Okay so I am lucky enough to go watch the Huskers in the Gator Bowl and I am leaving town but I saw this was up so I figured that I would post my next project.

Hasegawa F-14A

Steel Beach FOD

Steel Beach Bombracks/PTID

Steel Beach Refueling Bay

Eduard Photoetch (whole set)

Fightertown Decals VF-211 OEF/OIF

Some Academy Parts

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll168/t...pg?t=1230672397

I see lots of people planning multiple builds. Wow! One hasegawa tomcat is a lot, but if I finish in time I will either do a Pukin Dog, Grim Reaper or Tomcatter to follow up. I am going to have to come up with more shelving for sure. These things take up lots of space.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is my first update. I like the Eduard photo etch set so far and it is pretty much the same drill as my last tomcat with a few exceptions. I have more photo etch parts here since I got the full set. Included is a very complicated set of fuse boxes which look like a folding nightmare! SO I made them with styrene strips and used the photo etch fuse strips over the top. There are a few other new parts in the front of the cockpit that add more accuracy. I have not done any plumbing (adding wires) on this one. I am frustrated with superglue and copper wire at the moment, so I am skipping that. Other than that the cockpit is shaping up much like my "Gone But Not Forgotten Build" VF-32 tomcat. I really hope that the end result is as pleasing. I also opened up the refueling bay and I might need to do some more cutting and sanding, but the big cuts are done there.

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll168/t...nt=DSC00805.jpg

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll168/t...nt=DSC00806.jpg

Twhite, what did you use for the screens? When I was working on modifying the cockpits I would remove the ramps in the front and fill the area in with an assortment of three strips of block styrene and then fill in the area with putty. I don't have any photos but you get the idea. Try it on a spare cockpit first. Good luck.

Ahhh I see. I just used the original plastic from the kit and then used the eduard photo etch. I have hit a significant snag however. I am using the Hasegawa Pacific Fleet boxing for this kit and it only has the old gun vents. I am not sure what I will do yet. I have thought of turning this build into an IIAF tomcat or maybe an older USN Fleet jet.... Can't decide right now. I could easily trade the instrument panel with the PTID screen in on one of the A's I have sitting in the stash that was issued with the correct parts but I can't decide yet.

Did I decide to start another Hasegawa cat right now?!? YEP! I am setting aside the VF-211 for just a second to get this guy started. It is a VF-41 Black Aces Jet with decals from Fightertown. These cats are so labor intensive that I figured I could do 2 at a time and then I could paint the parts in tandem. Using a Big ed and true details seats. Have not decided whether to use grey fod covers or to do the intakes on this one. Right now I just need to get the cockpit done and Forward Fuselage assembled.

Tyler

DSC00817.jpg

Thanks Jane. So here is my latest. I WILL HAVE SEAMLESS INTAKES! These are the intakes of the VF-41 jet. The intakes on 211 have already been put on the airframe as they will be covered with red FOD covers. I puttied, sanded, puttied, sanded, superglued, sanded, super glued, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, and soon I will gloss coat mask and paint the gull grey inside.

DSC00819.jpg

Love the crt displays, this cat is going to be sexy!

Jane

here we go. Intakes are painted and installed. These Hasegawa tomcats are the most challenging kits I have ever done. Lots of work, but the results are pretty good and worth the work. I also picked up some Cross Delta walkways. Get 'em, they are worth the $6.00. More later

T

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

Well I can probably go over what I did. I posted the pics I took on the thread. I learned a lot as I experienced a trial and error process.

1. apply putty and sand out ejection pin marks before assembling anything.

2. after assembling the 2 pieces of the intakes apply putty that is soft or dissolved, sand and then buff

3. install pylons for drop tanks and then put the intake assembly into the trunk so the assembly is complete.

4. Gets your putty and dissolve with acetone and brush the putty into the seams, let dry, sand and do it again, and again until the seam is gone.

5. This might not be enough, so keep sanding (i recommend wet sanding by the way).

6. Once you are done take super glue and use a q-tip to spread throughout, and yes you will have some streaks, but try to get the coverage as even as possible.

7. Use a very fine sand paper and smooth out.

8. Repeat until you get what you want, and remember you might have to prime it to see the imperfections and then reseand everything.

I was quite happy with how it turned out, now I just need to fill the gaps between the fuselage and the intake trunks (yuck!) All in all this takes a long time, but I think that you will like the results if you stay committed.

Yeah I am building 2 now. I am doing the OIF jet and then a Desert Storm VF-41 jet. I will refer to them as Nickle (Vf-211) and Eagle (Vf-41) to clear up the confusion. The intakes are from the Eagle. I looked in the references I had available and the white on the older trunks I saw went as far as the the rear duct control thingy, so I marked it there. I know that they are different, I looked for more reference photos and asked folks but couldn't find anything to go by. So that is what I got

Yeah I am building 2 now. I am doing the OIF jet and then a Desert Storm VF-41 jet. I will refer to them as Nickle (Vf-211) and Eagle (Vf-41) to clear up the confusion. The intakes are from the Eagle. I looked in the references I had available and the white on the older trunks I saw went as far as the the rear duct control thingy, so I marked it there. I know that they are different, I looked for more reference photos and asked folks but couldn't find anything to go by. So that is what I got

Ah...ok. I missed that part.

In that case your intakes are correct for the 41 jet.

I have some intake shots for OEF jets I'll post later for you when I get home.