1/144 B727-100 in FAA markings

• 3 weeks later...

After bouncing back and forth about the nose shape, I decided to do some resculpting with Apoxie putty. I was just way too bugged about the pointy nose. Here's how the kit looked before I added the putty.

FAA727059032009MJIsmall.jpg

And here's how it looks now after several sessions with putty and sandpaper. Of course, it also has a new layer of primer on!

FAA727068042009MJIsmall.jpg

This might be a little too blunt, but it does look better than the original shape I had. I'll likely use this as the starting point and start painting the aircraft colors! I have to move on sometime....... <_<

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Now this thing is starting to look like an airliner! I have started with the final paint coats, and I tend to take this slowly, giving a good bit of time to allow the paint to cure. Since my last post, I shot the fuselage with a coat of flat white followed by two thin coats of MM gloss white (which I had added several drops of light blue to the bottle). I then waited a week for this to fully cure. I polished the fuselage with several grades of fine grit paper, and here's how it looks today:

FAA727087042009MJIsmall.jpg

I did a close inspection, and I'll likley shoot another light coat of gloss white this weekend as there are several areas that are a bit thin. Most people wont find them, but I'll know they are there! With another week of curing time, that will mean that next weekend will be the time to mask the white off and shoot the blue underside and tail. It will be nice to add some color to this bird.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:P

Now this thing is starting to look like an airliner! I have started with the final paint coats, and I tend to take this slowly, giving a good bit of time to allow the paint to cure. Since my last post, I shot the fuselage with a coat of flat white followed by two thin coats of MM gloss white (which I had added several drops of light blue to the bottle). I then waited a week for this to fully cure. I polished the fuselage with several grades of fine grit paper, and here's how it looks today:

FAA727087042009MJIsmall.jpg

I did a close inspection, and I'll likley shoot another light coat of gloss white this weekend as there are several areas that are a bit thin. Most people wont find them, but I'll know they are there! With another week of curing time, that will mean that next weekend will be the time to mask the white off and shoot the blue underside and tail. It will be nice to add some color to this bird.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:D

You did a hell of a job on the nose! It looks like a 727 nose to me now! LOL! You put a ton of work into that, and it looks great. Nice job buddy!

After bouncing back and forth about the nose shape, I decided to do some resculpting with Apoxie putty. I was just way too bugged about the pointy nose. Here's how the kit looked before I added the putty.

FAA727059032009MJIsmall.jpg

And here's how it looks now after several sessions with putty and sandpaper. Of course, it also has a new layer of primer on!

FAA727068042009MJIsmall.jpg

This might be a little too blunt, but it does look better than the original shape I had. I'll likely use this as the starting point and start painting the aircraft colors! I have to move on sometime....... :cheers:

Mike

[/quot

Wow, your nose job really came out good, looks so much better than the original, looking forward to seeing this one finished

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would post something in this thread even though it has been minimum progress since my last post. I cleaned up the wings (and stabs and landing gear) and shot them with a coat of Xtracolor gloss Boeing gray. I let this sit for a bit over a week and then polished the wings to remove dust and reshot the wings again with another coat of Boeing gray. Here's how it looks today. Not very impressive due to the lack of color but at least it is some progress on my workbench! I'll depict the coroguard on the wings and stabs using decals.

FAA727089052009MJIsmall.jpg

I get to add color in the next step. I'll mask off the tail and the underside of the aircraft and shoot a medium/dark gloss blue to match the photos of the aircraft. I hope to post a much more interesting photo of the 727 next time!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:bandhead2:

it IS already a nice pic, Mike!

Great job on that nose, it is the one thing on Airfix boeing kits that bothers me the most.

Keep us updated!

Regards

Eduardo

Thanks to everyone for motivating me to correct the nose in this kit. It does look a lot better, especially after it has been painted. I am on a roll right now, and I managed to finish up the last of the major paint steps. I shot the underside and tail with a medium/dark blue from Testors. It looks a bit lighter in the photos than it does in real life due to the photo lights I am using. After this was dry, I masked everything off and gave the exhaust sections for the 3 engines a coat of several different Alclad paints. Here is how the 727 looks now with the 2 side engines loosely inserted in the slots:

FAA727115052009MJIsmall.jpg

FAA727116052009MJIsmall.jpg

I was a bit concerned that I would not have a decent line between the dark blue belly and the white fuselage, but it worked out OK. Now it's on to the decals!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:monkeydance:

Well, there is one bright side to having the first holiday of the year (long weekend) and having it rain each day, there's some time for modeling! I managed to finish applying the decals to my 727. Here's how it looks now after a wash to remove the decal glue and stains after the decal application:

FAA727127052009MJIsmall.jpg

FAA727129052009MJIsmall.jpg

The Draw Decals worked great! They are thin which caused me a bit of stress at times when they folded or tore due to my clumsy work, but they look good when all is said and done. I actually had more trouble with the silver decal stripes that I used for the leading edges of the wings and stabs. They kept cracking or flaking so this took a lot longer than planned.

With a little luck, I just might get this finished by the GB deadline!!!! :) After things dry, I'll do some paint touch up and some light weathering. Then it's on to a clear coat and adding the fiddley bits...

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Mike not too much on the weathering, we wash them often in the FAA.

Now for your next project. Draw Decals also has a set for the DC-9-15 that was flown by the FAA back in the 70-80's too!

Made it! :banana: I managed to complete at least one of the 4 GBs that I am currently working in! This ended up fighting me tooth and nail to the end. I had thought it was going to be reasonably straight forward but Noooooooo. :lol: This is not one of my better builds, but it does not look too bad in the photos. I managed to shoot myself in the foot at the very end when I shot a final Satin finish using Polly S paint. I ended up with a large drop of dried Satin on the right side that did not sand out very well. About the same time that I saw this problem, I realized that the right wing was so warped, there is a big visual difference on the distandce to the ground at both wing tips. As I had used an old set of wings that had a warp for this conversion, I had hoped that I had minimized this using a hot water treatment in the beginning. Oh well, it's one for the shelf! Here's how it looks at the finish line:

FAA727145062009MJIsmall.jpg

FAA727147062009MJIsmall.jpg

FAA727139062009MJIsmall.jpg

FAA727144062009MJIsmall.jpg

One thing I did that I liked was apply a light weathering using pastel chalks and a wash for the wings and stabe. It does not show up as well in the photo, but it does give a bit of a more real world look to the finished model.

Thanks everyone for a pretty cool GB!

Have fun modeling!

Mike