1/32 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat

Thanks, Guy! :salute:

Yes, the more I look at the ladder I think it unfortunately does look a bit heavy as depicted by WD.

I think I will try something out with the Eduard PE parts, but that will have to be later.

(By now there are quite a few tasks left on this build that I've decided to deal with sometime 'later'... :))

Work has continued on those boarding steps and bays.

Lengths of thin styrene rod were used to simulate what looks like some kind of rubber strip going around the inside of each bay opening.

f14a079.jpg

For the steps I attached thin sheet styrene to the outside, making sure to leave a thin edge around all sides.

I also fashioned suitable details for the pair of locking mechanisms found inside those cut-outs:

f14a080.jpg

Those mechanisms are not entirely accurate but I couldn't find a practical way to install details that would be closer to the original.

The steps temorarily installed to see how it all fits together:

f14a081.jpg

As the forward step follows the curve of the surrounding surface this step sits with the outer (lower) surface at a slight angle when deployed, hence the small gap seen along the underside towards the front. (Sorry, not sure how to describe that in correct english... :))

f14a082.jpg

Looking at the above pic I now see that I have forgotten to add the pair of open locking latches found on the underside (outer surface) of each step.

I will have to add those details... hmm... later. :)

Next up, the interior for each bay.

Cheers,

Anders

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Hi Anders,

Your steps are a big improvement over the solid blocks that the manufacturer offers. Equally, your idea of using the thin sheet sandwich to create the edge of the step and allow for addition of the locking catches has merit. Thanks for the tips :whistle:

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone in postponing certain aspects of the model to "a later date...." <_<

I can see my own build taking twice as long as it should as I re-tread the paths I've already covered.

Lesson to us both,.......do the work as and when it arises eh? <_<

Enjoy your modelling, this is looking better and better with every update.

;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guy and Chuck for your encuragement, very much appreciated! :crying2:

Right now all hobby stuff is packed up after our recent move to a new house, which means not much (well, nothing) is happening on this build. :(

However, I hope to get my new hobbybench back in working order soon.

In the meanwhile I thought I should try to work on a few details not requiring having all tools at hand, so I have returned to the crew figures to make some adjustments.

As described earlier both the pilot and RIO will be based on the Verlinden Top Gun figure:

f14a009.jpg

And this brings me to a question on the pilot gear, what could this detail be?

f14a083.jpg

Close up:

f14a084.jpg

I'd guess this is some kind of bag containing the oxygen mask, or could it be the actual mask?

Looking at photos of real pilot gear I have trouble making this detail out (which probably means I should try to get hold of some better photos :lol:).

Any and all info on this would be most welcome. :)

Cheers,

Anders

Unfortunately I cant help you with your question, but man oh man is this build gonna be sweet! I think you might be giving Guy and Chuck a run for their money on your build. Hope all went well with your move, and cant wait to see you back in action.

Thanks JMan, glad you like it! And yes, hope to be back on track with this build soon.

I'll keep searching my through references (well, the ones I can get to) to try to find more info, but perhaps I'll post in the Jet forum also.

Cheers,

Anders

Thanks Guy and Chuck for your encuragement, very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Right now all hobby stuff is packed up after our recent move to a new house, which means not much (well, nothing) is happening on this build. :)

However, I hope to get my new hobbybench back in working order soon.

In the meanwhile I thought I should try to work on a few details not requiring having all tools at hand, so I have returned to the crew figures to make some adjustments.

As described earlier both the pilot and RIO will be based on the Verlinden Top Gun figure:

f14a009.jpg

And this brings me to a question on the pilot gear, what could this detail be?

f14a083.jpg

Close up:

f14a084.jpg

I'd guess this is some kind of bag containing the oxygen mask, or could it be the actual mask?

Looking at photos of real pilot gear I have trouble making this detail out (which probably means I should try to get hold of some better photos ;)).

Any and all info on this would be most welcome. :)

Cheers,

Anders

You're spot on. It's a small cloth pouch that covers the oxygen mask so that dust/crap doesn't end up inside. Some folks carry them, not all. Usually snaps to the SV-2. Next big question though, is what time frame are you doing, because that survival vest went out years ago, and the helmet before that...

You're spot on. It's a small cloth pouch that covers the oxygen mask so that dust/crap doesn't end up inside. Some folks carry them, not all. Usually snaps to the SV-2.

Thanks Peter, great info! :thumbsup:

SV-2, is that the survival vest? So if I try to scratchbuild an oxygen mask it should attach at about the same spot where the pouch is?

Next big question though, is what time frame are you doing, because that survival vest went out years ago, and the helmet before that...

Good point about the pilot gear. My Tomcat will be modelled as an F-14A during the the mid to late 80s, so hopefully these crew figures will be suitable. Any thoughts?

Thanks again! :crying2:

Cheers,

Anders

Thanks Peter, great info! :thumbsup:

SV-2, is that the survival vest? So if I try to scratchbuild an oxygen mask it should attach at about the same spot where the pouch is?

Good point about the pilot gear. My Tomcat will be modelled as an F-14A during the the mid to late 80s, so hopefully these crew figures will be suitable. Any thoughts?

Thanks again! :woot.gif:

Cheers,

Anders

You're good if that's the time frame you're going for. The SV-2 is the survival vest. If you want to do the mask, then where the hose stops at the pouch is typically where the mask is. And yes it snaps to the same spot the pouch did. One of the straps holding the bayonet fittings (which hold the mask to the helmet) have the snap on it, which how/where the mask is held when not on the face. Clear as mud?

HTH

Normally I would chime in right now and say, "why bother since (almost) nobody will notice?" However, with the excellent extra detail you've accomplished already Anders, I think Peter's advice would make your build all that more accurate and satisfying.

You're good if that's the time frame you're going for. The SV-2 is the survival vest. If you want to do the mask, then where the hose stops at the pouch is typically where the mask is. And yes it snaps to the same spot the pouch did. One of the straps holding the bayonet fittings (which hold the mask to the helmet) have the snap on it, which how/where the mask is held when not on the face. Clear as mud?

HTH

Thanks for the added info, Peter!

Clear as mud, you ask. Well, I guess there is always room for misunderstanding a written description, no matter how elaborate.

But the info so generously provided by people like yourself, Reddog and other ARC members really helps me to better know what to look for when seeing a picture of the real thing, and really helps to make the picture complete (so to speak).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, many thanks to all of you for taking the time to provide so detailed answers to my questions. :wacko:

Normally I would chime in right now and say, "why bother since (almost) nobody will notice?" However, with the excellent extra detail you've accomplished already Anders, I think Peter's advice would make your build all that more accurate and satisfying.

Thanks Chuck!

Well, I can't stop now... even if it kills me! :wacko:

Cheers,

Anders

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks Guy, Remington and mareku for the kind comments! :monkeydance:

Have you had any time to work on the Tomcat recently? Any updates or progress you could share, either of the crew, tug or airframe?

Well yes, but no, no and no. :whistle:

Yes, I've had time to do modelling. But no, I haven't managed to do anything substantial on the Tomcat.

It all comes down to my lack of a proper workbench, but pretty soon I will have my new hobbyroom in working order and I should then finally be able to resume work on the Tomcat.

Instead I've been trying to finish up some abandoned projects which doesn't require lots of tools, paints and stuff, like this one:

pak4004.jpg

pak4005.jpg

(I hope you don't mind me posting a little non-aircraft content in this thread... ^_^)

This is the excellent 1/35th scale PaK 40 by AFV Club, detailed with a little PE and scratch. It had been base painted and just needed the final weathering, but ended up on the shelf. Now I'm happy I got around to finishing it.

Anyway, I plan on returning to my F-14 build once the workbench is back up.

Thanks again for your interest! :)

Cheers,

Anders

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My new work area is finally ready! :cheers:

For anyone interested, this is what the workbench looks like:

newworkarea01.jpg

As you can see the bench is rather clean and tidy right now, it can only go downhill from here. :coolio:

But there's something wrong with the above picture. Something is missing...

newworkarea02.jpg

...and yes, that's better!

Back to the Tomcat, then.

During those long, dark days without a proper workbench my progress on this build has been limited to a single detail, I removed the seat cushions as depicted by Aires:

f14a085.jpg

Following Guy's lead on his excellent build I now have sculpted a new set of cushions, but at this time only for the pilot's seat:

f14a086.jpg

The RIO seat will have to wait a little, as the RIO himself will be in his seat and I first need to decide on his exact pose in order to sculpt the new cushions and bring it all together while the putty is still soft.

While at it, I decided to modify a pair of hoses around the headrest area, substituting the resin details for lead wire in order to give room for a little air around those hoses. For now I started with the hoses on the pilot's seat:

f14a087.jpg

Not sure if I can duplicate those details a second time so both will look the same for the RIOs seat but I guess there's no other way but to go ahead and try... :salute:

That's it for now, I hope to get back with another installment in not too long.

As it turns out I have managed to start a pair of other (smaller) projects on the side, but I always knew it would be difficult to stay focused on a single project the whole way... :whistle:

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Anders

aaah......at last! :yahoo:

Good to see you back on this one Anders.

That's some neat detailing on the seat. The seams worked into the cloth pads are a nice touch.

I particularly like the seperate hoses and wires too.

Great stuff :monkeydance:

More soon please :monkeydance:

:trolls:

Chuck, mareku and Guy, many thanks! It sure feels good to finally make some progress on this build. :) But still a looong way to go...

Thanks for the link, Chuck. While I have visited the the ejection site before I had for the moment totally forgotten about it, there are some great pics of the GRU-7 seat there. BTW, those cushions on the aft Tomcat seat has definately seen better days!

After having a second look at the reference pics of the headrest area I decided to modify the larger hose I fabricated for the previous update.

As the real thing looks like more a braided (correct word?) hose I decided to try to replicate this, using a file to add a little structure to surface of the lead wire:

f14a088.jpg

Rolling the wire with the file on a flat surface produced the pattern I was after.

The new wire installed and the fittings somewhat detailed with tape:

f14a089.jpg

Trying to fit everything in the aft cockpit will be a little work. In order to avoid having too many things floating around while I try to fit the RIO figure, I decided to temporarily install the seat using a screw:

f14a090.jpg

This should make it easy to dismantle everything for painting later.

Fitting the RIO shows that just a little (or no) room is left for the foot pedals:

f14a091.jpg

I guess something is fishy regarding the length of the RIOs legs (likely) or the length of the cockpit opening (less likely).

But I will probably leave it as is, since (hopefully) in the end not much of this area can be seen anyway.

f14a092.jpg

Hmm, that Viper moustache really need to go... :D

Cheers,

Anders

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update - and also a question for anyone who knows.

I think the RIOs final pose is getting close:

f14a093.jpg

A couple of pics of the RIO in his seat:

f14a094.jpg

f14a095.jpg

I am not much of a figure sculptor and can only hope the pose is reasonably natural. Further work with putty to fill the gaps will hopefully reveal if there is something about the pose that need to be adjusted.

Now for my question:

I suppose the RIO would bring maps and stuff inside the cockpit, but would those maps be just a few loose sheets of paper, or attached to a clipboard, or carried in some sort of bag? This Verlinden figure does include a bag but it looks rather large to fit inside the cockpit. :D

The reason I ask is that I want to include a few items like maps inside the cockpit, as if the RIO had just entered his seat and had not yet put away any loose items.

Any input on this would be much appreciated! :D

Cheers,

Anders