Started this one back in January, and hten pulled it back out a couple of weeks ago, to see if maybe I could get it done by the end of the year. Unfortunately its obviously not going to be done, but its not a big deal.

Ive gotten the base color coat down, and now Im going to let it sit for a few days before moving on. This one will be painted up w/ a tiger scheme used in the 6th Tank Battalion in Korea.

Im building it pretty much OOB, however I am thinking about getting the track kit offered by AFV Club. So far the only thing added are stretched sprue antenna's.

M46_14.jpg

M46_15.jpg

M46_16.jpg

M46_17.jpg

Most of the tiger scheme has to be painted. The only part thats provided are the claws that go on the front fenders, the eyes on the gun mantlet & the mouth on the front. But Im trying to decide if Im going to paint the parts that are provided in decal form, or not.

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd update this, since I finally made some decent progress on this build in the last week.

Got the orange for the tiger painted this past week, and finally got all the masking for the stripes pulled off. Got a few places that need to be touched up w/ either the green or the orange, but overall Ive very pleased w/ the outcome. The orange is a custom mix of Model Master Insignia Yellow & Insignia Red. The instructions called for Insignia Yellow, but once it was painted that, it looked horrible. Ended up w/ a very pale yellow/green color, and it just looked really bad. So I took the bottle of Yellow paint, and slowly added 1 or 2 drops of Insignia Red to it, till I got the orange color, and I have to say that it looks a whole lot better now. The stripes are the base green color, that were masked off using liquid mask. Once the orange was down & dry, I just carefully peeled the mask up, and this is the result.

Im hoping to get the face started soon, but I dont know yet, just depends on when I have the time to do it, and how long it takes me to get it masked out. The eyes on the mantlet, and the claws on the front fenders shouldnt be too bad, but the mouth on the glacias plate is going to be an interesting adventure. The masking will be a combination of tape, frisket paper & liquid mask.

M46_28.jpg

M46_30.jpg

Todays project was getting the eyes, claws & mouth masked off to get the initial white layed down. I took the kit decals and used them as templates to get the areas masked off. I took each decal, trimmed it as close to the decal as possible, and then traced it onto the model w/ a pencil. Once I was satisfied w/ the outline, I went back in and used a liquid mask, to trace around each area I wanted to be white. Overall it probably took 4 or 5 hours of work to get things masked the way I wanted, and I have to say Im extremely pleased w/ the outcome.

Here are a couple shots of how I masked the areas.

Mantlet Cover w/ the Eyes

M46_35.jpg

Fenders & Glacias plate w/ the claws & mouth

M46_37.jpg

And here is the finished job.

M46_39.jpg

M46_40.jpg

M46_41.jpg

All of the areas in white will get some kind of outline or detailing w/ black paint, but that will have to wait a few days for the white to dry completely. Think Im going to throw the parts back in the dehydrator, now that the masking is pulled off. Im not real sure how the mask liked the high temps in the dehydrator.

The instructions called for Insignia Yellow, but once it was painted that, it looked horrible. Ended up w/ a very pale yellow/green color, and it just looked really bad.

I'm stalled on this same kit.

Mainly because I've misplaced the pioneer tools & machine gun for top of turret.!

(A couple of years ago now! )

It's 90% finished though, just need to find the missing parts & weather it.

The tiger finish apparently utilises white/black/yellow-orange with individual tank number in white.

Speculation is the only info I've found re: colours, so I went with the following:

Flat White (Tamiya)

U.S. Orange-Yellow ANA 614 (Aeromaster)

Flat Black (Tamiya)

For what it's worth, I base coated turret, 90mm & 40% of hull with the white.

Masked the tiger pattern & sprayed the orange-yellow, then black.

Then masked off the tiger stripes & applied the army green (again Aeromaster).

This made the tiger finish really stand out.

Weathering will tone it down somewhat, when I apply it.

I realise it may be your photo exposure, but the colour looks like a "salmon" colour to me.

However, this scheme is controversial amongst Armour modellers-some hate it, some don't.-and actual colours used speculative.

I utilised the following references:

1/: CONCORD #7003 "Tank Warfare in Korea 1950-53" by Steven J. Zaloga and George Balin (published 1994)

-pages: Cover, 35(colour plates),58 and 64.

2/: OSPREY.Vanguard #27 "Armour of the Korean War 1950-53" by Simon Dunstan (published 1982)

-Colour plate "E"

I went with the Concord version, as the photos tend to support their interpretation of the tiger scheme.

As for the kit tracks, they have the sprue attachments on the connecting links, so some detail is lost upon cleanup, so the AFV tracks sound like a good idea.

(I went w/kit links)

I also found the kit decals to be so-so, so used them as a guide as well.

Here is a link with 2 M-46 Pattons (not my builds) built in the "Concord" version of the paint scheme:

http://www.patton-mania.com/M46_Patton/M46...6_modeling.html

Look forward to seeing this one done.

Now I have to find those missing parts!

Yea, the color was brought up on another forum I posted this on. For some reason the pic's did come out w/ a light pink hue to it, but its definitely orange. Its probably got a lot to do w/ the lighting, for why it came out the way it did.

I think your method for painting the tiger is probably the better way, but how I did mine was more a trial & error sort of thing. I think if I'd thought about it more before I got started, I'd probably have done it similar to your way. Starting w/ the lightest color first, and working my way to the darkest color.

Ive seen the pic's you linked, and looking back at it, I think that I prefer how those look, versus how mine looks. But at this point mine's almost done being painted, and I dont feel like going back & repainting it, so Im just going to stick w/ what Ive got, and possibly in the future I may do another one using the same layout that you have linked.

Edited by Adam Baker
  • 2 years later...

Pulling this one back up from the briney depths.

Now that I've completed my Kugelblitz, I've started working on this one again. Last weekend, I finally got around to finishing w/ all the individual guide teeth for the tracks, I had a couple dozen left, at least, that still had to be sanded to remove the sprue marks from cutting them all loose, and then I had to glue them in place.

I also had to glue on about 40 hinge plates on one of the tracks b/c I had the bright idea of removing them in an attempt to make the tracks look better where they went over the sprockets & return rollers. Thankfully I only did it on one side.

So anyway, last week I stopped at the hobby shop, and picked up 2 bottles of Model Master paints, Track Brown and Oiled Metal. I've based the tracks w/ the Track Brown, and then once I future them, I'll dry brush them real good w/ the oiled metal, and give them a nice dark wash to bring out the detail.

M46_46.jpg

M46_44.jpg

And then tonight, I started working on the exhaust components. Last night I got a bottle of Model Master Rust from the hobby shop. Mixed a small batch right into the cup on my airbrush, and away I went. 2 good coats of paint, I think it looks pretty good for a rust base coat. Going to put them into the dehydrator tonight, and then hopefully tomorrow night I might attempt the hair spray method for the first time, to get a nice distressed rusty appearance on these parts.

M46_43.jpg

Thanks Holmes!

Adam

Lovely detailed work there ..WOW !!!

WAY TO GO !!! :salute:

Progress!

Used the hair spray method today, to achieve some pretty decent results I think, to obtain rusted exhaust components.

M46_66.jpg

M46_69.jpg

Edited by Adam Baker
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a minor update for tonight. I got the tracks washed w/ Pro-Modeler Black last week, and then got them cleaned off a few days ago. Tonight I'm dry brushing them w/ Model Master Oiled Steel.

M46_85.jpg

Really hoping to make a lot of progress on this build this weekend, but we'll see what happens, I'd like to have this build finished soon.