1/72 Airfix AC-130H

Next big project: The Airfix-kit of the AC-130H. To make it short: Out of the 3,5 different Spectre-kits I know (Italeri, ESCI, AMT/ESCI, Airfix) this one is the worst. A lot of flash in the sprues, details are not present or too big, and the fitting is not very good.

Have a look:

AC-130E1.jpg

These big potholes in the middle are supposed to be exhaust openings... yeah, right, tell me another one... ;)

AC-130E6.jpg

The part on the down left is supposed to be attached somewhere on the kit, but I have no clue what it shall represent...

Well, anyway, I started the kit, I want to make a SEA-Spectre, black underside and belly, SEA-camo on top. I first thought about doing it with 2x20mm, 2x7,62 and 2x40mm Bofors, but I didn´t dare to steal the missing 40mm Bofors out of the more than 20 year old Italeri AC-130A I have. So it will get the 20mm, 7,62mm, 1x40mm and the 105mm. The 105 and the 20mm are from the ESCI-kit, they were spare parts of my AC-130U.

The 7,62mm are scratchbuilt.

AC-130E2.jpg

Of course the sensor-plate is too small (a problem that already appeared in the ESCI-kit), so I scratched-built it as well.

AC-130E4.jpg

By the way, did you noticed? No openings for windows in the whole hull!?!?!!

AC-130E5.jpg

The interior, at least the big sensor-box has been included in this kit.

AC-130E3.jpg

Does anyone have an idea where to get red lettered numbers for this bird? I expanded the original ones that came with the kit on my AC-130H:

Spectre7.jpg

HAJO

• 1 month later...

OK, it´s a bit later than the end of the month (although I didn´t specify WHICH month :thumbsup: ).

I did some major progress over the last weekend, and was able to get the first layer of paint on the model. I haven´t attached the wings yet, it´s easier to handle the thing without them.

AC-130E7.jpg

AC-130E8.jpg

Will propably be another 4 weeks till the next update.

HAJO

Does anyone have an idea where to get red lettered numbers for this bird?

For numbers you want stock number MG748 at this link:

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com...artRow=41#MG741

They're dry transfers, but you can rub them onto clear decal film and then seal them with Microscale liquid decal film.

If you need letters you want stock number MG741

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some update. The pictures I´m showing now were safely stored on my PC at home, I forgot to upload them before I went out...

Well, finally, here they are. They show the decals that I applied and the Future-coat over all dark areas.

AC-130E95.jpg

AC-130E96.jpg

AC-130E94.jpg

HAJO

• 1 month later...

It´s finished! I presented it yesterday on our monthly hobby club meeting, it sure looks good, although with some more motivation (the kit simply sucks!) I surely could have done better. Anyway, here are the pictures:

AC-130d.jpg

AC-130c.jpg

AC-130b.jpg

AC-130a.jpg

One fine day I will make a biiiig report about the four different Spectre-kits in 1/72 scale.... One fine day... :D

HAJO