Well, I started tonight (I know late as usual...) so here are some shots of what was done.

This is the "inspiration" for my work for the GB:

F-2s.jpg

Here is my workshop as of tonight...

ViperII001.jpg

Here is a shot of the kits that will die to create the Viper II

ViperII003.jpg

This is a shot of the fist cut. Basically I need to split the fueselage in two lengthen and widen the rear for the dual F100 mod.

ViperII006.jpg

Here is a shot of the first sub-assembly going together. I've taken the rear two halves of the F-2 and cut about 1/4 off of the inside of the fueslage, then spliced them together to create the enging area. This needed to happen since I am going to be using the kit supplied intake ramps and exhausts. I plan to build up the area between the engines to blend in with the forward section and make a "plug" for the canard area.

ViperII008.jpg

ViperII010.jpg

ViperII013.jpg

And that's it for tonight. I've got 2nd shift with the baby tonight and don't feel like being a zombie tomorrow so I'm calling it quit's tonight.

More tomorrow!!!!

And Merry Christmas if I don't see you guys by then!

DP out.

You might consider building it with a flat spine, just flatten it over from the two tail mounts with some styrene, sand it down to blend with the fuselage curve. That might work.

I'm guessing the Rafale's centerline hardpoints might be part of what you steal from that kit? Possibly the canards in some aspect?

Superhornet donations, I could only guess at. Maybe payload?

Still, this should turn out to be a hell of a machine. Looking forward to seeing it finished. The blending from the twin engine positions down into the standard cockpit spine should be interesting as well. That'll take some styrene and putty-fu. I'd be tempted to make a build like this at some point. That's some inspiring stuff there. *puts it on the Eventually list*

Alright, so I've got some progress with this little lady today. It's looking pretty good. Shorter than I had imagined, but still pretty sweet. I have NO clue how I'm going to accomplish the 1 into 2 function for the intake. Perhaps a Typhoon-ish arrangement is needed. We'll see.

Here they are:

The Splice

new013.jpg

Splice installed and attached

new019.jpg

Splice trimmed and plate added between engines for vertical stab. mount

new023.jpg

Same shot, different angle

new024.jpg

Planform as of today

new026.jpg

You really can't see it in these pic's, but I've heated the center "splice" and formed it by hand to better match the curves of the F-2 body.

I've got the intake pipes filled and sanded, and with the upper fuselage at 50+% complete, I now have to start on the intake and how that will be accomplished.

Wish me well and let me know what you all think!

DP out!

Edited by Desertpilot
Looks to me like you're right on target. Anyone who's will to use a saw and do some scratchbuilding is got my attention! :o Will your vertical stabs be angled out or straight up 90 degrees ?

At the moment it's going to be a single fin, same shape as the F-2, but 20% larger and blended into the spine out of the 1/48 Isracast F-16I kit.

I have NO clue how I'm going to accomplish the 1 into 2 function for the intake. Perhaps a Typhoon-ish arrangement is needed. We'll see.

IIRC, the SuperHornet, or some other similar jet, with intake trunking leading from the sides to the "center" of the fuselage could be reverse engineered to get the look you're after. Just a thought.......

The trunks are the easy part. It's how I'm going to split and widen the mouth that is going to be tough. The trunks are close enough together that they will meet at the intake, but I'm freaking out at how I'm going to get the nose gear and associated items into that space.

The trunks are the easy part. It's how I'm going to split and widen the mouth that is going to be tough. The trunks are close enough together that they will meet at the intake, but I'm freaking out at how I'm going to get the nose gear and associated items into that space.

And speaking of landing gear...will all that wight be supported by standard f-16 gear?

Hey ... how could I have missed that !???

Regarding the intake I have the feeling that somethink like the Super-Hornet's design would fit ... or similar to the Rafale's ....and by the way when You take a Rafale, why don't You use the Rafale's wing ... + twin tails !!??

.... I think I've found my next project !

Cheers, Deino :woot.gif:

You could always take the shortcut and hang both intakes as a twin mouth design, but if you want to trunk them together, a Tiffie style would probably work, perhaps with an angled spearhead style to them so you have an angle from the center back.

You could also, when merging the two, retain the full mouth size (remember those suck a lot of air so you need it all) and when you join them side by side, set a styrene divider between them, level off between the two of them, put in a flat bottom between them, and cut out the whole outer curve to serve to widen the intakes slightly. Retain the full width/height of the intakes, flatten off the top and bottom, increase intake area by a small margin, so you can actually uprate the engines a little for some extra power kick to lift your bird off the ground.

On the subject of gears - you might want to alter your maingears for certain, with all the extra weight aft, you'll probably need stronger gears to support the whole thing. Your nosegear might need strengthening as well.

She's a monster of a plane, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the construction!

Alright, broke away from the family today and got some VII work done.

After some thought, I trimmed down the fwd fuselage a bit. Looks better now. I've ironed out how & where the canards are going and have layed them out. I've got the intake trunks done and together and the wing extensions are coming along well.

My next big task is the intake mouth and splitter ramp. I'm going to do a variable geometry intake ramp similar to the Typhoon (you'll see...) and keep the trunks the same depth and width. Should be interesting...

Here are the photos...

The current planform from the top:

ViperII026-1.jpg

From the bottom:

ViperII027-1.jpg

Wing extensions:

ViperII025.jpg

Canard mounting rods:

ViperII028.jpg

Intake config:

ViperII029.jpg

Center ramp frame (this is going to SUCK to mold with putty...)

ViperII031.jpg

So this is where I'm at for now. Tonight I will lay the putty and let it set. I will also work on the underside of the fwd sections and how they will blend with the "splice" and intakes. Tomorrow I'll work on the cockpit (think JSF) and Pilot W/HMD (also think JSF)

Take care all and Oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

DP