Hi,

I have a half dozen projects planned, all 1/48, but doubt I'll come anywhere close to doing them all.

My first project will be the Supermarine Type 300, K5054, on it's first flight 6 March 1936. The base kit is the 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I and I have the Paragon conversion kit and a few other pieces of Spitfire I aftermarket. The build is based on two articles in the March 2006 MAM and some notes from Ben Guenther who did a superb one in 1/72 scale.

The build part is easy, the "primer" paint job is something else -- I will have to practice quite a bit before I try it on the aircraft itself. Probably the only question I have is whether or not the serials were underwing on the first flight or not -- the MAM article says yes, others sources suggest not ... I probably won't try to break any historical ground here so don't expect any revelations in research ...

Anyway, here's the obligatory family photo to lead off ... I'll start within the week, but slowly as I've got some things to get out of the way and January is a hectic month for a lot of reasons.

k5054-00_boxart-refs_s.jpg

Edited by jRatz

Well, off we go ...

First step in this project is to fill in most of the lovely panel lines in the Tamiya kit .... There's nothing wrong with the Tamiya kit and panel lines, just that the prototype was much different ...

k5054_10_filling-panel-lines_s.jpg

I'll be back when all is sanded down and then later when rescribed. This won't be a fun build until I get through this stage ... :cheers:

Edited by jRatz
Wow that looks ambitious. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Odd thing to do though, fill in recessed panel lines. That's a new concept to me. Thats for sure.

I think it's because the majority of those on the wing will need moving to be accurate for the prototype.

Given the question about rescribing, I probably should do a better job explaining the scope of this project. Remember, I wasn't there, am not an expert, etc ...

Here is a list, in no particular order, of differences between the prototype and even the earliest production Spitfires, not to mention the kit. Remember I am doing this as the "first flight" of 5 March 1936 -- K5054 was modified continually after that, looking more like a production aircraft each time. (* means Paragon conversion part, - means my problem)

* angled rudder horn balance

* low-pitch 2-blade prop

- recessed carb intake

- large rudder actuator arm

* protruding exhaust stacks (6)

- engine cowl shape

- no gear doors

- standard and test pitot

- elevator trim actuators on bottom

* longer, angled radiator

* canopy

- most wing and some fuselage panels were different (it was hand-skinned)

- primered finish (more on that later)

* wheel hubs

* tail skid

Unknown is how different the cockpit might be -- there would be no armor, pitch control, radio, or gunsight -- the compass was on the starboard side and there may have been a dash-mounted tach or oil pressure gage. I shall wing it a bit here ...

• 5 weeks later...

When I started this, I mentioned that my January was busy, so little progress has occurred.

But, here we have the un-needed panel lines filled (well, most of them), the engine cowl sanded rounder, the rudder cut off, and all the new panel lines drawn in preparation for scribing. Note that many of these drawn lines merely overlay existing lines - I just wanted them all there so I knew what I was doing.

k5054_11_marking-new-panel-lines_s.jpg

Anyway, I'll be back when the scribing is done, hopefully NMT a couple weeks, then I can start the fun stuff. I will work the fuselage halves first as they are easiest and allow me to start on the interior.

• 2 months later...

I apologize for not finishing my entry - this has not been a good year with me being ill twice, the last time culminating in a 9-day stay in hospital, and my father-in-law passing. I have had too little bench time to give this the attention it needs and deserves.

I know this GB ends 30 June, but I am unsure if I can get back on track -- we shall see if I can at least get further.

John

Edited by jRatz

John, there is no need for apology.

It sure sounds like you've had a rough year. Should you decide to continue with your build, there are still 2 months remaining for this group build. Still, health and other life concerns are much more important than finishing a model.

Please take care to regain your health.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

John