Now these exhaust "Call em' Done" covers look better...

Why I feel the need to bore you all with my minor modeling accomplishments is beyond me. Maybe there are a few newbies like myself that my find this useful.

Anyway, thanks for letting me endulge you all with my sweet exhaust covers. How about some love for these.

The encouragement....I only have two so if I screw them up I'm toast.

IMG_2935.jpg

The potential victims...

IMG_2923.jpg

The supplies....

IMG_2920.jpg

The effort...

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

I know what you are seeing. It gets me as well in the image. It's not really that noticable to the naked eye. I think the string needs to be dirtied up a bit and the holes going into the petals will be on the bottm or sides and not to obvious. I'm trying to think of what to use besides the string. I images I have seen have some ropes but others have flat cargo type straps. Maybe some Tamiya tape back to back cut and glued on the can and painted.

Any other ideas floating around out there??? I think I got it....Eduard left overs. Give me a few minutes.

Here is what I was going for...

IMG_2593.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

Flat straps; Well I have used tape which worked well, another option could be lead foil or aluminium foil guys use for ejection sets to model the belts. But IMHO and it's only my opinion I would ditch the thread, fill the holes and make flat straps ending up where the holes are at so you don't have to worry about a flawed finish in your metal petals ;-) "hey that rhymed" LOL.

MAW decals produced a set of C/D burner can covers and you can tell thats what Creighton did with the straps, simple tape. I am really liking the use of the blue painters tape though, easy to get and easy to use!!

Jim

Edited by Hornet78

Thanks for all the advice.

I think the idea of flat dental floss would be best for this next time. I think the scale would be better.

In image # 7 I did not use any glue to hold the tape down when it's folded over. When you wrap the piece around the can at the end it holds it down. Then just run your knife around the top and cut off the extra flush. I then coated the seam at the end with the CA glue 3 times and spead a small layer over the end with a toothpick to harden it. I also put a drop in from behind and spread it around and now they are super hard. The red was done by hand but would I would spray it next time. I then taped it off and sprayed the gun metal. Then taped it off and added a drop of black and sprayed the final ring.

Anyway, glad this was of help of gave you some ideas.

Here is what I have done now. The string was getting to me before Hornet 78 pointed it out. I had some leftover Eduard straps that I replaced them with and think this is a move in the right direction.

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

These should go well with the intake covers done the same way.

IMG_2915.jpg

Well, I'm going to call them done. Maybe just a satin coat over the red to knock the shine off. Anyway, I was able to photo copy the image of the lion on some Scotch Tape. After about 5 tries I got it to fit and print properly. Applied and covered with some Future coats because of the thickness of the tape.

Anyway, the technique will be a work in progress but I'm thinking it's not to bad.

IMG_2949.jpg