1/32 Tamiya F-14A VF-213

I'm almost finished with the beast. It's been a three year project due to lost initiative. Anyway, today was a major milestone with the application of decals to the model. This is actually a commission build for a neighbor who worked on the Tomcat for VF-213 during the 1980-81 cruise on the USS America. I started by using the 1/32 CAM decals for VF-213. However, the decals are for the USS Kittyhawk, so obviously I would need to make my own. I used the stenciling from the kit, however...the older Tomcats used high-viz type markings, not the grey low-viz that came with the kit. I also needed to make these. So without further ado lets begin the decal making how to. (The rhyme was unintentional).

***NOTE: THE TASK OF MAKING DECALS (at least in the beginning) CAN BE A VERY TRIAL AND ERROR ASSIGNMENT***

For this kit I would need to make the "Danger Jet Intake" decals and small triangle danger decals red, and some of the rescue decals in yellow...as well as the black USS AMERICA decals.

Supplies:

-Ink Jet Printer and Scanner

-Decal Paper (I use Testors Clear because it's cheap and I can buy it from the local Hobby Lobby...obviously there are better brands, but I'm cheap.)

-Decal Sealer (I also use Testors)

-Scissors

-MS Word

-Some sort of Picture Editing program (again, I'm cheap so I use one of my favorite freeware programs "IrfanView")

-Ruler

Step 1:

Since I already had the decals available from the kit (just in the wrong color) I would go ahead and use them. I started by placing the kit decal sheet into my scanner and made a color scan of the sheet...or in this case, only the section I needed. Depending on what your editing program allows, you may have to change the format of your scan to a JPEG file.

Step 2:

After completing the scan, I opened up my editing program. This is a semi tricky part. Since there were multiple decals on the sheet that I needed to alter, and they weren't all right next to each other, I had to do this next part in sections. I started with the "Beware of Intake" decals. I first cropped those decals so that they were the only thing in the editing window at the time. Then, I opened the "Enhance Colors" tab and moved the red bar as high as it would go, and adjusted green and blue accordingly in order to achieve the best red. I also adjusted the contrast and saturation (this was all experimentation at first) to achieve an even better looking red color. ***NOTE: Depending on what editing program you use, the color enhancing feature may be different*** I also sharpened the decal a bit.

-figure 1: Here is a picture with the editing decals in IrfanView.

Tomcat_1-4-09_Decals022.jpg

Step 3:

After I had found my desired colors and decals I opened MS Word. I copied the edited picture into word. Using the ruler, I measured the actual decal from the sheet, and adjusted the picture using the measuring tape at the top of a word document. I adjust the picture from one of the corners (easiest from the bottom right) in order to keep the same dimensions in both "X" and "Y" of the decal. I also need to type the "USS AMERICA" portion, but since it was in black and I knew the closest font type, this part was easy. I just typed the decal out, then measure where it would need to go (you may have to print a few quick tests in draft to get the perfect size) and adjusted the font size as needed. ***NOTE: If you have decals that are just typed in MS Word, then you can go ahead and print them. You don't need to make any copies of typed decals, which you will learn about in upcoming steps.***

Step 4:

I also needed some yellow "Rescue" arrows. However, I was unable to adjust any colors in order to achieve yellow. I found an old Revell F-14A in 1/48 that had the yellow arrows. Again I scanned these, opened them in the editing program, cropped the picture, copied it to word, and used the ruler and MS Word tape technique to adjust the size for 1/32. Voila! I had yellow decals.

Step 5:

Now that I had all the decals I needed on MS Word, and sizes were adjusted correctly, I printed a color (was close to running out of black ink and needed to save it) copy of the decals on normal printing paper in draft. Once printed came the tedious task of cutting out all the parts. The reason for doing this was to get rid of undesirable tinted red backgrounds from altering the pictures...otherwise I would print a test then print the decal. I cut out all the pieces as shown in figure 2 and 3:

-figure 2:

Tomcat_1-4-09_Decals024.jpg

-figure 3:

Tomcat_1-4-09_Decals026.jpg

Step 6:

After cutting out all the parts, I made another scan with the parts lined up to fit on the decal paper, and as I would figure out (trial and error) I also needed to make sure I lined them up appropriately so that I could adjust them correctly once more in word. It's a balance of both how things fit in word and on the decal paper...there is a lot of cross checking.

-figure 4: Placing the pieces into the scanner

Tomcat_1-4-09_Decals027.jpg

Step 7:

After scanning, I again opened my editing program to adjust the colors just a bit. (I wouldn't have had to do this if I had enough ink to go ahead and print the test color in "best" format...this way the colors are already correct). I then copied the entire picture again (no cropping this time) into MS Word. I adjusted just a bit for the proper size, and printed a test once more on printing paper. When I was satisfied with the proper size (cross checking with the actual decals and such) I broke out the decal paper.

Step 8:

***NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU WIPE THE DECAL CLEAN OF ANY FINGER PRINTS*** I have spent hours trying to figure out what was going on with previous decals before I figured out it was my own finger prints ruining my paper. :cheers:

Once the decal paper was cleaned and spotless, I inserted it CORRECTLY into the printer. I adjusted the print settings for best...and let her rip!

Unfortunately I had a bad case of rushing and stupidity...and printed the first one in black and white. (Trial and Error...or just make sure your settings don't change when you change quality) After readjusting everything, I printed the decals again...in color.

Tomcat_1-4-09_Decals029.jpg

Step 9:

After printing the decals, carefully move to a well ventilated area and spray the decals with sealer. Let the sealer dry overnight. After 24 hours the decals should be usable. Cut them as close to their edges as possible, and go about your normal decal procedures!

Thanks for reading! I hope this helps some of you with making your own decals!

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Thanks Shadowy One!

Another quick update!

The decals are ready and have been applied to the model.

A apologize for the quality of the photos...wasn't the best this time around.

Tomcat_1-5-09_Decals002.jpg

Tomcat_1-5-09_Decals004.jpg

Tomcat_1-5-09_Decals005.jpg

Tomcat_1-5-09_Decals001.jpg

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Huh? I never even noticed. I assumed CAM decals had gotten them correct, but after consulting the cruise book, I can see there is a number 2. I'll have to make one and apply it.

Thanks for pointing that out!

SLICK

Well you certainly made us wait Slick.. :crying2:

I have waited patiently for over a year for this moment and what can

I say but that it is absolutely THE BEST.... :yahoo:

The decals are PERFECT and the weathering that you have done is

very good...TOP NOTCH !!!

HOLMES ;) :monkeydance:

Edited by HOLMES

Well...today was both productive...and I managed to take a massive step backwards.

I flat coated the model yesterday and was finishing all the assembly. I got within 30 seconds of finishing the model when...the canopy fell off and broke! Now I'm in need of a new canopy (somehow) and I have to put the model on hold for who knows how long. If anyone doesn't mind giving up a canopy I will buy it from them...or if they know how I could acquire a new one that would be great. Thanks for looking.

Tomcat_almostdone024.jpg

Tomcat_almostdone027.jpg

Tomcat_almostdone032.jpg

Tomcat_almostdone035.jpg

Tomcat_almostdone037.jpg

SLICK

Hello Slick

All you need is to place on order on the tamiya parts mentionning the ref at rainbowten

it takes them 3 days to receive it and and another 3 days to reach your home I think

So in about a week you can rework on it ;)

Edited by Ghostkiller

Thanks all for the comments. Thanks again Ghost Killer for the Rainbow Ten idea. I searched the forums and found that they seem to be the popular place to go. I have sent an email for a parts inquiry. Hopefully the canopy will be on the way soon!

SLICK

• 3 weeks later...

***THIS JUST IN!! THE CANADIANS HAVE SAVED THE DAY!!!***

The new kit...yes it took an entirely new kit...from what I believe is the oldest boxing of the Tamiya 1/32 Tomcat has just come in! It took a long time looking for kits on ebay and waiting on the mail from Canada, but it is finally here and the project can now be finished!

TomcatfromCanada002.jpg

The new kit is pretty neat and I may even build it for myself at some point. It has Jolly Rogers, Iranian Cat, and Checkmates decals.

SLICK