1/32 Revell F-14A VX-4

I picked up a 1/32 revell F-14A. i made one when i was young... geez i remember how much i loved building it.

Hope it gives me the same joy now. hehe

F-14A VX-4 low viz

Since its the evaluators, does this mean i can have any loadout i want?

I was thinking maybe make it like a F-14A bombcat with lantirn...

or maybe even six Phoenix missiles

I will also continue my never ending list of 1/48 scale tomcats, including some ace combat ones.

Benny

Edited by benjo
I picked up a 1/32 revell F-14A. i made one when i was young... geez i remember how much i loved building it.

Hope it gives me the same joy now. hehe

F-14A VX-4 low viz

I will also continue my bever ending list of 1/48 scale tomcats, including some ace combat ones.

Benny

I also remember building one of the Revell 1:32 Tomcats when I was young...before I actually filled seams, used Future, and overall gave a crap about accuracy. I'd love to find one (or 2 or 3) of these things. Can't wait to see your build. I will be following it very closely :).

The Revell kit is awesome. I built two last year.

bigscale_tomcat_28.jpg

The thing I love about em is the price. I bought five of them for the cost of one Tamiya kit.

Benny, when I built a VX-4 Phantom I asked the same question....the answer I received is yeah....pretty much anything you want to stick on there

bigscale_tomcat_28.jpg

The thing I love about em is the price. I bought five of them for the cost of one Tamiya kit.

Benny, when I built a VX-4 Phantom I asked the same question....the answer I received is yeah....pretty much anything you want to stick on there

Yeap, engraved panel lines n everything.

Ill be trying to collect as many of these kits as i can. theyre hard to find now!

That means im going to have fun making this thing! thanks. Im going to start it tomorrow at my model club build day.

You have done an excellent job on your tomcat too btw.

Benny

Edited by benjo

Thanks Benny.

Let me share a little tip I found that makes mating the nose section with the fuselage a ton easier and cleaner.

Take some styrene strips (I used .040 x .040), and cut them into inch and a half segments. Then, glue them into the fuselage side of the joint so that at least half of the strip is sticking out. Use a good CA glue so they are nice and strong. Now, slide the nose section down over the strips and onto the joint. It will cause the nose section to push out to the same dimensions as the fuselage section so there is virtually no step at all between the two parts. I did this on the two I built last year and had very minor filling to do.

If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM

And you really mean to build them all? Five Cats in 1/32?! Where d'u manage to store them all then? :thumbsup:

Alexander.

Thanks Benny.

Let me share a little tip I found that makes mating the nose section with the fuselage a ton easier and cleaner.

Take some styrene strips (I used .040 x .040), and cut them into inch and a half segments. Then, glue them into the fuselage side of the joint so that at least half of the strip is sticking out. Use a good CA glue so they are nice and strong. Now, slide the nose section down over the strips and onto the joint. It will cause the nose section to push out to the same dimensions as the fuselage section so there is virtually no step at all between the two parts. I did this on the two I built last year and had very minor filling to do.

If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM

Funny you say that.. i was just looking at that tonight and thinking... oh my.

thanks for sharing!

i have just been adding some 3d to the cockpit, made a throttle quadrant out of a half section of a missile, building up some little knobs and levers... theres a lot of canopy to see through in 1/32 scale! depending on what it looks like when its done i might open it...

wouldnt consider letting one of your big cats go would you??????

Have a good one,

Benny

Anytime Benny. Yeah....that's the thing with the big scale. All that cockpit detail is pretty easy to see. That's what makes the Tamiya Cat so disappointing in my book. Decals for instrument panels. As a firm believer in OOB, in addition to the already high cost of that kit....the thought of adding another 50+ for a resin cockpit makes the Revell Cat even more appealing.

I have plans for the others....one is actually completely built, I just need to paint it (trouble is I can't decide what markings....VF-114 or VF-51).

The fourth one (which might get built for this GB) is going to get the Jolly Rogers treatment using Fightertown's new Nose art sheet.

The fifth one is going to be dressed up in VF-24 Last Rage markings.

I seem to have a knack of finding these things though. I located all 5 last year, if I come across one I will pick it up with you in mind.

Eastern, right now I have the two completed ones on the hutch above my desk. I am in the process of building a case that will fit all five and hang from the wall.

Anytime Benny. Yeah....that's the thing with the big scale. All that cockpit detail is pretty easy to see. That's what makes the Tamiya Cat so disappointing in my book. Decals for instrument panels. As a firm believer in OOB, in addition to the already high cost of that kit....the thought of adding another 50+ for a resin cockpit makes the Revell Cat even more appealing.

I have plans for the others....one is actually completely built, I just need to paint it (trouble is I can't decide what markings....VF-114 or VF-51).

The fourth one (which might get built for this GB) is going to get the Jolly Rogers treatment using Fightertown's new Nose art sheet.

The fifth one is going to be dressed up in VF-24 Last Rage markings.

I seem to have a knack of finding these things though. I located all 5 last year, if I come across one I will pick it up with you in mind.

Eastern, right now I have the two completed ones on the hutch above my desk. I am in the process of building a case that will fit all five and hang from the wall.

Please do the VF-51 jet, i would love to see that in 1/32.

its a smart color scheme.

Please let me know if you find one ill do a deal with you!

Pictures soon.

Benny

Edited by benjo

PLease has anyone got a good pic of this jet???? the only ones i have been able to find are the grey high viz one and the black one.

- before im forced to use the artistic license. :-)

I found some pics of this jet thanks to the 'tomcat parking only' in the reference section of this forum... thanks guys for adding the photos they are valuable!

Im just fighting with the wings now. Im trying to make them oversweep, this kit has a strange dendancy for the wings to lean upwards. and oversweep is impossible without modification. I didnt really want to chop and shut this kit, but theres a look im trying to get, and i think in such a big scale it would look fantastic to have the wings in oversweep parked on the shelf....

Im finally happy with the oversweep. I cut slots in the fuselage which allowed it to give way downwards, instead of the fuselage pushing the wing upwards.

Just in case anyone else building this kit doesnt know, you need to glue the top of the fuselage to the nose section before you put the bottom half on so you get a perfect fit on the top fwd section and your nose sticks on at the right angle relative to the top fuselage.

far out, its a big jet in 1/32.

132f14a.jpg

Uppppsss forget a question.

The Reaper is Revell kit 1/48?

Greetings

Fede

thanks for the wrap up on the reaper jet! its 1/48. its looks tiny compared to the 1/32 jet.

theres better pics of the reaper jet in the jet forum might be a few pages back by now.

too bad that i started building two 1/48 f-14s just before the tomcat gb started!

Yeap Benny is a bad moment jajaja, don´t forget your Tomcat prototipe in the "gone but not Forgoten gb" is a very interesting project and I'm excited to see the final.

Greetings

Fede

Yeap Benny is a bad moment jajaja, don´t forget your Tomcat prototipe in the "gone but not Forgoten gb" is a very interesting project and I'm excited to see the final.

Greetings

Fede

I'm hoping to make the canards for it today. wait till you see the nasa decals i made!

I wonder if they will let me transfer it to this GB.

Benny

• 2 weeks later...

Heres my F-14a as it is now, nearly ready for painting, just trying everything on.

f14a132002.jpg

f14a132004.jpg

I still dont really know what loadouts i can have with this so im not sure to keep running with the VX-4.

I have collected quite a few options now including

NSAWC 10/30

VF-154 in the last cruise (Grey tailed)

the very last VF-84 scheme

VF-84 in the very first tomcat scheme.

I'm sure VF-84's been done millions of times over so im still really keen to do the VX-4 jet but dont really know what they were doing with the tomcats, maybe i should leave it clean n empty?

Benny

Edited by benjo
Benny nice way to progress. This one is looking great. Almost time for paint.

Hey you might want to cover that curse word on whatever that object is.

I marked the not very good car part when i accidentally put it back in instead of the new one. I was a bit upset at the time so i labelled the offending part so i couldnt put it back in.

Photo edited

Yeah i cant wait to paint this thing! Ive waited a long time for this, to paint a tomcat in 1/32! theres been so many times when ive thought how much easier i could make it if it were bigger!

Benny