"Double take", two more Drakens...

Hi there my friends.

First: Best wishes for 2009. Hopefully it will be a succesfull plastic year for all of us.

Second: "No", I haven't dropped my previous WIP (Mitsubishi F-1 & T-2) !!! While working

on those bird's some other stuff emerged on my bench which slowed down the F-1 / T-2 build

a bit. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up soon...

One of the things that popped up on my bench are these two Drakens. For some reason I wanted to do somewhat of

a speedbuild, just to get something finished for a change. That's when these two little buggers came into sight.

Before I start off I want to express a special thanx to Graig T. for making this build possible...

Thanx a million, my friend !!!

The History:

In the past I have been lucky enough to see "08" perform a number of times and each time I saw it I thought it was

one of the most beautifull birds on the show. I was delighted to see that "08" was released in the plastic kingdom and

decided that I would definately build this bird some day. Quite some moon's ago I learned that Hasegawa was offering a

"Double Take" issue. Back then I thought that this box would be around for quite some time so I didn't realy payed much

attention to it. Once I decided that I would add these bird's to my stash, they were no longer available... Luckily RoG re-issued

the "Red" Draken & one sunny day I was even lucky enough to buy two of these boxes during a sale-out.

D001.jpg

The two RoG boxes which I was able to pick up for a bargin.

Once I had these two boxes I read a post on ARC in which a fellow ARC-er (Graig T.) stated that he had a Hasegawa-sheet left-over.

I immediately contacted him via PM & asked him if he could help me out. Graig sent me a PM in which he stated that he would provide

me with the sheet. I had heard about the "opague-problem" but thought one sheet would always be better than nothing at all. Once I

received the decal-sheet from Graig, it turned out he had been kind enough to send me TWO sheets & the instructions to go

along with them !!!!! Isn't ARC a great place...???!!!

The Build:

OK, on with the build. Whenever I build a model I tend to establish the goal I would like to reach. In this case it would be a fast build

in which I would try to build both bird's OOB. Nothing special, just two nice stunners to the un-trained eye (so don't expect any fancy stuff).

Furthermore I plan to exhibit these bird's on my desk in my office jsut to anoy the local rotorhead community a bit... :doh:

As always I started out with the cockpit. Since this was to be a speedy build I didn't realy spent to much time on the office but decided to do

with the card's I was dealt with by RoG. I couldn't resist to kick in a couple of staps though. Nothing fancy, just some scotch tape...

D002.jpg

Just a simple airbrush job with Humbrol 127, some decals, a splash of green and some straps to "complement" it all.

While things were given some time to dry I started to clean out all the other parts so I could keep up the momentum of the build. Next in line

was the spine. According to the instructions some "dent's" needed to be filled. Instead of using filler I decided to go about things a bit different.

D003.jpg

"Dent's" that needed to be filled.

As mentioned I would go about things a bit differently:

1) I would drill a small hole.

2) I would strech some sprue which I would use to fill the holes.

3) Glue the sprue into place.

4) Trim it all down.

5) Add some superglue on top.

6) Sand it all into shape & polish it all up.

Like so:

D004.jpg

Drilled the small holes.

D005.jpg

Filled the holes with some streched sprue.

More to come in the next post due to the limited number of pic's that can be posted in one post.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Hey....really neat trick!!

Just a thought tho...arent those "dents" positioning groves for the airscoopes behind the cockpit?? or doesn´t the "Ö" have those scoopes? I´m no Draken expert :doh:

Great seeing some plastic on your pics Spooky :D

As mentioned in my former post I would go about things a bit differently regarding filling the dent's.

Here are some more pic's;

D006.jpg

A small close up...

D007.jpg

The holes have been "filled in" with the stretched spue. All that's left is some superglue & to

sand & polish it all. This "technique" can also be used to fill in "unwanted" holes such as the ones

often found in the lower wing-part's of some kit's which are supposed to indicate the pylon-allignment.

All nice & sweet IF You want to install the pylons...

While the spines were taken care of, I had some time to assemble the cockpit's:

D008.jpg

Thing's are coming together rather nicely.

While all of this stuff was layed aside to dry, I turned my attention to the business end of the bird's. Basically it would be sufficient

to just paint the back-end's black, however..... I was a bit concerned that the "Red" Draken would show some colour-difference in

the back-end if I would do so. The white plastic easily turn's a bit darker once the inside is painted black. That in turn might "reflect"

onto the red being sprayed over on the outside (hope this makes some sence...). Anyway, I decided to "build" a small exhaust.

First I took some measurements & looked if I could find some tube to do the job. Unfortenately I wasn't able to find anything that might do the job,

so I decided to scratch-build my own tubing. First of all I cut out a strip of thin plastic-sheet (0,10mm) which I wrapped around a metal rod. Once in

place I placed some scotch-tape around it to keep it all in place and left it on the "central heating system" for a couple of days.

D009.jpg

Like so...

The plan was that after some day's the thin sheet-plastic would have some kind of curvature which would make thing's a bit easier to get into the

final intended shape. And so it did...

D010.jpg

Looking good sofar...

More to come...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Hey....really neat trick!!

Just a thought tho...arent those "dents" positioning groves for the airscoopes behind the cockpit?? or doesn´t the "Ö" have those scoopes? I´m no Draken expert :woot.gif:

Great seeing some plastic on your pics Spooky :)

Oh man, You're spoiling all the fun !!!

But yes "Boy's & Girl's"; Aigore is quite right. As mentioned this would be a fast build so I just followed the instructions. Since these pointed out that these

"dent's" needed to be filled, I just went along with the instructions... Right now I'm not quite sure if I'll attach the scopes afterward. From what I can tell right

now, they look as if they would intervene with the decal that need's to be placed on top of the bird...

And since Aigore has already picked out this "mistake"... Basically the RoG offering won't enable You to build an accurate replica of "08". The Austian Drakens

also had some differently shaped scopes on the exhaust-nacelle & the kit doesn't hold the right vertical tail fairing either... As mentioned I've decided to build

these bird's OOB so I don't think I'm gonna pay much attention to these small inaccuracies...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

On with the "burner-can adventure"...

Sofar I've been able to produce a nice strip of curled-up plastic-sheet. Next I would cut it up into a section that would enable me

to create a burner-can with the right diameter. I had already found the cap of a pen that nearly fitted the job. This cap would be used

to "shape things up".

D011.jpg

Close up of the curled piece of plastic sheet.

D012.jpg

Part of the curled plastic-sheet cut to size and temporarely stuck on the cap of a pen.

Next I trimmed off the excess tape. Now the basic shape of the burner-can was established. The only problem left was that if I removed

it from the cap, it would regain an "egg-shape". In order to prevent it from "regaining" the "egg-shape" I used some thin copper-wire to

"force" the plastic sheet to maintain it's tubular shape.

D013.jpg

While everything was in place I slightly "glazed" it all with a thin layer of CA.

Once thing's had dryed I trimmed the copper-wire and glued the burner-can to the back-end of the kit-provided part.

D014.jpg

Like so.

By using CA I was able to assemble it all within a blinck of an eye. I was somewhat surprised that it all fitted extremely well into the back-end.

Although a bit hard to see on the following picture, You can still make out some dark "shady" lines which are caused by the copper-wire.

Hopefully the effort will pay off...

D015.jpg

Looking closely the copper-wire can still be seen a "shady" lines...

More to come...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

In the mean-time I've also been working on the rest of the kit's. Looking at the result it doesn't look all that impressive, however...

While working on the fuselage I just followed the instructions and didn't realy bother to do a lot of dry-fitting. What could possibly

go wrong with such a "straight-forward" kit...

Boy, was I wrong !!! For some reason the alignment-pin's of the fuselage are just a bit off. This results in a slight mis-alignment of a

misarable 0.10mm !!! Not very much, I know but it will hunt You with almost every other step You make. This misarable 0.10mm will

leave a nasty seam at the intakes & the back-end. First I took care of the intakes. Surprisingly they could be fairly easy fitted by just

some cleaver sanding and a little CA. The only problem left with the intakes was that they would allow You to look straight into the

fuselage. I decided to "chicken-out" & make some intake-cushions. I haven't taken any pic's of the process but I will elaborate some

more on that lateron.

The back-end presented a bit more of a challence. I've seen some 1/48 build's of the Has Draken and they clearly show that this

"big brother" also suffers from a "less than perfect" fit in this area. I've decided to just stick it onto the fuselage and give it a good

rub with some good 'ol sandpaper. After some sweat & tears I've managed to get things somewhat into shape...

D016.jpg

In the meantime the back-end's have also been fitted...

Currently these bird's are waiting for the paint-shed to open up again. Unfortunately the local temp's aren't allowing me to put on

the final coat's of paint. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a try lateron today...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

That´s looking very neat indeed! :woot.gif:

Hope you don´t mind if I steal that "how to make afterburners" to IPMS Gothenburg´s forum? You showed it so well!!

No problem my friend.

If You want to I can supply You with the original (Hi-RES) pic's.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

No problem my friend.

If You want to I can supply You with the original (Hi-RES) pic's.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Thanx Spooky :woot.gif: No need for the highres pics these are perfectly alright! :)

Just gonna do some creative translations of your text :P

Thanx Spooky :) No need for the highres pics these are perfectly alright! :P

Just gonna do some creative translations of your text :P

Okidoki.

Here are some "additional" tip's that might come in handy:

1) Besides the cap of a pen You can also use a solid piece of rod. (I know, pretty obvious when You read it but thought I just point it out...)

2) Once the curved plastic strip is cut into the right size I use a toothpick to give the "mating sides" a bit of an extra curvature. This will also

reduce the "egg-shape" in the end.

3) To determine sizes: I guess "length" won't be a problem. "Diameter" can be measured by using the mathematical circumfence-rule

4) When applying the copper-wire, first straighten out the piece of copper-wire. Mine was a "quick-fit" so there's still a small dent in it here & there

5) I first twisted the copper-wire by hand a couple of times. Once it was "secure" I tightened it using a pair of pliers. Be carefull when You tighten thin

copper-wire !!! Before You know it it will break. While twisting the copper-wire keep "a feel" on it. You'll notice that it will become slightly more difficult

to twist it as it's getting tighter.

6) Apply the CA before clipping off the access amount of copper-wire and "re-seal" it all afterwards

7) Make sure there's enough space to fascilitate the copper-wire on the "inside" of the kit-parts. In my case the back-end pieces of the Draken.

Most of the stuff above is pretty obvious, but I thought I might point them out anyway to You so You can give a complete discription.

Since my Swedish is a bit rusty, I leave the translating part up to You... :woot.gif:

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Assembling at the speed of sound, aren't you? :thumbsup: And one of my favourite aircraft, to top things off! :thumbsup:

Don't know of how much help it will be at this point, but I posted some hints regarding the J-35Oe in my IN-BOX REVIEW of the Revell Draken.

Hi Moritz,

still alive my friend...???!!! Best wishes for 2009 to You & thanx for pointing out Your review.

I myself probably won't make any changes to these bird's since I just want to have some

colourful "Heavy Metal" on my desk. On the otherhand I'm sure some of us will have a look at

this speed-build & I'm sure they will appreciate the additional info.

Now You also know why the F-1 / T-2 are taking a bit longer. Besides these two little buggers I

also have some other stuff on the bench. Although they are slowing down the F-1 / T-2 project

a bit more, I'm already lookimg forward to share progress on these subjects in some more WIP's

to come in 2009...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Looking good. My girlfriend just built this kit, and a tip for the red and white one is to cut the logo over the top of the fuselage to aid fitment ( i cut hers into 3 pieces) otherwise it may require digging into any unopened kits to replace the decal, which will rip!

If you have any of the logo decal left when you are finished and would be willing to let it go, then i'm more than happy to take it off your hands.

Good luck on the build. Will see what you make of those two drakens. It looks promising already :thumbsup:

Thanx MadViper.

We'll just see where these little Drakens will take me. Currently it's too cold at my attic to do some

airbrushing (keep ending up with condensed water). Gave it another try today but it still was no good so

hopefuly the weather will give me a break coming week...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Ohhh gosh... It seems I'm becoming a real internet-celebrity

Real funny to see it all in Swedish. Hopefuly I've been able to help some of You Vikings up north. :thumbsup:

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

I suppose there´s always some sucker ytou can fool :yahoo:

So you didn´t try to google translate it? :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Looking good. My girlfriend just built this kit, and a tip for the red and white one is to cut the logo over the top of the fuselage to aid fitment ( i cut hers into 3 pieces) otherwise it may require digging into any unopened kits to replace the decal, which will rip!

If you have any of the logo decal left when you are finished and would be willing to let it go, then i'm more than happy to take it off your hands.

Hi Antony,

thanx for the tip. I was already contemplating on that thought myself. Currently I'm nowhere near putting on the decals but I surely

give it some thought before I start applying them. As for the "left-over decals"; I'll just hold on to them till after these birds are finished.

Once finished (if all goes according to plan), I ought to be "stuck" with the "left-overs" for Red08 from the Hasegawa boxing. Wouldn't mind

passing them over to You. You might also have a look at the "overview link" from ChernayaAkula. If I recall correctly JackMan is/was willing to

swap the Hasegawa-decals for a RoG-sheet...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

I suppose there´s always some sucker ytou can fool :P

"Vanity & Ignorance are a fool's best friends... " :D

So you didn´t try to google translate it? :)

Wasn't realy neccessary.

1) I know what the subject is about

2) The "tutorial-description" is very simular

Furthermore I just tried to remember all the "MumboJumbo" my ex use to babbel to me.

Since Danish is somewhat simular to Norwegian and to some extend Swedish, it isn't all that

difficult for me to "translate" it all. Besides, I couldn't relate any of it to the kincky word's she

sometimes whispered in my ear, so I guess it all translated pretty descent...

:P

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Hi Moritz,

still alive my friend...???!!!

Very much so, I'd say. :lol: All the best for 2009 to you too! :beer4::woo:

Yeah, the Mitsubishi thread. :taunt: I hope to start painting the cockpit in the next couple of days. There are several other projects that need painted cockpits as well, so there may be a concerted effort to ut out some painted pits. The F-1 will probably be the only "real" (non-whif) aircraft, though. :cheers:

Hey, Spooky is doing Drakens, and in 72nd scale!! :o :thumbsup:

Looking really good, my friend! Just a little note on those air scoops though.

Aigore has already pointed out they in fact existed on the Austrian Drakens,

but only on the left side! So there's just two scoops in total to fit, IF you decide

you want them after all.. ;)

And on another matter, the fin top isn't all that hard to file to form from a piece

of plastic sqare rod. :)

But those Drakens sure look really good! And I've just pinned this thread.. ;)

Happy New 2009, my friend!

Very much so, I'd say. :banana: All the best for 2009 to you too! :beer4::woo:

Yeah, the Mitsubishi thread. I hope to start painting the cockpit in the next couple of days. There are several other projects that need painted cockpits as well, so there may be a concerted effort to ut out some painted pits. The F-1 will probably be the only "real" (non-whif) aircraft, though.

It is very unwise to make comments like that whenever being under the influence of HL

(or whatever it is Your drinking/sniffing...)

:woo:

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: Please PM me before opening Your WIP in order to prevent me from suffering a heart-attack !!!