I'm in with a Hasegawa 1:48 F-14B...more than likely the "White Whale" :woot.gif:!

This is what I've got so far (I just want to get as much white painting as possible out of the way):

Tomcat1-7.jpg

tomcat15.jpg

Some AIM-9s from the spares box. I obvously won't be using all of them :worship::

tomcat4-9.jpg

I'm 90% sure this will be minus Phoenix pallets...just for something different.

Anyway, thanks for looking, and hopefully I'll finish it :thumbsup:!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have been working...

Got the cockpit done. I'm pretty pleased with it. Not perfect, but it'll do...

tomcat10.jpg

Tomcat12.jpg

(if anybody has any brilliant ideas on how to spruce up the otherwise bland throttle on this thing, I'm all ears :blink:)

And a seat (which actually has been done since my last attempt at a Hasegawa Tomcat a few years back):

tomcat16.jpg

tomcat17.jpg

And a seat IN the cockpit:

tomcat19.jpg

tomcat18.jpg

And one of these effing exhaust nozzles. WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MOLD EACH PETAL SEPARATE???????????

tomcat23.jpg

That's all for now. Going to paint and (hopefully) assemble the nosegear well tomorrow.

As always, thanks a lot for looking :thumbsup:!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

tomcat23.jpg

Ur pit looks great !! One point... U may know this.. But U need to fill the lines in the engine Forward of the Nozzle... That area is smooth on the GE.... HAS just recycled the A eng part for the D...

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Thanks for all the kind words, folks :)!

tomcat23.jpg

Ur pit looks great !! One point... U may know this.. But U need to fill the lines in the engine Forward of the Nozzle... That area is smooth on the GE.... HAS just recycled the A eng part for the D...

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Gotcha covered on that one. I forgot to do it before I assembled this first nozzle...realized it as I was putting the last petal in.

Thanks for pointing that out, Dave.

I would probably have overlooked that.

Group Builds are cool. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Stefan.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Finished up the nose gear bay and did some dry-fitting :)

First up is the bay. 2 coats of white paint, then some detail work (which is far from accurate but adds some busy-ness to the otherwise droll white):

Tomcat28.jpg

And just a few overviews of the dry-fit pit:

Tomcat27.jpg

Tomcat26.jpg

Tomcat25.jpg

And, as always, thanks for looking :whistle:!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! Y'all are really keeping me going on this buid :D!

For the throttle I cut the weird nob piece off the crouched nose gear piece, cut it in half and boom, you have a throttle. Know what I mean?

You, my friend, are BRILLIANT :unsure:!

ok so this is a crap pic. The jet that this little trick for the throttle worked the best on is about 1500kms away with one of my best friends as I gave it to him for his birthday. In fact I think I made the throttle shown in the pic from a different part hence it not being that awesome!

Anyway if you look at your 1/48th Hasegawa instructions (I am looking at the CVW-14 D ones) you take part number G69. You cut off the part that the do not glue symbol is pointing to in the instructions. Chop it in half again, paint white and boom you have a throttle. Better pics will come soon when i finish my vx-9 jet soon.

DSC01848.jpg

Edited by tomthegrom

Got a bit more done today. Had a Tenax "incident" :rolleyes: as I was attaching the intake to the fuselage today, but I managed to take care of it, but not without losing some of the detail. Oh well...it happens :woot.gif:.

A decent shot of the where the intake attaches:

tomcat31.jpg

I also attached the drop tank pylon to the bottom of the intake.

Tomcat30.jpg

tomcat29.jpg

As you can see, I braced them with sheet styrene. I'm going to be using intake covers, so there was no reason to assemble the entire intake:

tomcat33.jpg

and I got the braces on for the other side. I'll be attaching the intake tomorrow:

tomcat35.jpg

And a "just for the hell of it" shot when I dry-fit one of the drop tanks:

tomcat36.jpg

Soooooo...the build is progressing. Slowly progressing, but it's progressing. As always, thanks for looking :cheers:!

you nailed the seam on those intakes. They look great. I hate that part because I can never get them to match up perfectly. I also like the fact that you have reinforced them. I am going to do the same on the jet that will have the fod covers on it.

Good job!

Today's progress consisted of assembling a wing, attaching the other intake and adding some styrene reinforcers, as I'm preparing to join the upper and lower fuselage halves here within the next few workbench sessions.

First up, the attached intake. It's amazing how much those styrene guides help align these damn things :D:

Tomcat37.jpg

Tomcat38.jpg

Aforementioned styrene guides:

tomcat40.jpg

Boring overview shot:

Tomcat39.jpg

And my attempt at making something resembling a throttle. Much thanks to tomthegrom for implanting this idea in my head:

Tomcat43.jpg

Tomcat44.jpg

Tomcat45.jpg

Tomcat46.jpg

And just confirming the position of the LANTIRN stick before I attach it:

tomcatpaintpic.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and thanks for all the positive words and encouragement from everybody. Without them, I'd have dumped this build a long time ago :thumbsup:.