F-15E "Southern Outlaw" 336thFS, 4FW, Tamiya 1/32

Can you describe how you dirtied up the underside of the nacelles? The JFS burn marks I get how were done, but what colors did you use and how did you apply it?

Hello Mark... I'm assuming you mean the titanium areas? Those were done using SNJ (I love the stuff), after airbrushng on the base metal coat, I used some of the different (darker) polishing powders to get some shade variation. Hope this is the ino you're looking for.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thx Jake... your book is a very integral part of this build, just five minutes ago it saved me from painting the canopy actuator in the Tamiya-advised color :rolleyes:

Marcel

That's great, Marcel! It makes me very happy to help you even a bit. This is a great build!

Jake

Hello Mark... I'm assuming you mean the titanium areas? Those were done using SNJ (I love the stuff), after airbrushng on the base metal coat, I used some of the different (darker) polishing powders to get some shade variation. Hope this is the ino you're looking for.

Cheers,

Marcel

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I have a plan for the bare metal. I was referring to how did you dirty up the gunship gray portion of the nacelle? That area has a realistic grungy look, capturing the hydraulic leak look.

Edited by MarkW
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I have a plan for the bare metal. I was referring to how did you dirty up the gunship gray portion of the nacelle? That area has a realistic grungy look, capturing the hydraulic leak look.

Np... I used especially dark wash, and then followed that up with black and dark brown pastel, applied in the direction of airflow. Locked in with Testors flat. The trick is to only get dirty behind the wheel wells, seems like most of the grunge is caused by leaks originating from inside those.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

The GBUs are on! A huge thank you to Harold of AMS who sorted me out with the GBU seeker heads. Harold supplied the resin bits, I then drilled a little hole in the front and filled with KristalKlear. This E is early OIF so the GBU's are not the later versions with the wrap-around yellowish clear domes.

This fairly unusual configuration is shown on www.f-15estrikeeagle.com as being a 336FS OIF loadout.

DSCN87791.jpg

DSCN8779.jpg

DSCN8780.jpg

DSCN8778.jpg

DSCN8777.jpg

Now to get the canopy on, complete the base and that's it!

Marcel

Excellent finish!!

I really like how you made the wear pattern, writtens on the GBU are good and the nozzles are fantastic. I would have lighten some more panel and made a little more of dribrush to highlight the interior of the cockpit but it is only a matter of taste.

Congratulations!! :jaw-dropping:

Hi Marcel,

That is one Big, Beautiful Bird :cheers: The whole model just looks excellent. All of your time and effort really paid off. She's a corker! :jaw-dropping:

So many outstanding details kept me staring for ages. The more I looked, the more attention to detail I spotted. The HUD looks good in the second pic down. That green is perfect. I really admire the way you painted the wing leading edges asymetrically, just like a real airframe. :worship:

The ordnance is killer too. The use of various shades of green and the weathering are all most impressive.

Congrats on a stellar build and thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with us. :cheers:

:cheers:

All I can say is: Wow! That's a great looking Strike Eagle. The weathering looks great, I love the loadout, and it certainly is big. You gonna park that thing in the garage? It's about the only place it would fit in my house. :D

Congratulations on a great build!

Justin

Amazing top view--so often pre shading or panel lining is so overdone, but the wear pattern you captured looks like the top shot of so many real jets I've researched. I'll definitely use this as reference as I paint!

Bravo!

Qian, Nimrod, Spad, thx for the comments!

Guy, yes, I still cannot believe how lucky I got with that gift wrapping bow / HUD. I'm looking forward to using it again, that will be on the Revell Typhoon, cannot wait to get my hands on that one in October :monkeydance: My next build is actually an F/A-18D, but those HUDs don't seem to feature that greenish reflection.

I used a high-res shot of an in-action 336th F-15E to serve as my prime weathering reference, including the paint chipping, asymmetrical leding edge colors and wing fluid streaks.

Justin, fortunately we moved from Chicago to Charlotte back in 07, things are a little more spacious here, there's even room for a 1/32 F-15 :woot.gif:

Mark, thx for the specific comments on the weathering, it's the aspect of the model I am most proud of, I tried hard to replicate the weatehring I saw on 336th FS OIF Eagles exactly.

Cheers,

Marcel