Fujimi 72nd scale Spitfire XIVe

Gents:

Here is my entry started on 04 Jan 09. Some sub assembly and painting started.

The box

IMG_0005.jpg

Some painting and sub assembly with the decals to be used

IMG_0006.jpg

This one shouldn't take too long, so I might have to do another.

Alvin5182

Continued:

Armour plate and seat frame from Italieri kit..........in absence of any internal detail.

IMG_0016.jpg

THE seam taped..........for a Spitfire

IMG_0018.jpg

Putty for THE seam

IMG_0019.jpg

THE seam after rub down with nail polish remover and tape removal

IMG_0023.jpg

Alvin5182

RKic:

I live in the boonies and I couldn't find 3M Acryl blue at my local automotive supply store so I tried this stuff. Evercoat-ever-glaze and spot putty. It comes in a 16 oz tube and at the rate I build/use it, I should have it about 10-15 yrs. It dries quickly, doesn't shrink appreciably and sands easily. Reacts well with nail polish remover for cleanup of the seams as shown in the photos.

Alvin5182

looks like you found a winner.

A quick question. I noticed that you're building the humpback version of the bird. My Academy Mk XIVe has the bubbletop with the same Belgian markings. I don't have any historic photos of either or, so now I'm wondering which (both?) is correct, because I was considering building a Belgian XIV myself.

RKic:

I have a couple of photos of SG52 in the Profile series #246 that show two photos of the a/c in camouflaged config. as IQ*S of Ecole de Chasse and one in the silver finish as 3R*V of 2W/2 Esc. ( I can look up the meaning if you want) Both pictures are of crashes suffered by the a/c. with serial #s plainly visible. I'd scan the photos if you want, but they are a bit grainy and small. say about 1 1/2 inches by 3 inches. Let me know.

The Spitfire "bible" confirms the info re service with 414 Sqn RCAF , the two crashes and ultimate write off with the Belgians.

Al Davis

PS: Give me the serial # of the a/c and I will see what I can do to match it with "the bible" and the other info I have. There are also a fair amount of photos of Belgian Spits in the Arco-Aircam series (#8) on Spitfires from MK. XII to24.

Let me know if I can help.

Al Davis

Edited by alvin5182
RKic:

\

PS: Give me the serial # of the a/c and I will see what I can do to match it with "the bible" and the other info I have. There are also a fair amount of photos of Belgian Spits in the Arco-Aircam series (#8) on Spitfires from MK. XII to24.

Let me know if I can help.

Al Davis

The aircraft I want to build is an Mk XIVe with the codes UR*G and serial 5G 45. Again, Academy has this as a bubble top canopied, clip-winged aircraft. If this is incorrect, I'll build one of the other options in the kit

RKic:

I have a picture of SG45 as a high back and coded UR*Q. RAF serial # RN119 formerly with 402 Sqn RCAF.

There is a picture of UR*G in the Arco-Aircam book. It is shown as a bubble top airframe with clipped wings. Unfortunately someone in the photo is standing in front of the serial #. There is also a colour profile of UR*G showing it as SG45

However in the profile series it lists SG45 as the former RN119 but there is a note that states that this a/c never wore the codes UR*G and was not a bubbletop.

RN119 is listed as the former AE*J of 402 Sqn RCAF and then tranferred to Belgium as SG45 in "the bible". Somewhere I have a photo of RN119 as AE*J (I built a model of it some years ago) and it is definitely a high back.

Confusing eh?

Al Davis

RKic:

I have a picture of SG45 as a high back and coded UR*Q. RAF serial # RN119 formerly with 402 Sqn RCAF.

There is a picture of UR*G in the Arco-Aircam book. It is shown as a bubble top airframe with clipped wings. Unfortunately someone in the photo is standing in front of the serial #. There is also a colour profile of UR*G showing it as SG45

However in the profile series it lists SG45 as the former RN119 but there is a note that states that this a/c never wore the codes UR*G and was not a bubbletop.

RN119 is listed as the former AE*J of 402 Sqn RCAF and then tranferred to Belgium as SG45 in "the bible". Somewhere I have a photo of RN119 as AE*J (I built a model of it some years ago) and it is definitely a high back.

Confusing eh?

Al Davis

A model company screwed up the markings?! Thats impossible!! <_<

I'll probably build one of the Indian options provided in the box then. Less codes means less chance of it being incorrect. Right? :P