back on the shelf and the Mosquito has been groomed for the GB.

Center stage is the 1/48 Tamiya NFXIII Mosquito. Added to this may be the Ultracast Tailwheel, but I'm not decided yet. Decals are "Kits at War", I'll use the 488Sqn ME-Z decals. And in the post is the True Details resin Mosquito cockpit. Its for a FBVI but I'll be able to adapt it to the NF varity. Hopefully that will arrive tomorrow.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The first of the sub assemblies are finished. The main gear are both done. The one on the left hasen't been weathered yet. I used ground black pastels to make a wash. The photo doesn't do it justice though.

Progress is now at a halt while I await the True details cockpit in the mail. It got a bit lost and headed to Canada by mistake. :wave:

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Have you seen the True Detail cockpit before?? I have the CKM pit for my one would be interested to compair them!

No I haven't. There are'nt too many pictures on the net of the TD cockpit either. I'll make sure I take a few pics before I put it together.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you seen the True Detail cockpit before?? I have the CKM pit for my one would be interested to compair them!

Well the True details cockpit has finally arrived after much anticipation. Frankly a huge let down! While the actual castings are fine the detail is not. The instrument panel has only holes for the dials, no detail. The radios are no better than the Tamiya ones. The side wall detail is ok. My motivation to get the aftermarket cockpit was for the instruement panel. In its defence it was only US$11.6 so its a cheap kit compared to CMK or Airies at $20+

So I put the TD cockpit back in the packet and proceeded to punch out all the dial decals from the kit sheet and dress up the instrument panel as best I could.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Looking great Heff! Sorry for the let down..... True Details can be hit and miss sometimes! The True Details pit for the Mustang looks awesome and I got a huge let down when I brought their stuff the 48th B-17....

Does this kit come with the thimble nose for the Mk XII (and some Mk XIIIs I think)?

No it doesn't. However Paragon sell a ASH thimble nose and a NF XV conversion which has the more pointed nose. All for the tamiya kit.

• 2 months later...

Finally back in the game.

Preshaded with black and then sprayed the top coats. They have came out not too bad at all. I'll try and get some future on tonight and the decals in a couple of days.

Should be able to get this one completed before the end of the GB. :salute:

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg