I've been looking for a reason to get on with this conversion. Base kit is the Tamiya MkV coupled with the Airwaves Seafire conversion kit. Decals will be from Aeromaster "Seafires at War Pt 1".

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Glad to see you do this -- I've got the Airwaves set on order and was thinking about this as one of my builds.

I'll pay attention to my first build and watch yours with interest.

Cockpit is first up in this build. The tamiya instrument panel is pretty poor on instrument detail. So I have pulled a few instrument decals out of the stash. I then punched out the individual dials with a Waldron punch set. They didn't stick to well to the panel so I glued them in with a dab of white glue. The next problem was that dial decals were all different. Some were a lot brighter than the others, or the neddles were a lot thicker. :) So I stained some gloss varnish with black paint, put a dot on each bright decal to get them to match the rest. I worked at treat :)

Seatbelts are from the Eduard RAF generic set.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

You did all that in one day? Wow that looks great!

Yep, pretty much. I have a Mosquito on the go in the Raiders of the Reich GB, but its on hold till the resin cockpit arrives. So this one has been getting more than its fair share of attention. Paint dries pretty fast with a hair dryer helping!!

Oops, forgot to take progress photos.

The inner wing stubs went on pretty well. However the right wing stub doesn't seem to be quite large enough. So I have a small gap on the lower surface between the resin wing and the centre section. But a bit of thick super glue quickly fixed that. So after a bit of sanding and rescribing I'm now ready to prime.

The photo etch stiffing strips went on well. I used a paint brush as a roller to get a gentle curve on the parts to fit the side of the fuselarge.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Seafire has suddenly made some progress. After preshading with black I put on the top coats. The slate grey and dark sea grey aren't the most contrasting colours on the palette. However it doesn't look too bad.

Now time to get the blue tail and the wing fold areas painted.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg