Flynavy

YOU did it again..SUPERB photos.Thank you :salute:

Thanks!! Im not done yet! standby for more! :) I just went on a "fact-finding" mission this morning to scope out the best spots for taking pics. So prob this afternoon im going to stay a lot longer and maybe sunset too! Also going to try and make it out to Davis Monthan and catch some A-10s and the Boneyard!

• 2 weeks later...

Found THIS INTERESTING PIC linked to in an in-progress thread over on flugzeugforum.de.

Anybody know the story (assuming there is one) behind the paintjob? Looks like the kind of grey we see on the F-35s, doesn't it? Also looks like it's just one colour, which seems to reflect the light very differently depending on angle. In the BIG VERSION of the pic, on the nose, you can see the apparent hue of the colour changing greatly depending on the angle you're looking at the panel.

There's a thread on it over on Z5...It's the new HAVE GLASS paint. It is in fact two colors "blended" together. If you look at the NLG door, you'll see it is split between the two different colors. It is like the F-22/F-35 paint in the fact that it seems to change hue/reflectivity etc at different angles. That bird has to be the best looking Viper I have EVER seen! Now, if they would just give my Strike Eagle the same treatment.

Aaron

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question about parked Vipers. I see some with the airbrakes partially opened, others with them closed. I see some with the stabilators deflected down, some with them level. I see some with the flaperons fully lowered, some partially lowered, and some not lowered at all. I see the Viper's cousin, the F-2, with the rudder at full right (or was it left?). And of course I see variations of all the above. What determines the position of these control surfaces once the aircraft is shut down? I know it's pretty common to see the ailerons on F-15s droop down after shutdown, but the position of the Viper's surfaces seems completely random to me.

on F-16 rudder goes always to 0° when the engine stops. Flaperons and stabilators remain in the last position they had when the aircraft is parked. Air brakes are usually closed but before next flight the Crew chief have to check inside of the and will re-open by hands.

I'm not sure F-2 works the same way.