Maintenance Hangars

Hello,

(Newbie here, so please forgive any mistakes that I make)

Does anybody here have any photos of the inside of modern US maintenance hangars. I know that this sounds a bit odd, but things like the floor, walls, pipe-work, electrical equipment, stands, tools etc.

I want to build a diorama of a maintenance hangar.

Thanks.

For what it is worth, that is pretty much the standard hangar throughout the Air Force, there are any number of variations of course, but unless you are looking for a specific base that one pretty much covers they way they all look on the inside.

JMC

I don't know if I would consider the hangars at Sheppard "standard" since that's the school house. The building, yes, what's inside them, no. I'll have to dig around for my pics or just go take some more.

Sounds like an interesting project!

Mark

Found a couple from Hickam when we broke there once. (During my KC-135 days.) This is a big double hangar. The F-15s and HANG tanker are off my tanker's right wing. I have others buried somewhere I'll have to dig for...

Mark

011_8_0001.jpg

007_4A_0002.jpg

A couple more. First is the phase hangar at Little Rock AFB (guard side) and the next is the USAF hangar at Eloy Alfaro Air Base, Ecuador. As I understand it, they kicked us out of there at the end of last year. That photo is from April, 2006 while I was deployed there.

Mark

100_3717.jpg

100_2452.jpg

I don't know if I would consider the hangars at Sheppard "standard" since that's the school house. The building, yes, what's inside them, no. I'll have to dig around for my pics or just go take some more.

Sounds like an interesting project!

Mark

Yes, that is what I meant, the hangar itself is sort of standard throughout the AF. Usually you only find one or two types of aircraft at any given base, Eglin and Edwards both being exceptions, and maybe Kadena.

JMC

Found a couple from Hickam when we broke there once. (During my KC-135 days.) This is a big double hangar. The F-15s and HANG tanker are off my tanker's right wing. I have others buried somewhere I'll have to dig for...

Mark

011_8_0001.jpg

007_4A_0002.jpg

Ooo Aircraft 290. Was the lower photo taken during a base "open house" day?

We have 2 on the ramp now. The other two are in one mod or the other. Alot of times we are off somewhere screwing off...I mean training. There are still quite a few of the little ugly grey things out there. What were those called? Oh, HH-60s! :taunt:

Curt

Ooo Aircraft 290. Was the lower photo taken during a base "open house" day?

Nope. I took it back in April 2004 when I was passing through and we broke for a walking beam actuator. That's my plane up on jacks since we had to do a gear swing. 290 was in the phase dock next door at the time and I just walked over and took some photos.

Mark

Thank you for all the great reference photos, these will really help in what I am trying to achieve. One question though; are the yellow trays on the floor under the F-15 Eagle there to collect oil or fluid drips?

Thank you.

Jane.

Oh I almost forgot!

Does the USAF use its own standard of warning/health/safety signs or the normal kind used across the USA. I mean things like warning triangles for electrical equipment, chemical safety signs, no smoking signs, fire exits etc.

thank you

Jane

Thank you for all the great reference photos, these will really help in what I am trying to achieve. One question though; are the yellow trays on the floor under the F-15 Eagle there to collect oil or fluid drips?

Thank you.

Jane.

Yes. When the jet stops leaking, that is how you know it needs servicing.

JMC

Nice pics jmel! Do you mind if I ask what camera and lens you use?

Mark

Thanks, Mark. No, I don't mind at all. I'm a Canon guy. These were shot with a 10D or a 40D, with Canon lenses.

Jane, I've got a bunch more from most bases around the US. Is there anything specific you'd like to see? Any specific base?

Jake

I just love how some units dont mind, and others treat you like you're an ultra dangerous spy if you take pictures inside of hangers. I know..I know, OPSEC rules all, but its still a bit...I dont know the word, annoying? When you see pics like this of hangers with sensitive aircraft in them, IE F-22's and the 3rd Wing F-15's, but other units cut you off at the knees and kick you in the face for even asking!

thats much better Brian. at least it looks like some maintenance is bieng done in those hangars. a clean hangar is like a neat model bench, if it is too neat there is something wrong upstairs :thumbsup: