Hello All: A past ARC'er here in Calgary asked me to post this on his behalf. The stash is an amazing collection of kits dating as far back as the 1950's.

I recently was able to help out a local family and I purchased a large 1200+ kit collection from their family member's estate. The fellow modeller had been collecting aircraft kits since the 50s, and had quite a few interesting and some very rare kits in the pile. Needless to say, I don't need 1200 more kits in my stash!

To help folks look at what's up for grabs, I cobbled together a web site (I did this kind of stuff in a past life.) with all the kit details and box pics. You can search through all the kits on the site so far... about 900. The rest should be there by the end of the week. The web site seemed the best option, as I suspect it will take some time to whittle this pile down.

The main site is at http://www.classicmodelaircraftkits.com

Anyway... the prices are there for each kit in both C$ and US$, but I'm open to offers... especially if you are looking at more than just one. Some of you guys have already combed through the pile, so I thought it was time to give everyone a chance.

Now for the conditions: I accept PayPal, and international money order only - PayPal is quicker. First come, first served. I'm located in Western Canada, and the buyer pays for actual shipping - no handling fees added. I like to combine orders, so if there's a few of you in one location we can work something out. All sales are final - no refunds. I've tried to provide as many details about each kit as possible, but feel free to email me with any specific questions. My email is on the Web site.

Getting this collection ready to sell has prevented me from sitting down at the workbench, so hopefully, now that this part is done, I'll be able to get back to building my own stash.

Thanks for looking!!!

Very cool collection of kits.

There were models/aircraft in there that I have never even heard of.

I also want to comment on how professional the website looks/performs. Very nice touch. This should help people appreciate the kits even more......and help you sell them sooner.

JED

Glad you guys are enjoying the site. He does very good work!

Too bad many of the kits cost more than a brandnew one in the shop .

Many? He did a lot of research both at online stores and eBay to set his pricing. With 1200 kits - some almost 50 years old - a few are going to be over-priced, and some will be under-priced. He's pretty open to feedback, and if there's something you want he is open to offers on a purchase of multiple kits.

B

Great collection .

Stef

I actually thought that most are either at or below typical "going rates" that one sees on E-bay for example. At worst, the prices for some of the rare kits seem to be set at a fair "collectable" rate.

:thumbsup:

Mike

I actually thought that most are either at or below typical "going rates" that one sees on E-bay for example. At worst, the prices for some of the rare kits seem to be set at a fair "collectable" rate.

:thumbsup:

Mike

I agree, I've been doing alot of shopping over the past few months and those prices are fair. I have never seen a private estate sell done in such a fashion and am impressed.

• 3 weeks later...
Great collection .

Stef

Totaly agree !!!

Including P&P You even end up well over average store-price !!!

The way I see it You've been able to buy the entire stash in a single sale. Now let's say one would pay 10.000 USD for it.

Surely a huge amount of money, none of us would consider paying for such an offer. But anyway... Looking at the prices listed

let's say it comes down to approximately this:

100 kit's at 70,00 USD

100 kit's at 50,00 USD

100 kit's at 30,00 USD

900 kit's at 10,00 USD (average)

That would add up to a whopping 24.000 USD !!!

Nice profit if You ask me... Buying 1200 kit's at once surely means You're taking the risk ending up expanding

Your own stash with a couple hundred should the selling thing don't work out... But hey, put out a post like this on several

modelling sites and You quadrouple Your chances... And besides, each model turns out into a collectors-item in time so

prices can only go up if You're willing & able to wait a couple of decades...

Just to make sure we're all on the same page:

1) :coolio: for helping somebody out !!!

2) I'm not trying to put up a fight, nor do I doubt any-ones good intensions

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

BTW: What did You pay for the entire lot, if I may ask ???

P.S.: I've just been able to strike a deal with Hasegawa. They are willing to supply me with 2500 examples

of their F-104 (1/48 scale) for only 5,00 USD a piece !!! Since I'm a nice guy I'm offering them well

below normal price: 12,50 USD a piece (excluding P&P). I'll let You all do the math's...

:pray::pray: ;)

(TRULY meant as a joke !!!!!)

Spooky,

Who cares what the owner paid for the collection. Profit is not a bad word.

Each buyer will have to decide if it is worth it or not. NOW at some point the seller may re-evaluate his prices if things are not selling, but those kits are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Respectfully

Ryan

Not sure exactly what your point is Spooky? So you'd buy over a thousand kits (as you said taking the risk on yourself), sort and catalogue them, rent a van to haul them from their storage to your storage, build a website, then package and ship all 1,000+ of them out of the goodness of your heart? Good on ya, you're a better man than most. You're also better than every hobby store out there, last I checked they're only in business if they make a profit too.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to put so much effort into taking a shot at the guy. Has his effort harmed you in some way? We're all big kids here - people can look and make their own decisions about his prices and choose their vendor accordingly.

B

P.S.: I've just been able to strike a deal with Hasegawa. They are willing to supply me with 2500 examples

of their F-104 (1/48 scale) for only 5,00 USD a piece !!! Since I'm a nice guy I'm offering them well

below normal price: 12,50 USD a piece (excluding P&P). I'll let You all do the math's...

:lol: :worship::pray:

(TRULY meant as a joke !!!!!)

I'd be willing to buy into this venture.... ;)

I'd be willing to buy into this venture.... :P

That's a deal dude !!!

We'll share the profit 50/50. There's only one little problem...

I'm some 12.495 USD short. Willing to help me out here...???!!!

:banana: :o :P

As for "my point" regarding my earlier post:

1) The initial post start's out with "I helped some-one out". Within the psycological world this "trick" is

often used to gain sympathy and imply some-one is of good intension.

2) The post continue's by somewhat implying that the guy is now willing to help us out (without even actualy saying so out loud)

Once again, within the psycological world this often work's if people fall for the first trick !!!

The thing that somewhat bothers me is the way "the story" is brought to us. Why not just open a post, include the link and say

something like "Hey guy's, check this out. Lot's of model's (including classic's !!!) up for sale against fair prices !!!"

If memmorie serves me right I even recall a simular post quite some years ago. Not sure if it was her on ARC though, but the story

was quite simular: modeller died, family left with huge stash, I helped them out, I'm offering them for reasonable prices, check enclosed

list - see linky... To me it all appears as some "aggressive advertising" trick.

As for the offer:

* the website sure hold's quite some nice "classic's"

* prices are reasonable fair (overrated compared to the story, but fair)

* I'm not questioning the good intensions

* Yes, there nothing wrong with making a profit

As for my posting:

* I'm not looking for a fight

* I'm not going to argue over the subject

* I feel free to vent my opinion

Finaly:

* I'm not pointing fingers at "Wild Bill"

* I'm not questioning his post, nor his good intensions !!!

* If You wanna exchance Your money for any of the models offered, please DO feel free to do so.

* Maybe You even get lucky at finaly getting that model You've been trying to track down for decades

* I'm just trying to point out to You guy's that this might be a form of so-called "aggressive advertising"

& thereby luyring You into buying something You don't realy want to. If so I'm just trying to tell You guy's

to think twice before You go out & spent Your hard-earned cash on something that's not all that neccessary...

I hope I've been able to address some of the questions regarding my post.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: let's keep this place the way it is;

a fabulous place to hang out, enjoy the modelling hobby & speak out Your opinions freely...

But then again: just my 2c.

You've got way too much time on your hands. He "helped" them by buying bulk at a price they were comfortable with and spared them weeks/months of cataloging and packaging while dealing with their grief and tying up the deceased's other affairs. They actually approached him, no strongarm tactics or sales pitches involved.

As for helping modelers, the only "help" he suggests is that the website helps people find what they want. There are no strongarm tactics in his post, no fabrications, none on the site itself, and he makes no promises of greater glory to buyers. He does however have a page on the site that clearly defines the model descriptions etc - the nerve!

One minute you demand to know details like what he paid for the stash, the next minute he's a manipulator for telling the whole story. In the words of Shakespeare, "The lady dost protest too much, methinks." In other words, you've used about four times as much press space and much stronger language than the seller has - to accuse him of being manipulative!

We'd all be better off if we just get back to building kits. Just because people can vent their opinions doesn't mean they should or that there's any value in it. I hope your day goes better than it appears to have been.

B

I gotta admit, upon first seeing this post, all i could think of was that this was one of those "pull on the heart strings" type of things, wanting us to feel bad for the deceased's survivors type of thing.

I even thought that Wild Bill was the one who was the "good friend" of the deceased, and that he was the one who put up the website.

Upon the second (or was it the third?) time reading the OP, I realized Wild Bill was just posting someone elses words (hey, I never said I was all that bright :woot.gif: !)

I checked out the website, and checked the "about us" link, and realized it was some entrepreneur who had bought (key word) a collection from an estate. He was now selling them off, for profit if he could get it, to sell off his inventory. He isn't trying to "help the family out", he's already done that by buying the lot.

Instead of hoarding them, he's offering them for sale, at pretty reasonable prices, from what I've seen. He's not trying to take advantage of anyones good will. I would say that his original letter could have been written a little better to help avoid this confusion (Not you, Wild Bill, but the "past ARCer").

He's even reduced prices on alot of the kits.

If I had the money, his pile would be a bit smaller!

Good luck to him!