As to the surfaces and where they are when the A/C is powered down.

On F-16's as I worked them All surfaces went to 0 when power was removed (However there are circumstances and cockpit switchology that would and can override this,) except the Leading Edge Flaps, they always stay at -2 degrees unless they are being driven by the LEF PDU and that is another story for a later time.

Now the surfaces (Flapperons Stabs and even the rudder) can be influenced by outside forces.

Gravity and Wind as well as Muscles.

When the hydraulic system is off and the pressure bleeds off they can droop, now not all of them droop at the same rate and speed.

So, they can be at any angle (usually down not up, unless we were doing maintnance on them, and for that we could open a panel or two and manipulate the ISA to allow us to move them by hand)

William G

Edited by William G

100_0657.jpg

I found this Viper sitting out in a field just outside the Lockheed plant in Palmdale. From what I found out this was used for testing the F-35 inlet designs. There is talk that it will be on display in the Joe Davies Airpark there in Palmdale.

http://www.scalemodelworld.netshowthread.php?t=13552

David

Edited by boeing767mech

I found this Viper sitting out in a field just outside the Lockheed plant in Palmdale. From what I found out this was used for testing the F-35 inlet designs. There is talk that it will be on display in the Joe Davies Airpark there in Palmdale.

David

First off, great find. And thanks for sharing.

It was the DSI test bed. I'd love to see it make it's way into an airpark for display. Even better to see a resin replacement for models.

-Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

100_0657.jpg

David

I haven't been over there in a while but here it is at the air park, I heard they are not going to be able to keep it,Lockheed want's it back, but the Mayor is going to try to pull some strings.

Curt

100_6457.jpg

100_6435.jpg

• 1 month later...

I noticed on a few of the last pictures, that the leading edge panel of the taileron is a different shade of grey. Were these panels replaced during MX, is it the angle of the light, or were they really painted in a different color?

I noticed on a few of the last pictures, that the leading edge panel of the taileron is a different shade of grey. Were these panels replaced during MX, is it the angle of the light, or were they really painted in a different color?

I think it's the rain erosion coating.

Cheers,

Andre

I've only just stumbled across this while doing a forum search for non-US Vipers...

Indonesian Falcons....

(sorry for the bad quality of the images... they were taken by pocket camera)

P1000892.jpg

Alex, that's a great shot! Any chance of close-ups of those drop tanks? Esp, that dragon (?) symbol? There also seems to be some tail dragon's tail (if that's what it is) towards the end of the drop tank. Is that a unit symbol? Would love close-ups of those drop tanks.

DSCN1690.jpg

LOVE this shot! So artistic :thumbsup:

nt161822-

LOVE your batch of shots from yesterday. :thumbsup: The two Shaw birds are very interesting. The foreground bird was clearly in Have Glass II paint, was the one in the background in the new paint as well? It looks much cleaner and bluer by comparison.

• 1 month later...

Gents,

A selection various F-16s from Norway, Belgian, Norway and the hosts Holland taken earlier this week at Leeuwarden during Exercise Frisian Flag.

From 323 'Archer' Sqn, one of two RNLAF F-16 units resident at Leeuwarden.

IMG_7274.jpg

The jets I really wanted to see, the new block 52 Polish F-16s. Not fitted with CFTs though unfortunately.

IMG_7072.jpg

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

Next up the Norwegians, who had a large deployment of jets. These recovered just as a large hail storm was building behind, lighting the unique RNoAF light grey F-16s rather well.

IMG_7204.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

IMG_7248.jpg

Finally, the Belgians were also present in numbers, including this example still showing a fin flash from the 2010 NATO Tiger Meet.

IMG_6955.jpg

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...