To answer some questions, they (the F-2 and SH) are both 1-48th scale.

As for the landing gear, I'm going to use the main gear off of a Rafale I think and put it in the wing roots ala Gripen NG.

Thoughts?

DP

Like the idea of wingroot MLG fairings, but with this jet's size I think that F-14 MLG struts would be more appropriate.

Like the idea of wingroot MLG fairings, but with this jet's size I think that F-14 MLG struts would be more appropriate.

You have a point, that and the Rafale set is a bit on the short side. Perhaps Intruder MLG? Perhaps with a reduction in main wheel size it would look better?

Either way, I think I'm going with the nose gear off of a Hornet as I do not have the nose gear of the Rafale M.

I'm swamped until Friday so this is going to have to brew for a bit...

DP

Update:

I pulled the trigger this week and got some work done on the Viper II. Installed the mounts for the canards and intake trunks. Also started on the spine and wing root mounts. I still have to fair in the under wing details, but we're getting some where at this point, it's beginning to look like a real fighter. Got the cockpit done, with the pilot & HMD.

Some changes: I decided to ditch the F-2A tail and built in the tail off of the Heller Rafale prototype with a squared off tip. MUCH better, and sexy I might add...

Have a look and let me know what you all think.

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

There they are, discuss amongst yourselves.

fwah!!!! the way the pilot sits so far ahead of the rest of the plane, gonna be a good ride when doing those super manuvre moves.. look ma i can see my exhaust cans!

my salutes to your upcoming sanding battles with the putty!

Edited by Tomcat RIO

Hot damn man! That is absolutely spectacular! :jaw-dropping: Absolutely love the shape and the look with the canards now. You just might want to look into a beefier spine! :thumbsup:

Edited by sv51macross
That pilot sure looks like he has a long neck! :jaw-dropping:

You like that? :thumbsup: I left the helmet on the brass rod so I can remove it during the finishing process. I just may finish off the cockpit, install the canopy and tape it for the duration of the build. Will take away the worries of dinging up the pit.

As for adding a "beefed up" spine, I am going to add some material under it and fare it forward into the rear of the canopy ala the AFTI F-16.

To tell everyone the truth, I was thinking about adding twin Rafale tails to begin with. The single tail just looks a little "off" to me.

We'll see...

• 1 month later...

Deino,

I've been on travel for work since the second week of March. I'm back on Friday, so I hope to get some work done on this.

I was tempted to pic up a couple of Hobby Boss kits for the tail mod's, but I think I'm just going to do the styrene thing and copy the one I have.

DP

:cheers:

Imagine a Pomeranian that just drank two Redbulls and is listening to Slipknot on notch twenty of the volume control.

that's how excited I am to see this.

Rock on! I'm a Slipknot fan, too, but I reccomend Lamb Of God.

Desertpilot, awsome work on your scratchbuilding! I wish I could do half of the stuff that you did. Awsome story, too.

RYAN.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...