Western Pacific 737-300 Simpsons

No, the picture actually makes it look better than it really is. I should have taken pictures from the sides before I added the sheet styrene to help fill the gaps, then it would be really obvious how the cover fit into place.

I have several of this kit (v1.0), mainly because of the photoetch included. I reckon even this version was miles ahead (in accuracy, IMHO) of the Minicraft offering, which was perhaps done for a slightly different market (easier to build). Those fuselage barrel sections lend themselves to interesting "what-ifs" :thumbsup:

To get back on thread, nice build, Adam, looking forward to your posts on this.

Got a quick question. How visible are the various panel lines, on the full size a/c? Im trying to decide right now if I want to attempt to rescribe my model. With all the filling & sanding that this thing has required, Ive lost a lot of the panel lines, and at this point I dont know if I want to rescribe it or not. The little bit that I have tried rescribing, Im not overly happy w/, as the plastic just doesnt seem to want to scribe very well, and Ive managed to pull the putty out along the top of the fuselage in a couple of places so now I have to fix that again, and then try rescribing, again.

Got a quick question. How visible are the various panel lines, on the full size a/c? Im trying to decide right now if I want to attempt to rescribe my model.
Depending on the color, some are more visible then others. I would do a search on say airliners.net and see how visible they are on aircraft same color as yours.

Doing a Fast look the tail, nose and around the windows seam to be visible. It is your model and with all them decals etc. looks like you already have your hands full.

If it was me, I think, I would want it to be as smooth as possible to help the decals seat right.

So is anyone else working on a model thats causing so much frustration they are about ready to just throw the kit in the trash?

This build is getting so frustrating for me. I dont want to give up on it, but Im finding it very hard to sit down & work on it. It feels like the fuselage is probably going to be almost totally covered in putty by the time Im done, just to take care of the join seam. And then the gaps at the wing roots are just horrible. Im not sure what Im going to do w/ those areas. I know Im not going to be able to use straight putty to fill them, there's no way I'll ever get that much putty to smooth out cleanly. The wing roots are going to have gaps more than 1/8" wide, probably 1/8" deep at its deepest, and close to 2" long. I dont know how much time Ive got into trying to clean things up, but it feels like every time I sit down & work on it, that zero progress is made, even though I spend 2 or 3, or more, hours working on it.

Ive thought about just saying forget it and buy the newer Skyline 737, I really dont want to give up on this build, and I cant afford to buy the new kit anyway, not right now at least.

Edited by Adam Baker

I recommend the new Skyline edition to you, it really is a pleasure to build and when you don't use the transparent cockpit windows you almost don't need any filler. Maybe you can use the PE from your old kit which makes it not a waste of money :trolls: (and yes, I know that frustration, I'm building Airfix' 737 at the moment and I almost sanded it to 1:200 :cheers:

greets,

Jelle

Adam

Do not put so much pressure on your self. If the need is there cut your working time down or work in spurts, so you do not get so frustrated. I do put a bit of time into my work but I more or less do it in spurts. Just on the windscreen on my C-32 I have at least over an hour on it. I only worked on it around ten minutes at a time thou, Same with other seams etc.

Braking up your time and looking at seams etc as part/section instead of the entire aircraft, help not to overwhelm yourself. You put more time in spreading it out but every time you go back to work, you are at it with a fresh mind.

Fresh mind is key IMO. You can put three hours at a time into something and get no where because you lose your change of thought and start rushing things. If I go down stairs and a seam did not fill good, I will just look the aircraft over see how she looks, fill the seam more and catch back up on things with the family or the Net. When I get bored (SP) of that I will go back to the model. By then My mind is fresh and most likely the filler dry.

Another thing that does work for me and others is having multiple projects. Some other people it dose not work for, they end up having all their builds in the same state of work.

That is where people mess up with multiple builds. For them type of people they are better off building two different types of subjects, be it a Person, Car, Tank or whatever they feel they will Finnish and not let the second subject get them in a rut the same way the 1st one did.

Hang in there, Vent if the need is there, we feel your pain M8 :woot.gif:

Edited by Wayne S

Yea, right now Ive got 4 projects going, and that seems to help. Ive have this one, an F-14A for the Tomcat GB, and then Im doing two 1/35 tanks, a Korean War M-46 Patton, and a German WWII Panzer IV Flakpanzer Kugelblitz. So I kinda shuffle back & forth on these builds, to help keep from going nuts on any one of 'em.

I was hoping to get some progress made this weekend, but Ive been sick most of the weekend. Felt bad yesterday, and then about lunchtime today I started getting a migraine, which has done a pretty good job of killing my whole day. Im feeling somewhat better now, but I dont think I could concentrate on it now, so its better for me to just not work on anything, so I dont end up making things worse.

• 1 month later...

Well, havent had any progress to report on this beast in a long time, I just havent felt like working on it, and have another build that Ive really been putting in a lot of my time on.

Tonight I finally got some work done. I had some more seam work to do on the top of the fuselage so last night I layed down some Squadron White, and then tonight I sanded that down, and then I glued on the wings & the horizontal stabs. Overall Im happy w/ how it looks. Not totally sure the wings or stabs are aligned correctly, but they're close enough so I dont care.

Here are a couple pics I took of how it looks now.

simpsons_013.jpg

simpsons_016.jpg

Hi Adam,

With all the rain we've got this weekend, there's not too much else to do besides model, aye? :worship: All the hard work and frustration with the 737 seems to be paying off for you now though! Just think, once you get this one all painted and on it's gear, the fall-together models will seem like childs play!

Take care, and salutations from your neighbor to the NE! :cheers:

Frank

Yea, it would have been nice to do a lot of modeling this weekend, but unfortunately my mother in law & sister in law are both in the hospital w/ bacterial pneumonia, and then right now Im sitting in the ER w/ my wife b/c she's in a ton of pain relating to a car accident she was in about a month ago, so there's not been much modeling this weekend.

I am happy to finally make this much progress on my build. Its been a long road to get to this point, and hopefully filling the seams on the wings wont cause me to push it back to the back burner again. If it doesnt fight me too much it shouldnt take too incredibly much longer to get it finished. Im looking forward to the decal stage as thats something I enjoy doing on my models.

My gosh, Adam!! Did they find out if it was from a virus or fungus? Hope it wasn't started by a virus, or most everyone who was around them will eventually get sick also. :whistle:

And your wife; hope she's doing okay too and it's nothing that will cause much more pain! Bless your heart, man!

Will remember them in prayer!

Take care,

Frank

Apparently my mother in law had it first, and then my sister in law got it from her. Both are still in the hospital, but should hopefully be coming home in the next couple of days.

My wife is ok. She was in a T-bone accident about 6 weeks ago. She & my mother in law were in our 5 month old car, going through an intersection, when an 84 y/o woman ran the light and hit them broadside in the front pass. side door. Wife's doing ok, but she's got some badly bruise ribs & muscles in her chest b/c of it. I'd think that after 6 weeks, she'd be on the mend already, but its not hte case. Its getting better, its just really really slow.

• 2 months later...

Well, unfortunately this one wont be getting finished by the deadline. I had been getting really frustrated with this one, but had finally started making some progress.

However, about 6 or 8 weeks ago we moved, and I wont be pulling out any of my modeling stuff for quite awhile, so there's no chance to work on this thing before the deadline. And then on top of that, one wing & one horizontal stab got broken off in the move. Thankfully they just came loose at the glue joint, but Im going to have to repair that before moving on. It will get done eventually, just not any time soon.

• 1 month later...