Finnish J35S Draken markings questions

I am building a Finnish J35S Draken using the Hasegawa 1/48 kit. In order to finalize my decal design, I need a photo that shows a J35S (similar to J35F/J depicted in the Hasegawa kit, with the chin IR sensor) wearing the old-style larger Finnish national insignia, HvLlv11 insignia on the tail, and WHITE serial numbers (DK-2xx etc.).

The large black serials almost disappear on the dark blue of the camouflage (unless I fade the colors significantly), and I would like to use white serials. The problem is that I was not able to find a particular J35S airframe wearing the squadron insignia and white serials at the same time. I have found some J35BS's that fit the description, but I would like to build a J35S with the IR sensor. Can anyone help?

To give you an idea, I am basically looking for a J35S that has the same squadron insignia and looks exactly like this photo of DK-223 below:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Finland---A...aken/0750156/L/

but with white serials instead of black, like this photo of DK-202 below:

http://www.aircraftinformation.info/Images/Draken_11.jpg

Edited by KursadA
I'm sorry but I fear there i no way to meet all 3 parametres you put:

it looks like all S with IR sensor have been delivered with black fuselage marking.

Checked Jyiry Laukkannen big book,

Cheer

PAolo

This was what I was afraid of: I probably looked at literally every Finnish Draken photo I could find, and I could not find a single one that fit the description above. Looks like I will have to stick with the black serials...

In-progress thread with pics here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=153187

Edited by KursadA

Hi, I checked Jyrki Laukkanens book about the finnish Drakens. There are masses of pictures inkluded. It´s impossible to find one with white markings and IR nose. I found a possible explanation i a swedish book about Draken writen by Bo Widfeldt : the finnish aircraft are of inhomogenous origin. Some of them ar build in finnland (12) and are called S ( Suomi - finnland). Some were borrowed (6 + 1) and later bought from Sweden and called BS. Six were bought second-hand 1984/84 and were called FS. 5 trainers CS.

The S could carry the IR nose - or alternatively not!

BS , FS and individuals DK-207 and DK-215 had white markings. The others had black markings.

I hope this will help you.

Stefan

Hi, I checked Jyrki Laukkanens book about the finnish Drakens. There are masses of pictures inkluded. It´s impossible to find one with white markings and IR nose. I found a possible explanation i a swedish book about Draken writen by Bo Widfeldt : the finnish aircraft are of inhomogenous origin. Some of them ar build in finnland (12) and are called S ( Suomi - finnland). Some were borrowed (6 + 1) and later bought from Sweden and called BS. Six were bought second-hand 1984/84 and were called FS. 5 trainers CS.

The S could carry the IR nose - or alternatively not!

BS , FS and individuals DK-207 and DK-215 had white markings. The others had black markings.

I hope this will help you.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan, this was really helpful. I will take a look at what changes are involved for a J35FS and decide this weekend.

Thanks Stefan, this was really helpful. I will take a look at what changes are involved for a J35FS and decide this weekend.

I read the swedish book more carefully , some new aspects : finnish FS are second-hand swedish F. In reality there were two types of F´s : F1 and F2. Only F2 had the IR sensor type 71N under their noses . Finland purchased only F1´s, 1976 six ones and 1984/85 another 18 ( this was wrong in my first reply).

So it seems the only chance you have is eighter DK-207 och DK-215, both S. In the finnish book you find other S-individuals in early markings with and without IR nose. It must have been removable. No picture of 207/215 with IR nose - sorry.