Tamiya 1/32 build either VF-2 or VF-101

Hello all!! This is my entry into the F-14 Group Build. This is by far the most complex build i`ve done in a long time, the last time i put this much aftermarket into something was when i was doing 1/48. I`m planning to use stuff i`ve been accumulating for a while, the group build is great reason to get started. List of stuff I`ll use,

Teknics F-14D Tomcat/Bombcat Cockpit set

Wolfpack F-14D Airframe Conversion Set

Wolfpack F-14 Late type wheel set

Wolfpack Airbrake bay set

Steel Beach Structural reinforcements

As far as markings go i`ll either use Fightertown VF-101 Grim Reapers or Zotz VF-2 Bounty Hunters. Partial to the VF-101 stuff, really like the Grim Reaper figure on the tail. I started yesterday by installing the Teknics cockpit. I have to say it was a fairly easy install. The amount of sanding/cutting that was needed was no more than most other resin `pits but definitley wasn`t a drop in addition. The last resin `pit i did was a Black Box pit in a Tamiya F-4D, what a battle that was. Anyway, with all the sanding i did, the floor of the pilots `pit was sanded away, but all the installs i have seen this is normal stuff. I`ll start adding the little brass bits tomorrow and then, paint.

IMG_3769a.jpg

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don,

Any progress on this one?

I've just found this Group build and since I've started a big 'Cat myself I'm trying to watch as many builds as I can to pick up tips and pointers.

The Teknics pit looks very nicely detailled, can't wait to see some paint on it. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Hi Don,

Any progress on this one?

I've just found this Group build and since I've started a big 'Cat myself I'm trying to watch as many builds as I can to pick up tips and pointers.

The Teknics pit looks very nicely detailled, can't wait to see some paint on it. :worship:

:cheers:

Hello GWU, i have been making slow progress on this. The cockpit uses a lot of very small (for me) resin and brass parts. I`ve been going slow with these to keep the frustration level down, the seats with harnesses i have to make up are going to be "fun" especially since there are no instructions with the Cutting Edge set :thumbsup: . After i finish those i will be ready to paint the `pit and install. I have removed the armour plating from the fuselage sides and am starting to scribe some areas, just to keep making some progress. As soon as i have something to show, i will post some pics.

Don

Don,

Looks like you have a good start with this Cat. I love the look of both CATs VF-2 and VF-101 so that's a hard decision. Well, in my opnion the only solution to this problem is that you will just have to start a second CAT........

.......at the same time

................yeah baby!! :blink:

Mike

Don,

Looks like you have a good start with this Cat. I love the look of both CATs VF-2 and VF-101 so that's a hard decision. Well, in my opnion the only solution to this problem is that you will just have to start a second CAT........

.......at the same time

................yeah baby!! :bandhead2:

Mike

NO!! One of these things is bad enough!! I`ll do another when Satan skates to work!! I`ve been at this thing since Jan 1 and i have a total of 10 kit parts glued together. The aftermarket pit and resribing are very "challenging" and are taking a lot of time. Seriously, after those two issues are dealt with i think the rest should go quicker. I hope.

Don

I finally have some progress shots to post. I`ve managed to rescribe the two upper fuselage parts except for the spine. I`ll have to wait til the nose section is joined to the fuselage to finish rescribing. I won`t be doing much scribing in the area between the engines, the Phoenix pylons will cover most areas. Really wasn`t too hard to scribe, really glad the wings are already recessed panel lines. I did some work on the intakes, really look funky as Tamiya did them. I looked around at other methods done, decided to try a simple way. I made up a simple tapered tube of sheet plastic to be the intake. I better show pics as explaining without will be difficult.

This pic shows how i glued two pieces of sprue into the bottom of the kit intake to raise the tube off the floor and center it in the tunnel.

IMG_3837a.jpg

This pic shows the tube with the plastic tube and Wolfpack engine face installed in tne kit intake. In order to clear the upper fuselage part of the flange of the engine face needs to be removed.

IMG_3838a.jpg

When the tube is installed it has to butt against the rectangular part in the intake side as in the pic.

IMG_3836a.jpg

This pic shows the intake from the front. It is very flexible and conforms to the tunnel nicely. I glued it together with crazy glue. A solvent would distort and ruin the tube ( ask me how i know )

IMG_3824a.jpg

Pic shows the intake with the front ramp installed. This is how i will build this bird, just like the way it looks.

IMG_3835a.jpg

This shows the rear upper fuselage and some of the scribing. Still haven`t cut the rear part off for the Wolfpack conversion parts, will have more scribing to do after this.

IMG_3841a.jpg

Should be able to start assembly on the main fuselage parts, then i`ll move on to the cockpit.

Don

Oh, come on buddy wouldn't you want to have both VF-2 and VF-101 Tomcats sitting in your collection.....lol Anyway, I like the way intakes are turning out and nice clean work on the scribing the panel lines. Good photographs because I can clearly see what you are doing :lol:

Keep up the good work!

Mike

Oh, come on buddy wouldn't you want to have both VF-2 and VF-101 Tomcats sitting in your collection.....lol Anyway

Hello Mike, i do have another Tamiya Cat in the stash that i started a while ago but was put away because of rescribing issues. I think i may salvage that one later on and do a Cat with a gloss gull grey over white. Not sure of the markings, though. I did decide on VF-101 markings for the bird i`m doing for the GB. Not a combat jet but with a sharks mouth and skull and bones ( kinda ) all on one jet.. can`t go wrong!! Definitley better than that "other" squadron with just a skull and bones. Thanks for the feedback, guys!! Really appreciate it.

Question for the Tomcat experts, this panel line has been bugging me since i started with this build. All pictures of built up models show this as a smooth join, but on pics of the real bird there is a definite step from one to another. First pic shows the line in question.

IMG_3876a.jpg

This is how all builds i`ve seen have the seam

IMG_3878a.jpg

This is how i see it in pics

IMG_3877a.jpg

The Revell 1/32 kit is the only other kit i`ve seen this done

IMG_3879a.jpg

This is a pic of the area on the real thing

Right20overwing20fairinga.jpg

So can any one tell me if this panel moves up and down when the wings fold in or out? I`m building mine so it is stepped, i`m just curious why it is like this as it seems to be at a moving panel

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Small update tonight. Yesterday and today i managed to build and finish the wings and assemble them to the upper fuselage. Tamiya did a good job here as the steel brace makes this a very sturdy assembly. I made up some wing glove seals from evergreen sheet. Pic below.

IMG_3902a.jpg

Also managed to paint and install the intakes, i built these with the ramps down. Just like the way they look like this.This part of the build took a while to do, the gaps between the intake and fuselage could be excessive if not carefull with assembly.

IMG_3894a.jpg

Took a deeeep breath, got the razor saw out and cut of the rear of the fuselage in preparation for the Wolfpack fairings. No turning back now. I have the Teknics F-14B/D conversion set as well, but will use most of the Wolfpack as it is easier to work with.

IMG_3900a.jpg

Something i found with the Wolfpack burner cans is they seem undersize. They look too small for the build. Compared to the Teknics cans on the right side of the pictures below, they are smaller in diameter and length. I like the way the Teknics look so i will be using them. The internal detail isn`t as good, but they look right. I should compare size to the Tamiya F-16 ( assuming they got it right) but i don`t feel like building it up. Expensive conversion, using two costly kits for one build.

IMG_3880a.jpg

IMG_3881a.jpg

Don

Edited by dmthamade
Question for the Tomcat experts, this panel line has been bugging me since i started with this build. All pictures of built up models show this as a smooth join, but on pics of the real bird there is a definite step from one to another. First pic shows the line in question.

IMG_3876a.jpg

This is how all builds i`ve seen have the seam

IMG_3878a.jpg

This is how i see it in pics

IMG_3877a.jpg

The Revell 1/32 kit is the only other kit i`ve seen this done

IMG_3879a.jpg

This is a pic of the area on the real thing

Right20overwing20fairinga.jpg

So can any one tell me if this panel moves up and down when the wings fold in or out? I`m building mine so it is stepped, i`m just curious why it is like this as it seems to be at a moving panel

Don

To answer your questions, yes that panel moves up and down. When the wings are out it would be down and flush with the aircraft, when the wings are sweeped back it would be raised and have a step. BTW, that panel is called the over wing fairing.

Reddog :whistle:

Thanks for the answer, Reddog. I`ll build mine with the step, since the wings will be swept back all the time in the display case. I`ve been trying to fit the Wolfpack exhaust fairings for the last two nights What i have found is the left side is much bigger than it should be, lots of excess to be removed. The right side is not as bad, but it will still need some heavy work to fit. I know these parts are resin and like most all aftermarket resin stuff may need some work, but these are in my opinion a poor conversion kit. The poor fit and size of the fairings will need a lot of work to fit, i think a belt sander with 80 grit sandpaper may be the easiest way to rework the parts. I did compare the Wolfpack and Teknics burner cans to the Tamiya can, and found the Teknics can length is the same as the Tamiya but the Wolfpack can is shorter by 2 mm. Too late for me to use the Teknics set, i will make the Wolfpack set fit, and i will use the Teknics burner cans. Pics below give an idea of the mismatch in size. They are worse than the pics show.

IMG_3904a.jpg

IMG_3905a.jpg

Well, time to get the power tools out. Now where did i leave that sawzall?

Don

Hi Don,

thanks for raising the issue about the over wing fairing and thanks Reddog for explaining things.

I'd wondered about that gap myself so now that we know the reason I think I'll try to include it in my current model too.

Oh man!, those Wolfpack fairings look like a ton of work..... :o (~shudder~)

Good luck with those, I look forward to seeing how you manage the fitting.

Stick at it. :thumbsup:

Hi Don,

thanks for raising the issue about the over wing fairing and thanks Reddog for explaining things.

I'd wondered about that gap myself so now that we know the reason I think I'll try to include it in my current model too.

Oh man!, those Wolfpack fairings look like a ton of work..... :o (~shudder~)

Good luck with those, I look forward to seeing how you manage the fitting.

Stick at it. :thumbsup:

Hello Geedubelyer, this is the first Tomcat i`ve built in 20 years. I noticed the step while doing research for the build. I think doing the seam will be easy to duplicate, might be as easy as adding shims under the locators. Will defintitley be different from all other builds.

The fairings... i started on the left side, using #80 grit garnet paper ( yup, woodworking paper, really rough ). There was a lot of material to remove from the side and bottom. I dry fitted first to see where the best fit would be then started to sand. I have to say, the sandpaper really removed material quickly. If anyone tries this, do 1-2 swipes and recheck. To fine tune the fit, i scraped with a knife blade. For all the problems with the parts, at least the resin was very easy to remove and shape. Pic below shows after rough shaping, final fitting will be done after i glue them on.

IMG_3907a-1.jpg

One thing i did find while comparing the Teknics set and Wolfpack set. A complaint about the Teknics exhaust can is lack of inner detail. I found the inner exhaust can from the Wolfpack set fits inside the Teknics can perfectly, like it was made to be. The lip is a little thick, but the added detail might be worth it for me. Pics below show the parts.

IMG_3908a-1.jpg

IMG_3910a.jpg

What do you guys think, is the lip too thick?

Don

{~edit~}

What do you guys think, is the lip too thick?

Don

Hi Don,

that's an interesting find. Who'da thunk that the Wolfpack set would fit right inside the Teknics version.... :salute:

Does this mean one or both are wrong?

As for the lip, the Wolfpack one looks o.k on its' own but added to the Teknics it does look too thick.

No chance of using the outer part from the WP set?

Hi Don,

that's an interesting find. Who'da thunk that the Wolfpack set would fit right inside the Teknics version.... :cheers:

Does this mean one or both are wrong?

As for the lip, the Wolfpack one looks o.k on its' own but added to the Teknics it does look too thick.

No chance of using the outer part from the WP set?

Hello geedubelyer, I`m assuming the Tamiya F-16 exhaust can is correct and am comparing the two to it. I find the Teknics can is the same length as the Tamiya can but the Wolfpack can is shorter by 2mm than the Tamiya can. I also compared to the Academy can and found the Teknics can was the same and the Wolfpack was short by 2mm. I guess it is unscientific, but it`s the best i can do. The lip is too thick, i won`t bother combining the two but will use the Teknics cans.

Spent some time today on the exhaust parts. Using the Tamiya tube halves and the Wolfpack engine rear and flame holder, i cleaned up, painted, and weathered all parts. Couldn`t do anything about the seam in the tube. With these done i can glue the rear fairings onto the fuselage and do any final finish work to them. Pics below of exhaust stuff.

IMG_3928a.jpg

IMG_3932a.jpg

IMG_3934a.jpg

These were done with Tamiya paints, Promodeller washes, drybrushed, ad dusted with MiG Pigments.

Don

Hi Don,

neat work on those jet pipes.

I like the soot and staining, very convincing.

................................................................................

A complaint about the Teknics exhaust can is lack of inner detail.

Don

Regarding the lack of detail on the Teknics part, do you have acces to the DACO book? If so, have a look at p44-p45. From the images, the inside of the outer petals actually looks smooth just like the Teknics set. Do you think the line patterns appear to be the result of heat rather than any surface undulation?

You might be able to re-create the right look with careful paintwork :crying2:

You're making great progress, well done.

:P

The ceramic tiles are pretty much flat but gritty. The black lines (which get represented as the 'rippled' texture) are the fasteners and they discolor black with heat. Anytime the engine is in mil power, the ceramic gets sooty. You see the sand color (clean) from the afterburner. So if it looks clean, they've been using the blower, black is from a lower power setting.

-brian

Hi Don,

neat work on those jet pipes.

I like the soot and staining, very convincing.

Regarding the lack of detail on the Teknics part, do you have acces to the DACO book? If so, have a look at p44-p45. From the images, the inside of the outer petals actually looks smooth just like the Teknics set. Do you think the line patterns appear to be the result of heat rather than any surface undulation?

You might be able to re-create the right look with careful paintwork :worship:

You're making great progress, well done.

:D

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement!! Starting to enjoy the build. I know i whined a lot about the wolfpack fairings, but the work needed to get them to fit really wasn`t too bad. Still, they shoud have been better than they are. Hey geedubelyer, I don`t have the Daco book so i can`t see the pics. What i can see on the `Net shows that yeah, they are flatter than they look. With the info from you and brian, i`ll try to use paint to simulate the effect. No pics today,waiting for some Squadron Green to harden on the intake to fuselage joint. Man, what an ugly seam.

Don

Curiosity got the better of me tonight. I have an old Revell 1/32 Tomcat, and i tried fitting the Wolfpack fairings to it.Cut off the pertinent parts of the kit fuselage, dry fitted the fairings from a second Wolfpack set, and found the fit was very good!! Pics below show the fit after 5 minutes of cutting and fitting. It`s almost like they used the Revell kit to make the prototype fairings.

IMG_3945a.jpg

IMG_3943a.jpg

Don