1/32 Revell F-14A VX-4

Yeah hope he reads this!

someones gotta know!

I think i might just make it clean and unarmed and be happy with it.

I could cut the Sparrow pylons off the glove vane pylon and just add the sidewinder ones and leave the phoenix palettes off.

Hey guys n girls.

One of my friends was kind enough to donate some spare Tamiya Nozzles. But of course, they dont fit! the revell engines being about 3 or 4mm bigger in diameter!

What i did was i got one of my own old tamiya nozzles. and i cut segments out of it. I worked out that if you cut the nozzle, stretch it out a bit, and add just over one segment in there, you get the perfect size. Just put the join underneath and out of view. I sounds weird, but it is VERY hard to pick out when you look at it. You just got to massage the nozzle to the shape to fit using calibrated force. :-)

f14a132005.jpg

f14a132006.jpg

I put the parts of the tamiya kit for the back of the engine in there too. at the same time making my exhausts deeper, as for some odd reason the revell ones represent the GE engines... bizarre eh?

Ahhh, the project just keeps on growing!

Benny

Actually the bigger nozzles make it look meaner, big fat and honkin! I dont mind at all, if its not as accurate as the tamiya one, or is it the tamiya one thats too small??????

Good question, I have the Cam conversion set and the Wolfpack set. Cams F-110s are noticeably larger (even though both are made for Tamiya :wave: ) Wolfpack's looked puny in comparison but I have yet to see either built up (I like collecting conversion sets apparently...) Agree that bigger is better though

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

So when you decide that you will never use this Technics conversion set, youll send it to my house right?

:-)

Okay, nearly ready for paint, again, i added some greebly bits for the cockpit. I got that Tamiya 'light curing putty' and used to to repicate the material covering the back of the instruments, made the samll hud and warning light bits in front of the pilot. Added that screen type part from the tamiya kit for the front instrument coming. (also donated to me) and also added some detail to the Canopy hinge section. Please DONT look at it all too closely ok!

haha

f14a132007.jpg

f14a132008.jpg

Im going to leave it weaponless, Brian was kind enough to send me a photo of a low viz VX-4 tomcat (which happened to be carrying a Harpoon!) which helped a lot for my painting as i know what their condition might have been. It didnt OCCUR to me that, theres HEAPS of pics of the black VX-4 jet, if i wanted to know what kind of armament they would carry around. Ah, maybe ill put a lone sparrow on there for interest.

Benny

Okay, i got the paint and some of the decals on. That stuff about being bigger making it easier??? geez, give me back my 1/48 scale! painting was a nightmare. turning the big model over and holding it forever, i few kilos gets heavy after a while. need to make a jig!

lets paint the other side, BUMP, off goes the alpha probe again...

I followed a photo i found of one of the vx-4 low viz jets, which meant i paintined it just a shade darker than what i was supposed to and of course, my markings were very LOW VIZ. they were just about invisible! I mixed some clear with the 'proper' color and lightly doned it down and luckily i was able to save some of the decals i was lucky that they still slid off the backing paper the second time round. the playboy bunnys being the worst of them, i had to lighten the paint and put them on before they set hard again meaning i had to stick them to a slightly tacky surface, but in the end it still came out decent. It will still need some small touching up.

f14a132010.jpg

More pics soon.

Benny

Looking great Benny!

Btw, I'm running a week behind on delivering your photo album.

Kodak has once again shorted me a few pics so I had to re-order them.

Thats no prob at all Brian. Thanks for doing them and putting up with that inconvenience.

Benny

more pics please!!

f14a132014.jpg

f14a132013.jpg

f14a132012.jpg

Its still got the high gloss, decals have yet to be sealed, and i still got a lot of work to do! Undercarriage, formation lights, nav lights exhausts, cockpit missile rail detail and the sparrow recess detail but getting there slowly!

Okay, this kit has a few issues, but most of them can be dealt with or lived with, but one thing i cant get over is the wheelS! they look like balloon tyres off a piper cherokee or worse, a piper cub! its got a really small hub and a big fat huge tyre... unbeleivable!

okay, heres the wheels.

Im open to donations of tamiya wheels, if anyone has made their tomcat in flying position! :-)

f14a132016.jpg

Ahh, as old tom would say, 'Do my wheels look big in this, BABY'!!!

f14a132017.jpg

Oh i fogot, i put the revell 1/48 wheels next to these wheels and the hubs are nearly the same size, Bizare stuff...

edit 2, oops, i put the same pics twice.

everyone can have a bad day now and then.

Edited by benjo
Benny,

Let me look in my parts bin and see what I have and let you know this afternoon.

Stanton

Awwww really! you think u got some? ill trade you one of my tomcat artwork prints or something for my appreciation

If Stanton comes up short I gotcha covered too :thumbsup:

THanks guys for your support! U dont know how much i appreciate it.

Because of this, i am able to continue on. I raided my very old tamiya tomcat that i was building for the test n evaluation GB, picked out the hubs, and found out that a peice of the tamiya sprue was the right size to fit into the wheel, i drilled out the leg with what i think is a 1/8 drill bit.

f14a132.jpg

I have glued the hubs on, and the result was a fit so tight it could only go together with the glue melting the surfaces. probably the strongest wheel to leg bond ive ever seen.

A fix for any leg that you think might not be strong enough maybe?