I figured now would be as good a time as any to go ahead & start my WIP thread.

Im doing Academy's 1/48 F-14A, using the kit decals, for VF-143 Pukin Dogs. The kit itself looks pretty nice, no extra flashing and that sort of thing. And the decals look pretty good, my last completed build was Academy's 1/35 MH-60G Pavehawk, and the decals were horrible.

My biggest issue, is the painting instructions for this kit, are terrible, pretty much to the point of being non-existent. There are call outs for like painting the cockpit tub grey, and the missiles white, but thats about it. It gives a diagram of the high-vis scheme on the back, where it shows where to place all the decals, but it doesnt say what colors to use, and that sort of thing. If anyone could help me out w/ FS numbers, I'd be greatful.

Now on to the pics.

Box top, just to show the kit being used.

F14A_001.jpg

The decal sheet

F14A_002.jpg

And what Ive completed so far. I decided to start working on the missiles first, just to give me something small to work on, while the putty on my build for the Airliner GB was drying.

F14A_003.jpg

And one last question. Twobobs has an ordnance sheet, right? Does it have markings for the Phoenix missiles? The instructions for the kit say that the bands on all the missiles are supposed to be black, however all the stripes provided on the decal sheet are dark blue. So Ive thought about possibly getting an ordnance sheet so that I have the correct markings. I plan on going w/ the 4 Phoenix missiles on the bottom, since I really like that look, and I know this one isnt set up for any A-G weapons.

Edited by Adam Baker

Adam-

The FS colors you'll need are:

16440 for the topside fuselage

gloss or flat white for the underside (whichever you prefer spraying)

36231 for the cockpit

Some general colors to include black, yellow, red, Tamiya clear green (for the screens in the pit), Tamiya clear red, Olive drab, steel and silver will also be needed.

As for the kit decals, I hate to be the bearer of bad news my friend, but you might as well go ahead and trash those. The Academy kit decals are horrible, and with the plethora of after market decals available, you should be able to find yourself something.

If you can get your hands on one, get a copy of Figtertown's F-14 data sheet. It contans markings for both inert and live AIM-54's.

If I've left something out, I'm sure Brian P will step in and assist, or if you have any more questions feel free to post.

As for the kit decals, I hate to be the bearer of bad news my friend, but you might as well go ahead and trash those. The Academy kit decals are horrible, and with the plethora of after market decals available, you should be able to find yourself something.

Hear hear! Those Academy decals are not worth the paper they are printed on. In fact, throwing them in the trash is actually an insult to the trash can.

Also....a little tip that will make life a LOT easier down the road. Cut off those gears on the wings, and notch the outside edge of the hole it would mount. That way, you can build the fuselage and paint it and then add the wings afterwards.

This pic is a couple of Revell/Monogram wings, but the principal is the same....

rev_wing_fix.jpg

Edited by paul.nortness

Thanks for the tip on the wings, I'd seen that method on someone elses build, I think a Tamiya kit, but I was wondering if the same thing was possible w/ this kit.

I was afraid someone might say that about the kit decals. It seems to be a recurring theme w/ Academy decals. I guess I'll just start saving my pennies, and keep an eye out. I know there are several sheets available that I really like.

Well, Im not really set for anything beyond the model of a/c. I just went w/ the Pukin Dogs b/c that was what the kit decals were. I know one of the sheets I really like is the NSAWC decals that Fightertown has, b/c its a flashier paint scheme, and thats the sort of schemes that I like to build. But at this point I think that cost is whats going to dictate the decals that I go w/. My modeling budget at the moment is very small

Edited by Adam Baker

Does anyone do decals for VF-154 The Black Knights? Ive seen this a/c in a couple signatures here, and think its an awesome looking scheme. Ive looked on Fightertown, and only one set of VF-154 decals for their last cruise, and Im not sure where to look beyond that. I only found a couple listings for F-14 decals on TwoBobs.

f14-squadron-vf154-02.jpg

Edited by Adam Baker
Well, Im not really set for anything beyond the model of a/c. I just went w/ the Pukin Dogs b/c that was what the kit decals were. I know one of the sheets I really like is the NSAWC decals that Fightertown has, b/c its a flashier paint scheme, and thats the sort of schemes that I like to build. But at this point I think that cost is whats going to dictate the decals that I go w/. My modeling budget at the moment is very small

Would you be opposed to doing this scheme?

VF-33 F-14A

If so, I have the decals and I'll let them go for $5.

Nah, I dont really like how that one looks, thanks for the offer tho. And thanks for looking Paul. I just checked my paypal account, and I actually have money in it that I didnt know about, and its about enough to probably buy a set of decals, so that will help a lot. Just have to find one that I really like.

Just a quick update, didnt have much time to do modeling tonight, so I spent a little time working on both of my GB builds.

This is what I accomplished on the 'cat.

I followed Paul's advice, and cut the gears off the wings, and notched the hinge pockets.

F14A_004.jpg

F14A_008.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can get more done.

Just thought I'd post up that Ive decided to go w/ the Fighertown Decals NSAWC sheet. Im going to do mine as the blue splinter bird. Im going to be ordering the decals this afternoon when I get home from work.

Guess this means I need to change my sig picture, and my thread title.

Thanks a ton Tom. I went looking, and found the sheet you were probably referring to. Its very close to the image I posted. Biggest difference is the decal that goes on the fuel tanks. Does anyone have any idea of decals like those have ever been used anywhere? I really love how the tanks look, and would love to have it that way.

Here's the decal page from the Squadron website. Now Im not sure which scheme to do, haha.

AN48793a.jpg

f14-squadron-vf154-02.jpg

Edited by Adam Baker

Adam I want to do that same scheme. I can't find them either. But I also prefer the white sword I think it looks much better. I never saw them side by side or one on top of the other I always assumed that they were identical except for the tanks but now I see the Modex is different as are the tails.

Well, I finally have some progress to show.

I figured that while I was trying to figure out what decals to use, I could at least work on getting the fuselage assembled. So last night I started working on things and started joining the 2 halves together, and then finished it up this morning. Overall the fit wasnt too bad. Had a few places where it gave me some trouble.

I started working on the left side and worked my way to the tail, and then back around the right side up to the nose. Only real problem was when I got back up to the cockpit on the right side. It was light the top half was slightly warped, or flattened or something b/c I had to squeeze the fuselage to get the 2 halves to line up correctly.

F14A_009.jpg

Thankfully after it dried, the seem was pretty decent. Still got some clean up on it though, b/c its not perfect, but at least I dont have 1/8" of material to hack off to get it right.

F14A_011.jpg

And just a couple shots of things fitted together. At least its starting to look like a Tomcat.

F14A_013.jpg

F14A_014.jpg

I also have the cockpit parts all sanded & assembled as much as they have to be put together, and in a little bit going to be firing up the airbrush to paint everything. I got lucky, and realized that i already have the Dark Gull Grey mixed for the cockpit. I used the same color for the interior of the MH-60 I built for the Helicopter GB.

Edited by Adam Baker

I have a question that I just thought of. Im assuming the openings around the glove vanes should be as large was whats visible in the second image, right? If I remember right, the gap is almost as large at the other end of the vane. Any suggestions on how to fix it w/o loosing the detail of the vane?

Has anyone ever used Waldron Cockpit Placard kits?

Ive got a set for a 1/48 F-14A, and I have thought about using 'em, but Im not sure. The instructions arent real great, and it looks like it just replaces the parts in the cockpit that already have more accurate raised detail, so Im not sure I want to replace those areas.

This is what Ive got.

f-14cockpit.jpg

Your build is looking really good. I have had a hard time deciding whether my next tomcat will be an NSAWC tomcat too. I love the Pukin' Dogs though too. I think you should go with the Pukin' Dogs though, it is a classic scheme and you can load it up with missiles too. Most NSAWC jets did not have much or anything hanging off of them. Just a thought... Keep it up!

Well, got a small update. Didnt get much done today, looks like Ive picked up some kind of stomach bug, and just didnt have the energy to do much.

Got the cockpit mostly painted up. Still have to do the seats, and paint the black surround on the cockpit, and then it'll all go together permanently. I decided to not use the Waldron Placard kit that Ive got, for this build. I just dont think that Im ready for that kind of thing yet, and I dont have a punch & die set to make all the holes, but I know this wont be the last Tomcat I build, so it'll get used eventually.

On to the pics. Its not much, but at least its forward progress. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

F14A_015.jpg

F14A_016.jpg

F14A_018.jpg

Edited by Adam Baker

Ok, Ive finally decided on a scheme for my build.

VF-124 VF-124, NAS Miramar Bicentenial scheme, by Eagle Strike, just ordered it from Sprue Brothers.

f14-squadron-vf124-01.jpg

eag48040.jpg

Ive seen this one a couple of times, and thought it was kinda cool. But after searching again, I decided on this one. I lived in San Diego till I was 13, and lived for most of my time there, not too entirely far from NAS Miramar, so that kinda helped me decide on this scheme. Hopefully it'll arrive pretty quick. Anyone have any idea if this scheme would have had any ordnance on it at all? Regardless of whether it did or not, I'll probably hang the standard load on it, just b/c I like how the F-14 looks loaded down.

Edited by Adam Baker