1/32 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat

Hi Anders,

great model and great idea! :thumbsup:

Want to make something like this picture, right?

immaginekrr.jpg[/url][/img]

I actually model and paint figures and I really do not see big problems in your conversion.Just check the angle formed by the left arm over the chest, does not convince me too...

However I can not wait forward to seeing further progress and sorry for the "anatomical" fact.

:lol: Gianni

Anders, good to see you back at your Cat!

Thanks Marcel! It sure is fun to get back to this project.

Hi Anders,

great model and great idea!

Want to make something like this picture, right?

That pic is so close to the pose I'm attempting to portray that it's almost a bit spooky!

I haven't seen that one before, may I ask in which book this pic can be found? Think I may have to get that book. :crying2:

I get the impression the RIO sits a bit higher in the cockpit than depicted in the kit, but I'm not going to investigate that possible problem any further...

Again, great pic!

I actually model and paint figures and I really do not see big problems in your conversion.Just check the angle formed by the left arm over the chest, does not convince me too...

However I can not wait forward to seeing further progress and sorry for the "anatomical" fact.

Regarding your feedback on the pose of the RIO I can only say :cheers: :lol:

Many thanks Gianni for pointing this out, as I'm not too familiar with the basic rules of anatomy.

Regarding the angle formed by the left arm over the chest, do you mean I should move the arm to shoulder join a bit forward, to something like this? (The arrow is a bit too long in the picture.)

f14a096.jpg

EDIT: I just now found one more pic I can post to help show the current relation between the left arm and chest:

f14a097.jpg

I just want to make sure I understand what is needed before making further adjustments.

Any further input is very welcome! :)

Cheers,

Anders

LOL, if so then the moustache has to stay

Awesome work, Anders!

Yeah, I may have to reconsider my decision on the moustache... ;)

Thanks Aigore!

Cheers,

Anders

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Hi Anders.

Happy to help you.

You understand exactly what I meant .From what I see from your last picture, the arm must be moved just enough to get a more relaxed pose.But as you yourself have noted effectively in the photo that I posted the pilot seems to sit higher than the model.

Therefore, I think, moving forward the arm you still get a very convincing natural pose.

Regarding the photo, it is contained in the World Air Power No.7 Autumn/Winter 1991.

I hope to be helpful and ask me everything you need.

:jaw-dropping: Gianni

Thanks for the additional info, Gianni! :rofl:

The reason I bent the arm to end up behind the chest was that I wanted the RIO to be posed as turning towards the side where he (hopefully) will be communicating with a member of the carrier deck crew.

But making the figure turn to the side still can't result in a pose that in the end looks unnatural, I will take a second look at his pose and make adjustments according to your feedback.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to give advice on the pose, just what I needed! :rofl:

To be continued...

Cheers,

Anders

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
  • 8 months later...

Anything new on the Tomcat front my friend?

Hello Guy, how about I yesterday ordered the new 1/48th Hobby Boss F-14A! :lol:

Actually, the new VF-103 Sluggers decals from Afterburner are a must have for me, and my half-built Hasegawa kit will probably not be finished for another decade so I need another Tomcat in this scale...

Seriously, thanks for keeping an eye on my Tamiya Tomcat progress so far.

Not much to report, but I have in fact been working a little on the RIO figure.

As he has been looking like below (pic re-posted from earlier installment) for a long time I have begun to re-sculpt all the missing sections.

f14a093.jpg

However, things are going slow and not enough progress to make it worth posting an update. But hopefully sooner rather than later... :nanner:

BTW I seem to have lost the email notification on updates to your Tomcat thread, very nice work on those wheels and great to see your continued progress! :banana:

Cheers,

Anders

Hi Anders,

I've just enjoyed re-reading this thread so thought I'd bump it up in case you'd got updates but could n't find your thread....... :)

Anything new on the Tomcat front my friend?

:jaw-dropping:

I'm glad you did bump this thread. Since getting my large scale cats I've been checking the WIPs and somehow missed this one.

Great work so far Anders, I can't wait to see more.

Denis

• 10 months later...

That is a hell of a project! Fantastic work so far! Can't wait to see more!

Don't hold your breath guys, last active post from OP was just about a year ago. But, yeah, would love to see this build back In-Progress

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anders... any updates?

Thanks a lot all of you for your interest in this one!

Don't mean to come off like someone who doesn't bother to post a reply but I was not aware of your posts in my thread.

It sure looks like the automatic email notification stops working after some time. <_<

These last few months I have been more into AFVs and therefor haven't been here much lately.

The Tamiya Tomcat is not written off, and the RIO still gets some attention now and then.

But first on the list is my HB Tomcat, as it is now is near the painting stage (finally!).

Thanks again. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Anders,

As I plod through the plumbing in the nose gear bay on my build I keep re-reading this one and marvelling at the work you did. Remarkably crisp pipework my friend.

Have you managed any more on this one lately?

Cheers,

:cheers:

Hello Guy and thanks for the kind words.

Sorry to say but nothing has happened on this one for a while. Still sidetracked by other subjects... and scales.

Actually, I'm almost starting to think the only thing to come out of this build is a detailed wheel well... :unsure:

Looking forward to see your continued progress, though! :)

• 7 months later...

Thanks all for the interest and encouragement so far! :)

Yes, I am closely following geedubelyer's build - amazing stuff going on there!

While the (updated) Tamiya nozzles still can use some work I am silently hoping for Aires to solve the problem for me, but so far nothing...

Otherwise, I will try to detail the nozzles but not to the level of the mentioned build as I believe such details are simply beyond my capability - both in time and skill.

And yes, keeping my project within the GB deadline already seems difficult enough as is and six months tend to go by just too fast!

Thanks for posting these pics, shadowy_one! I see those squadron specific markings seem to be a very dark gray or even black? Interesting, and I notice that Superscale has all markings in the same tone of gray. Also, this Tomcat seem to be wearing a TPS scheme, right?

Ah yes, this is not easy. Actually I got the old Superscale sheet 32-55 for my Revell Tomcat build way back when - and still today I can't decide which one to build!

As stated before I very much prefer Tomcats wearing low-viz, and the VF-74 tail markings on the Superscale sheet feature just about as much color as I can take. :P

Speaking of color, Superscale says the VF-142 Tomcat should have yellow fincaps and some kind of TPS. I have indeed seen yellow fincaps on the real thing, but on the VF-142 CAG jet, and that particular Tomcat seemed to have a basic overall scheme of FS 36440.

On the other hand, most pics I have of VF-74 F-14As show them wearing a TPS scheme, while Superscale states this jet had an overall coat of FS 36440, a scheme I have only seen applied to the F-14A+/B of VF-74.

The Superscale instructions and decals:

f14a004.jpg

f14a005.jpg

In short, Superscale painting instructions seem to be the opposite to my references, but then again I have not seen every single Tomcat each day of its service life... and I realize that Tomcat paint schemes changed over the years. Some more, some less.

The rest of the decals I have for this build:

f14a006.jpg

The CAM sheet was to serve as a backup for generic markings in case the Superscale decals should fail. May still be needed for national markings etc.

The Superscale Data sheet was also to be used on the Revell Tomcat but will be replaced by the new Fightertown Data sheet.

Oops, still haven't gotten around to starting this kit! Time to get scribing...

Cheers,

Anders

Hello Anders!

I'm sorry I can write you something about "decals theme" so late, but I discovered this thread.....just yesterday!

I would like to say that I'm planning a VF-74's Tomcat too (really smaller than yours!!! ;) 1/72 scale!!! ^_^ ) because I love this Squadron and I pointed to Super Scale decals: well, I discovered there is a little mistake in the BuNo of AA100. 160955 is not an F-14 A, but it's a T-34 C Mentor: please have a look here http://www.andysmodels.me.uk/models/images/Misc/Decals/SS_72439.htm and here http://www.topedge.com/alley/text/f14a/f14ab105.htm.

Talking about my model, the numbers are really small and the "mistake" will probably be not evident. But I believe you need the "real" BuNo.

I'm sorry I cannot give you a solution for this decal trouble, but I have never built a "big" model and, above all, I couldn't say about myself I'm expert in modelling. I restarted one year ago! Anyway, I think it is correct to inform you about this, as I know this is actually the only thing I can do for you.

About the rest, let me say you're doing a wonderful job and I really hope to see more about this Tomcat very soon.

Regards!

CARLO

Check it out here mate. It shows Vf-74 tomcats in overall gull gray and TPS paint jobs.

http://www.tomcat-sunset.org/forums/index.php?topic=548.0

Hello Tom!

It's not possible to register in that website anymore, so it's impossible for me to have a look on those pictures.

I'm really interested in having VF-74's Tomcats wearing TPS scheme images, so could you please post some of the pictures that you possibly have?

You'll do a very big favour to me!!!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards!

CARLO

From what I've been able to tell, VF-74 only wore that style of tail markings during the first half of the '85-'86 cruise (and probably the workups for it), at which time all their jets appear to be TPS. So, big suprise, SS got it wrong again.

Here's a few photos that might help (taken from DVIC):

dnsc8603902ql5.th.jpg

dnsc8603625uq4.th.jpg

dnsc8603625uq4.th.jpg

dnsc8603620mf5.th.jpg

All the markings are in Euro I Gray, along with the NG doors, and I'm not sure if it shows up in any of these photos or not, but interestingly, the ship's name on the ventral strakes just says "SARATOGA", rather than "USS SARATOGA".

HTH, and good luck! :wave:

Hello Daniel!

For some reason I really don't know, the pictures you posted are not visible anymore.

Please, do to me the same favour I asked Tom in the reply above!!! If you don't mind, post (again!!!) the VF-74's Tomcat pictures you have or indicate to me the way to get them!!!

Thank you very much indeed!

Regards!

CARLO

Please post

Edited by strale12

You can look at the photos you just need to email the tomcat association website and ask for membership! They had to make it that way because they were getting so much spam. You wont be disappointed if you join up!

Thank you very much indeed for your kind reply, Tom!

You can't imagine how happy you made me giving me these indications!

Great!!!

I'll email the Tomcat Association for sure!

All the best.

Sincerely.

CARLO