1/32 Revell F-14A VX-4

Yes I have set in my other tomcat box that was striken to be parts for my VF-103 build plus I was going to get the Mid-Style wheels for the VF-103 build.

Benny send me a PM with you address.

Stanton

Be sure that you dont need them mate, because if youre getting the midlife update wheels you still need to put your original rubber on them. Which will mean i cant take them off you.

Benny

• 2 weeks later...

Im just waiting on some gunze topcoat to seal my decals, than ill be on the way to finishing this beast, i have the canopy and windscreen made up with small mirrors made from card and some photo etch canopy detail set that looks like it was made in 1912. More pics soon

Beautiful painting and weathering on your Tomcat!

Can't believe I somehow have missed to check out your latest pics. Looks great, and good that your Tomcat in the end will recieve proper wheels.

Oh i fogot, i put the revell 1/48 wheels next to these wheels and the hubs are nearly the same size, Bizare stuff...

Yes, those small hubs just look weird together with the undersized rubber tires.

Before I gave up my Revell Tomcat build many moons ago I tried to go around the problem by using the original plastic tires (IIRC those were larger in overall diameter but were still designed for fitting the same small hubs).

I increased the diameter of the hubs by wrapping a thin strip of styrene around them, and then enlarged the openings in the plastic tires to accept the now larger hubs.

But in the end this modification did not help much as the hub still looked off.

Cheers,

Anders

I painted the exhausts and done some work to the windscreen.

(The green looks very green in the photo but in real life it doesnt look AS bad, i tried to make it very subtle but it didnt work out like i planned, oh well ill carry on anyway)

132vx4005.jpg

132vx4004.jpg

Benny

Hey its nearly complete, just gotta hang the missiles, do some touchups, weather the wheels and spray some more flat clear on it.

I seats are just the tamiya ones with styrene seatbelts made up. after the painting and drybrushing it almost looks like a resin one.

the wingwalk area is mainted with flat black first, then speckled a dark gray, and speckled with a light gray.

bybenjo012-2.jpg

bybenjo016.jpg

bybenjo015-1.jpg

Benny

Yeah i found a pic of the black one wearing sparrows and blue sidewinders, ill be arming it like that. i was going to donate some tamiya fuel tanks but i might need them for the next revell 1/32 tomcat. so ill leave it relatively clean. it kinda looks sexah clean..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
That last pic is superb...I love the weathering! It has that kind of CG Ace Combat like look to it, very fine looking. ;)

Haha thanks dude, you know why that is dont you. i spend all my OTHER spare time playing ace combat and spend a lot of time trying to replicate namcos amazing skill in the textures and patches of flat and gloss across their 3d models. this doesnt appeal to the judges though, apparently.

Benny

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one Benjo! I have a 1/48 Hasegawa F14A that I intend to do at some stage with resin seats, P/E belts and Fightertown decals but I've got some other projects I want to finish first.

Excellent job!

Regards

Andrew :jaw-dropping:

• 3 years later...

Wow! Now that is one gorgeous Kitty! My highest respect!

I'm one of those vivid lovers of the good ol' Revell kit too.

After having built two of those and having the third in the pipeline I can say, that it's not just the price that puts them for me in favor of the Tamiya kit.

Many complain about the lack of detail, wrong stores and most of all an apparently wrongly shaped front fuselage but considering the many resin extras out there that also work just fine for the Revell with only a little creativity and extra adjusting the issue on stores like the tanks and the lack of detail is in my eyes not really significant.

Regarding the shape I actually must state that I think that Revell comes way closer to the original than Tamiya or Trumpy. If you compare it to the real thing I just can’t shake off the impression that Tamiya#s and Trumpeters Canopy is overbend and too high. Alas Revell’s nose is indeed a little thick but if you compare it to Tamiya we are talking about a rough millimeter that can be sanded off and the edge of Revells canopy rail which is a tad too high canalso be corrected very easily.

All in all I am more and more attracted to the good ol’ Revell with all that is there to enhance it and such great builds as yours just prove it. :worship: