Next props GB

Greetings to all. I know that it seems like we just finished a rather spirited discussion on this topic recently, so I don't want to rehash all of that. However, the Inter-War GB has just ended, meaning that the Reich Raiders GB is half way done. If we want to continue to follow the GB schedule we have had going the past couple years, now is the best time to decide what will follow the Reich Raiders GB and get it on the ARC GB calendar. To refresh your memories, Reich Raiders GB is part of what we have called tier 1 GBs, which are WWII specific GBs. From past discussions, there are three front runners for a GB to follow the Reich Raiders GB. They are a D-Day GB (the fourth or fifth one I believe), a Carrier War GB (or other similar naval focused GB), and a Blitzkrieg GB. Before we put these ideas to a vote to decide what GB we want to do next, I wanted to get some input from all of you to see if there are any other WWII theme GBs we would like to vote on, or if you all want to scrap the 2 tier system entirely and go with a more free form GB scheduling, as was discussed a couple months back. So lets get some input over the next week and after a week I will put a poll together so we can all vote on what we want to do. Sound good? I hope so! Thanks all and happy building!

I'd love to enter a GB at some point, and given that all I build at the moment are WW2 subjects, that fits in really well for the Tier 1 GB idea. BUT, I do wonder if that could be "done to death" so to speak.

The issue with WW2 GB's is that for the most part, the main protagonists were pretty standardised in terms of type, colour, markings etc, so a GB (to my mind) has to have something "particular" about it to make models of that GB stand out. Thus, D-Day works well as a historical occassion, plus invasion stripes etc. Eastern Front works well with white camo and the like, but they have been done quite a few times.

I had a few ideas about WW2 GB's that could be interesting;

"Non Combatant" GB - Medivac, SOe, Liaison, Trainers etc from WW2, I'm thinking Lysanders, Storch, Proctors, Magisters, Tiger Moths, Ar96, Harvards etc

"Fighting Gliders" GB - Hadrians, Horsa's, Me321's etc

"CAPTURED!" GB - Captured adversary aircraft but from specific references (no whifs)

"Floatplane" GB - We had "splash" but this would be WW2 specific

I thought those might throw up a few more interesting and less modelled aircraft to make the GB a little different?

Matt, all of those sound like good ideas. However, I think we might have trouble getting them approved as GBs. If you all will indulge me for a bit here, the first GB I moderated was the Heavies GB. I wanted it to be just WWII heavies, but the forum mods said that the topic could extend past WWII and they didnt want to limit it, so it turned into all heavies, not just WWII. Not long after that was when the 2 tier system came into effect. WWII subjects made it so that the only planes in them would be WWII and props (yeah yeah, I know there were a few jets and rockets and such). The tier 2 GBs were along the lines of the Heavies GB, stuff we would like to keep just WWII if we had our way, but are broader subjects by nature. Recently we have added prop type specific GBs to tier 2 to shake things up a bit. So, with that in mind, you have some good ideas there, but the forum mods would like not want them to be limited to WWII, so they would be open to prop and non prop alike. Those would fit better in tier 2 as being non WWII specific. In other words, I follow your line of thought that I personally would like to do those GBs and limit them to WWII subjects but GBs like that would not gain forum approval and would have to be opened up.

Also, we just did the PACAIR 2 GB which included CBI.

Edited by jrallman

I'll give you an idea for an off the wall group build.... "Post War Props". This can cover any military aircraft design from WW2 that existed after VE and VJ days up to say 1980. They would have to be props, so this could cover the Israeli War of Independence, the Suez crisis (which would cover the F4U-7 Corsair), the El Salvador / Honduras soccer war, AT-6s in Algeria, the Bay of Pigs A-26s or any of the prop jobs that went on to form the air forces of various countries. How about Brazil and Mexico's P-47s? Or what about the Spanish Merlin powered 109 variants? Okay I admit it needs some refinement, but there were plenty of uses for prop powered aircraft in the four decades that followed WW2 and quite a number of them used some interesting markings. Plus more then a few of those markings have been done as aftermarket decals.

Jay, Also a great idea but again, more of a tier 2 thing if we are sticking to the two tier GBs. Of course, this is all kind of moot now anyways since Mike and the others have submitted DOTR 2 for the next tier 1 slot, so I guess this is more of a brainstorm for further down the line starting in April of '10

Edited by jrallman

I don't have a particular opinion either way (other than a Spitfire GB, and I'm already covered there.... :D ) . If I have a hankering to build something and participate in any particular GB then there is always going to be some subject that I can find that fits and that I find interesting.

Cheers,

Matt

I think PACAIR was popular enough to warrant another Pacific theater GB sooner than later. And if you're looking at next year already, why not? It would fit in nicely after another ETO GB coming up shortly.

Ken

Edited by WymanV

I am all for another Pacific build, but maybe we should change it up a bit instead of just doing PACAIR 3. My personal leaning is towards a Birth of Carrier War GB, which would be heavy Pacific but include some Atlantic and Med stuff as well, but I am open to any kind of Pacific build. Hell, we can put a few of the Pacific ideas on the poll when we eventually do one. I remember there were ideas a year or so ago about doing Island Hopping, CBI, Rising Sun, etc. so drop those ideas in here and I will write them down for when we get closer to this build next year so we can vote on them.

You know what, I just realized that we are completely skipping over a GB slot here. DOTR 2 is for October but there is nothing slotted for April - September of this year. If we intend to do something Pacific or Naval after DOTR 2, then we still need to come up with something to do after Reich Raiders and before DOTR 2. Of course, there is the option of skipping that time slot, but if we want a build, we should get some ideas for that, preferably non Pacific or Naval. I think the two ideas that fit that criteria and tier are D-Day and Blitzkrieg though D-Day overlaps the time period for subjects for the Reich Raiders. Some others that were successful were Eastern Front and BoB, we could re-pop either of those. Any others? I could do a poll with those two, any others you suggest, and an option to skip the April - September 2008 GB slot. Thoughts?

Edited by jrallman

The Carrier GB sounds like a good one, but you'd have to draw a line somewhere that might rub some fur backwards. Especially on such a jet-heavy site.

I like the Unfinished idea too, as I have a few from PACAIR2 that were quite rudely interrupted. Of course, I'm still holding out for the Crap Kit GB :wave:

Ken

That one was included in a past poll for tier 2 builds if I recall, but didn't get much support. We are looking for tier 1 GBs here though, which are WWII specific. I will include the Unfinished GB as an option in the poll as well just so we have an option of a break from WWII builds but keep our GB schedule on track. If we do end up doing an Unfinished GB, perhaps the rule could be that the build has to be 25% or more complete and from a previous GB to qualify? I am still personally leaning towards a Birth of Carrier War GB myself, but I won't put a poll up till Monday, so keep the ideas coming.