Qatar Airways Decals??

Yup, a baby airbus has to be small naturally... B)

Watch this space.

Giles :lol:

I just discovered the Revell A320 Lufthansa boxing does not include the IAE V2500 engines :cheers: . Always assumed that there was a choice... :)

I need a pair for my QR A320. Is there a kind soul who has a spare pair he does not need?

TIA.

Giles

Edited by giles
1/400 Giles?

Need a microscope there, sir :worship:

Here is the sneak preview of my first QR airliner - a baby A319 :jaw-dropping: .

IMG_4857.jpg

It looks kinda appropriate on top of my Qatar Airways frequent flyer card.

Giles :cheers:

Here is an update of my baby QR A319 - my usual "taxi" between DXB and DOH.

IMG_4861-1.jpg

I was looking for the Qatar Airways luggage tag but could not find one for the last photo. I think the colour contrast is much better, the grey frequent flyer card just doesn't have enough impact.

So far, this baby has been done in spurts while I am traveling. The kit box is big enough to fit all the tools of the trade (blade, saw, cement, putty, sand paper, etc.) and small enough to pack in my luggage... one of the advantages of building in mini-scale.

I hope to mod the slats and flaps in take off or final approach configuration. Hopefully, I will have some time to play with the wings during the Easter weekend.

Giles :lol:

Giles, how can you even SEE the flaps?? :P

Looking very nice there, what will you do for decals?

Actually done the flaps. Am contemplating whether it is worth the while to slat this baby. But, I am totally lost on how to replicate popped airbrakes in scale thickness :whistle: .

On a more serious note, I had the inspiration when I tried to salvage my A330 sheet (daughter spilled OJ on my stack of new decals :worship: ). And, the smaller Qatari Oryx logo for the 1/144 A330 i managed to save seems to fit the tail fin of my 1/400 A320 nicely! Anyway, I have just asked Greg for help on customing/rescaling his QR A330 decals. So, we'll see... But, one thing is certain... the decals (I may need more than one sheet) will cost more than the kit itself!

If I can manage to pull this one off :thumbsup: , it will be a one of a kind baby airbus...

Giles :)

Giles, how can you even SEE the flaps?? :D

Looking very nice there, what will you do for decals?

A quick update - I haven't done much on my baby QR319.

Just back from China, was there last week for the canton trade fair. Flew on China Southern Airlines Airbus A321 both ways. The service sucked, but saw the wing flaps in action real close (from seat no. 19A) which made up for it :P .

I have decided not to pop the airbrakes on my baby QR A319. It is just too small to bother with that. Will probably configure it in taking off or taxing mode instead. Will post pictures later this week if I ever get round to it.

Also, the decals deal fell through. Greg is too busy with his day job. I tried to contact Gaston at Nazca Decals, but no reply yet. Anyone knows how I could contact him?

TIA

Giles :thumbsup:

Nazca Dceals site was updated relatively recently, so I think they are still around.

Haven't tried to contact him though.

F-DCAL could possibly do your request, but it could be a bit pricey (quality is great by the looks of it though).

Gaston made contact shortly after my last posting.

And, he is willing to rescale his Qatar Airways Small Airbus. So, we are back in the business :thumbsup: .

Now, the promised photo of the wings and flaps progress from two weeks ago.

QatarAirwaysA319WingFlaps.jpg

The flaps were cut out before Easter (after I got over the nevousness of mutilating my only copy). The airbrakes and parts of the wing (made with the thinnest plasticard I could find) were largely done over the Easter weekend. Then I had to travel for most of last week - I didn't want to risk breaking the bits so I did not pack the wing with me. The gaps in the plasticard for the airbrakes were only filled, sanded (repeatedly) in the last two days. I will finish up with the sanding (right wing still needs work) and hopefully don't break anything off.

I was hoping to configure my A319 on take off run, if possible, on rotation. But, I don't think I could get anything thin enough to "simulate" the slats. Anyone has any ideas? I was thinking of scrapping the leading edge and then suing a very thin sliver of plain old paper... Do you think I could get away with taking off with the slats retraced in this scale??

:yahoo: Giles

BTW ReiRei0's care package with Hasegawa's A320 and B777 arrived from California, so I might make a start of the rest of my QR fleet...

QR A342, perhaps?

Beautiful jet, I might have to do it! (A7-HHK?)

So your fleet will be in 3 scales, right? Nice :P

QR342? Gareth, don't give me ideas!

I try to limit my builds to the airliners I have actually flown on.

A7-HHK is officially the property fo the State of Qatar and flies with their Amiri flight. I think the flights are operated by Qatar Airways instead of the military though. Anyway, you probably need a invite from one of the Sheikhs to get on board.

About the 3 way scales.

I really wanted to build the QR A330-200/-300 in the 16th Asian Games Doha 2006 livery. I see those planes quite often and IMHO they are a handsome sight. That made me buy my first airliner kit (Revell's 1/144 A340). I have cut one up yto make a -200 and bought another Revell A340 since then. I would like to eventually do all 3 (red, orange and blue) of the special Asian Games schemes, but the tricky part is find the right references and how to do the scheme (short of painting everything). I suspect this will be a long, long, term project. If not, I could always do the corresponding Etihad, Emirates A330 I have flown on.

My first 1/400 kit was found by chance in a dusty corner of my LHS. The temptation was just too great, I had to make a one of a kind A319! Gaston obliged with the decal request. The corresponding Dragon 1/400 A340 was discovered on line. Greg is sending me a set of his QRA330 decal in 1/400.

Then I flew the brand new QR 777-200LR (reg.A7-BBA) from Doha to Cairo in February. They upgraded me to First Class - the inflight was a real treat! I had to build that plane! I could not find the Minicraft 777 locally, so I bought the Hasegawa 1/200 777. ReiRei0 sent me his Hasegawa 1/200 A320 and another 777. So, I now have a QR fleet in 1/200 as well.

Looking back, if I had planned my QR fleet, I would probably have just settled on the Hasegawa 1/200. The fit and quality of the moulding is good and there is sufficient details to satisfy a newbie. Also, decals are readily available in these two scales. Hogan Wings makes a snap together Airbus A330 in 1/200 as well (I saw a finished model in QR colours at Draw Decal's website). The 1/400 scale fleet was totally unintended - it is just happened by chance. And, I am after all an accidental airliner modeler... :woot.gif: The small size worked for me though - I could pack them on my travel. At least, it is something for me to practice before I attempt to flap the larger birds :P .

:lol: Giles

I'll do the 342 then :thumbsup: Could go with my RJ one if I can get the decals!

How long will it take you do do the entire fleet in 1/144th? :unsure: (Wishful thinking like my Landor and EK ideas)

I guess I shouldn't mention the QR A345 (Amiri flight).

O/T but how many times have you been to Qatar? It looks amazing!

I'll do the 342 then :worship: Could go with my RJ one if I can get the decals!

How long will it take you do do the entire fleet in 1/144th? :worship: (Wishful thinking like my Landor and EK ideas)

I guess I shouldn't mention the QR A345 (Amiri flight).

O/T but how many times have you been to Qatar? It looks amazing!

You should be able to get the decals to do your QR342 if you ask Greg nicely :taunt: . I am hoping he would issue the new stylised Oryx livery some time later this year.

An entire QR fleet in 1/144? Well, let me see... going by my past records... many, many years would be a good guess.

Right now I have an A319 and A332 going in 1/400; an A320 and a B772-LR from ReiRei0 I hope to build in 1/200; and a couple of 1/144 A332/333 planned for the 16th Asian Games livery. I also have a A320 missing its transparency... and am looking for a A321 (kinda hard to come by).

I should process through at least some of the smaller scale before I attempt the 1/144s.

O/T - May be about 10 times. The first time I was there was in the early 1990s. I did not return until October 2006 (just before the Asian Games). Qatar has changed a lot since then...

I fly to/thro the Middle East about 3-4 times a year. I used to fly mainly EK (nice livery for a model though) but I dislike DXB intensely. So, I have pretty much switched to QR since 2007. Flown with most of the big boys from that part of the world - Etihad and Gulf Air are also pretty good :worship:.

Giles

PS: Did I tell you I bought a Revell 738 and Greg's Beijing Olympics decals? :worship:

The next Asian Games will be in Guangzhou... I wonder what kind of special livery for China Southern next...

Edited by giles

Ah Giles, I swear you'll have more aircraft than QR.

Here's an idea to save your kits, why not do one of those MyDIO sets Frank has shown.

You can get 2 aircraft out of one, and they look great.

Would go good with your aircraft landing.

Here's an idea to save your kits, why not do one of those MyDIO sets Frank has shown.

You can get 2 aircraft out of one, and they look great.

Would go good with your aircraft landing.

Frank's idea is definitely a good choice if you want to attempt a landing diorama. I would love to do the KLM 744 on final approach into SXM some day.

I might also have to do that for the A332/333 planned for the Asian Games livery, especially if I had to hand paint them... That should free up a couple of fuselages for... lets see... Etihad, Emirates, :thumbsup:

Actually, I had thought of a left and right split on my A320 and A330 - the old livery on one side and the new livery (with stylished Oryx on the tail) on the other. The problem is that no one makes decals for the new QR livery yet.

Giles

I didn't really feel like doing the wings of my A3330, So...

IMG_4870.jpg

I opened this box over the weekend. Another addition to the fleet, but pretty unlikely it'll get completed before this GB dateline. This is the one QR I really looked forward to building. I thought I'd just share it with you guys.

A320andB777fuselageinteriorpaintedb.jpg

Decided to leave the windows open for the 777-200 (I am not sure it is a smart move, but I am a curious person by nature). I marked the excess windows and filled them to make QR's first 777-200LR (reg. A7-BBA). You can see a couple of the filled windows on the top fuselage half.

The A320, in contrast, sensibly came without pesky windows to fill.

A320andB777fuselageclosedandputtied.jpg

Fuselage halves closed. The 777 seams needed some attention. May be it is only on this particular copy - my kit seemed a little warped at front and wing root fairing sections - the bottom do not match up properly. The filler patch at the tail is really my own fault (my penknife :cheers: I confess :D slipped when I was cleaning the left fuselage half).

Giles

• 1 month later...
QR A342, perhaps?

Beautiful jet, I might have to do it! (A7-HHK?)

Hi Guys,

Long time, no squeak...

OpsForgotthe-200Tail.jpg

I forgot about the tail... :lol: It is a -200 after all... had to fix it after gluing the tail to the fuselage... :cheers: After that, Mr Surfacer to the rescue!

A330-200Tail.jpg

Tail sanded... I am making a bird with the new styled shorter tail... so, needs some more work to bulk up the tail/fuselage fairing.

Next, the wings need my attention... Shall I attempt popped airbrakes?

Giles