I'd like to enter with a 1/72 Italeri MkIX, decked out in Israeli colours.

IT0094.jpg

+

VA7255.jpg

I know full well that this kit is a very poor fit, depsite rather nice panel line details. I've built one before (and when I bought it from the 2nd hand shelf in Hannants 2 years ago, there was a second set of sprues in the same box! ) The real reason for joining the GB is to test my skills at Alclading, as this will be my first attempt using it. I only hope I can make a silk purse out of the proverbial sow's ear!

Okay, I’m in…

I never did one of these group builds before so this will be a new experience for me.

I have chosen ICM’s 1/48 scale Spitfire IX for my entry.

Headstart.jpg

As you can see here, I have been cutting off parts and cleaning them up. So I have started it already but it is well within the 50% rule…that is, unless you count all the flash clean up inherent in these ICM kits. If that is the case I am about 80% complete on this build already! :banana:

WingStart.jpg

I have some Interior green painted. I have also have glued the upper wings to the fuselage. I have glued the gun panels on. That is about all I’ve done so I really have not gotten very far.

I will have to replace the seat, because I lost it, with either scratch built or after market. I have been kicking around the idea of re-working the cockpit some anyway, with so much good reference available it would seem like a crime not to beef it up a bit. The down side to that idea is I’m limited on my detailing abilities, getting bogged down, losing interest, and the kit returning to the Closet of Doom. That is where I’ll need help from all you guys. JUST KEEP ME GOING!

No132Squadron.jpg

It was originally the Danish Spitfire boxing (box long since destroyed) but I will be building it as a machine from the RAF’s own No. 132 Squadron from 6 June 1944 (Gotta have those full invasion stripes!). I do not have any photos of this aircraft, only a couple of profiles. One in Harborough Publications, Spitfire- The Story of a Famous Fighter and one from Aircam Aviation Series Supermarine Spitfire Mk I-XVI. If anyone has any photos of this Spit I’d love to see them. (There must be some somewhere!).

Dave Shaw

despite my loads of projects commited to other GBs i will commit a airfix 1/48 spitfire mk V tropical, with eduard photoetch frets and flap down set. and also, a 'captured' airfix 1/48 mk viii in luftwaffe markings. the latter kit would also be providing some spares for the tropical.

Finally decided on a scheme for my XIVc - it's going to be a clipped wing bird operating in Japan with 17 Sqn in 1946. Freightdog did a decal sheet a while ago, but I wanted to have my first go at spraying all the markings on a bird, having only dabbled with the odd code letter here and there in the past. This is a crop from Freightdog's instruction sheet:

05_cropped.jpg

My only concern is with getting the serial right.

The Academy XIVc I'm putting together (here) came with clipped wings, and I believe this particular bird had round, not fishtail, exhausts, which is handy because that's all that's in the kit, and my mantra on this build is "no aftermarket, no aftermarket, no aftermarket". The rudder will be slightly wrong (apparently these birds had the larger one) but I can live with that.

Hello all

I started to think about building a Tamiya Spit Vb in as a weekend project after christmas but soon realized that I would some more goodies for it. So I am now waiting for some Ultracast seats, wheels and exhaust stacks. And since I was waiting I opened a second kit, a mark IX from Revell/Hasegawa...only to find out that I need an upgraded fuselage! So I placed an order at Aeroclub...and I am now waiting as well.

Bottom line, I will throw in two Spits here, both 1/48

1. Tamiya MkVb in an early green/brown livery and using Aeromaster decals, Uktracast seat and maybe exhaust stacks

2. Revell/Hasegawa Mk IX in the colors of the famous "Old flying machine Company" plane, saw this one quite often with either Ray or Mark Hanna at the controls...extras will be the upgraded fuselage from Aeroclub, a Ultrcast seat...still looking for the decals, though!

cheers

Uwe

OK you guys have inspired me to take part so here goes. :cheers:

I have several options in my stash as I have a thing for Spitfires. I am just getting back into the hobby so I should probably start with something simple. I have a 1/72 Hasegawa kit which I want to do like this:

spitfire3.jpg

It was a 99p Ebay bargain so nothing to lose. I particularly like the two blade prop, flat canopy and large pre-war roundels.

Next up will be an Academy Mk XIVc done in Thai Air Force colours. Followed by a Mk IXe Czech, Mk Vb USAAF and an MPM Mk XIX (just because it has resin and I have never used it!) probably Indian Air Force but I will have to make some decals for this. All will be in 1/72.

I will post some pics when I can - my camera is on the blink :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished my Spitfire GB entry (pictures to be posted tomorrow), so as my work area is still a hell hole, I'd like to enter another Spitfire please. This will be the Mk.XIVc with a full KMC resin update set.

spitty.jpg

spitfire18pl_kmc.jpg

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by James H
  • 2 weeks later...

CMR 1-72 Seafire FR46

My first full resin build. It's the original version of this kit. CMR has since re-done it with cleaned up moulds and cream resin and now includes a colour Eduard photo-etch sheet:

There's a Seafire in here somewhere...

1-72SeafireFR46001.jpg

Some clean up required

1-72SeafireFR46006.jpg

These spinners will need some work

1-72SeafireFR46008.jpg

Cockpit

1-72SeafireFR46007.jpg

Superb Decals

1-72SeafireFR46004.jpg

This is the scheme...

1-72SeafireFR46012.jpg

LAUNCH!

I'm in with a 1/24 Trumpy MK VB with waldron plackards, instrument bezels and hopefully Cutting edge parts. Decals are on the way, forgot the squadron but they have the Donald Duck nose art.

Roy

New to ARC but just happened to be in the middle of my own Spitfire build. I've built 6 in the last few months before I spotted the ARC GB.

Firstly I'll be trying the Tamiya 1/48 MkV trop finished in Neville Duke's ER220 from the Aces of the Empires sheet.

Followed by the ICM Mk VII in Pete Brother's markings, again from the Aces of the Empire sheet.

Then.... well we'll see. Maybe a MkXIV or a Seafire 47 or a Seafire III or Spitfire F.21.......

After some thought and harrassment (:jaw-dropping:), I'm in with the 1/48 Eduard Spitfire F.22/24 with included Aires cockpit and colour photo etch. God help me!!!

boxart.jpg

Jim

Edited by James H
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to get back into the hobby after an absence of some years. All I seem to do is buy kits and then sell them on e-bay unstarted months later. :rofl: Signing up to this forum and studying the efforts of others has given me new enthusiam to get stuck in though. So...I'm gonna have a go at the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire MK1. Straight out of the box as the pre-war number 19 sqn example illustrated:

Picture031.jpg

Picture034.jpg

I've always liked the 'shape' of Airfix Spitfires, regardless of any build or fit quality issues. We're halfway through the group build already but I've made a start and I should have plenty of time. So, we shall see...and wish me luck!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I would like to joint this Spitfire GB, with a mark VC

scale 1/48, kit manufacturer Special Hobby

the kit does not include the flat slide canopy (there's a bulged only), so I took one from of a Tamiya kit

subject is Malta defenders

I've chosen one of Beurling's aircraft, coded UF°S, from the Victory decal sheet

It is azur blue over desert scheme

cheers

Marc

Edited by mark58

Ok... only 2 months to go.... and Funny enough, our Local IMPS Club BSK for the next two month's is the 1/48 Tamiya Spitfires.....

So... I going to do 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Vb, with Ultracast Exhausts and Control Surfaces with some nicely turned brass Hispano 20mm Cannons from Air Master.

The paint job will be done in Squadron Leader John G. Pattison D.S.O. D.F.C. Legion of d'Honneur of the 485 Sqn (NZ) RAF

Hi

another Malta spitfire

1/48 scale, Hasegawa, markVb, OOB

decals from Victory productions sheet

249sq, pilot Joseph Lynch

28 avril 1943, "Maltas 1000th"

cheers

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is my first time entering a group build but I'm going to try building a Douglas Barder's Spitfire Mk II from the Revell-Monogram release in 1/48 scale.

Built out of the box, re-scribing the panel lines but no after-market goodies.

Andrew

REV5239.jpg

Just curious, but is one allowed to change their entry?

I was planning on building CF-NUS, but in my current situation I don't have access (for the time being) to an airbrush and proper spray booth. The odd blue shade of the paint doesn't come in rattle-cans, and I really don't want to brush paint.

If I can swich, I would still be doing a Canadian civil Spitfire, Mk XIVe CF-GMZ, using the Academy kit and decals.

photo here: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Imperial-Oi...7e86e32a2b9db2d

I can slap it together lickedy split and paint it with my favourite Tamiya Gloss Aluminum.

If I can't swich, I'll bite the bullet and try to finish 'NUS on time, but it probably won't be painted anytime soon.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

:worship: