Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Jcarr162000

Lockheed Orion MR.1A

Recommended Posts

Shortly after the end of the the first Gulf War the Royal Air Force decided it was in need of a maratime patrol aircraft to supplement the aging Nimrod. The Ministry of Defence opened up a competition for a tried and tested ASW aircraft, the contenders were the Breguet Atalntic and the P-3C Orion. The contest was won by the Orion and in 1994 the Royal Air Force purchased 3 ex USN P-3C Orion aircraft. These 3 Aircraft were based at RAF St. Mawgan in Cornwall, Not utilised in there intended role they were used to patrol the English Channel to disuade the Spanish fishing fleets from entering British waters. In 2006 the Orion MR.1 as it was known, was deployed to Basra with the duty of patrolling the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. The aircraft was finally used in late March 2007 to search for 15 Royal navy personnel that went missing in the Persian Gulf, at which point the Orions were handed to the German Navy.

Photo-0123.jpg

Cockpit painted.

Photo-0124.jpg

Wings ready to go.

Photo-0125-1.jpg

Fuselage buttoned up.

Photo-0127.jpg

Inboard engines on. Filler added so I can blend them into wings. Filler also added on fuselage joints.

Amazed at the speed of this build so far.

Edited by flankerfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having real problems with engine nacelles as they come off when sanding.

Quick update, inboard engine nacelles nearly faired in, give the beast a shot of primer tomorrow over the sanded areas to highlight any issues.

Edited by flankerfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well as they say, so far so good! All the sanding and filling appears to be done. Outer engine nacelles gone on fine, certainly better that the inboard ones.

Photo-0135-1.jpg

I decided also to add an IFR probe from an Italeri C-130 just to give it a bit of extended patrol range.

Photo-0134-1.jpg

Apologies for bad quality of pictures as they are taken using my camera phone.

Edited by flankerfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final Update for today.

I've given her a shot of homebrewed Hemp and I have to say she is looking mighty fine in Hemp with her IFR probe on top.

Photo-0136.jpg

As she is drying I've noticed a few runs developing but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of wet and dry tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a break from her ladyship today as I was at an archery competition most of the day. Might get her masked off in preperation for the light grey undersides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I used Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey for the light aircraft grey. Its beginning to look quite good I think just onto the aerials and antennae, but a quick coat of satin varnish is up next.

Photo-0138.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the props on and a few touch ups on the paintwork, time to scrabble through the spares for some decals, was contemplating some tail art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the process of decalling her, although once I've finished I will overspray the wing walk areas with a misting of hemp just to tone them down a little bit.

Photo-0139.jpg

Yes that is an Airfix Nimrod in the background, I used the decals and the instructions to aid placing of them.

Edited by flankerfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, really nice! :wave:

And now build the Nimrod in USN P-3 colours! :wacko: :woot.gif:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice build. I know the Orion has long legs, but I always wondered as I watched them in Brunswick why the USN did not add the IFR capability in one of the upgrades.

Edited by mhoupt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And now build the Nimrod in USN P-3 colours! :woot.gif::wave:

Not a bad idea!!!

Maybe when I get the bottle to do the vac formed Nimrod I have stowed away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's all but finished. Just gotta do a few paint touch ups, put in windows and add a few more aerials. Quite heavily weathered due to having been in open storage for 9 months after her ferry flight to Basra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a long hiatus she is finished, but unfortunately due to my nephew (bless him) she is missing a propellor blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In process of sorting new prop for her. (Thanks Ray) Should have some photos up by Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...