1/48 Hasegawa F-14B

Ok I did a search but can't seem to find any in progress pics of putting the various panels onto the cockpit tub. They don't seem to fit very well... so I'd love to see what solutions others have employed. I don't want to start shaving and sanding the panels to fit only to find out that after gluing these pieces in place the whoel thing not fitting together properly once the fuselage and the covering cowel is on.

Does anyone have any links to the 1/48 'gawa F-14 OOB cockpit build?

Thanks.

-Greg

Lots of pictures on the first page that should help. Note how things went together differently than the instructions show. Makes things a lot easier to build and fit better :)

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....371&hl=f-14

Brian... awesome man... those really do help... now I know how those panels should lie... I also like your scratchbuilding... I hope you don't mind but I'm going to have to do the same ;-P Very nice man... THANKS!

-Greg

Greg, the Hasegawa Tomcat is trial and error. You have to file, you have to fudge. Perfection is not possible on the first attempt.

Even after building it as many times as I have I still have something screw up. Now at least they are fixable.

The cockpit is fun. OOB it took 3 or 4 times before they started to look even remotely as nice as VFA-103 guys.

Ohhhh..... you think the fit on those panels are fun? Those are easy compared to the intakes that await you.

But, I have faith in you. Nothing you have done yet here on ARC has been anything less then stellar. Worry less, enjoy the hobby more.

Ok Shawn you are now starting to really freak me out ;-)

Seriously... I've viewed Phil Flory's F-14D build and I'm going to follow his build method on this one... Sure it's gonna need some work but he's managed to film the whole process beautifully... but he installed a resin pit... so I don't have the privelege of seeing how the OOB pit goes in...

The only thing I'm a little worried about it mating the top of the RIO console with the bottom of the cowel that goes over it... I had to install the new square screen for the B variant but in so doing you no longer have the exact fit of the panel to the bottom box... so I'm a bit worried about this part... aside from that all the other cockpit stuff isn't too bad but I just wanted to know how others have addressed it to ensure nice fitting pieces...

I'm also going to put pilots in so I had to do some surgery on the RIO to make his legs fit around the box...

So here is a dry fit of the pieces... a big question... is this how it's supposed to look when glued on? My main concern is the Rio panel and how it aligns with the tub itself... should the bottom of the panel sides be resting on the tub side bars? I know I don't have the tiny side control panels on yet but how they fit is also dependent on how the RIO panel sits relative to the tub... am I making any sense?

IMG_3159Medium.jpg

IMG_3161Medium.jpg

IMG_3160Medium.jpg

IMG_3158Medium.jpg

Thanks all for your help on this one very appreciated :-)

-Greg

Its those little triangles that are all the fun. Last one I put them in AFTER the fuseledge was glued together. Solved some problems but caused others.

Ahhh the joys of modeling.

Oh, the big cover over the rear panel. Thats prob the only part in the cockpit that never caused me a problem.

Greg, the Hasegawa Tomcat is trial and error. You have to file, you have to fudge. Perfection is not possible on the first attempt.

Even after building it as many times as I have I still have something screw up. Now at least they are fixable.

The cockpit is fun. OOB it took 3 or 4 times before they started to look even remotely as nice as VFA-103 guys.

Ohhhh..... you think the fit on those panels are fun? Those are easy compared to the intakes that await you.

But, I have faith in you. Nothing you have done yet here on ARC has been anything less then stellar. Worry less, enjoy the hobby more.

Agreed.

Wait for the intakes. I lost my motivation to finish the kit after working with those. Then the way the front part fits to the main fuselage....you'd think they'd have a more intuitive way to get that sucker on there. No support!

I might be in the minority here, but I think the cockpit is pretty easy and once you figure out the intakes, they aren't hard...

Here are a couple pictures of in-progress with the intakes and cockpit

campics3020x.jpg

DSC02922.jpg

campics3009x.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

DSC02920.jpg

DSC02942.jpg

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals