Decent UH-1H or MH-60 in 48th

Hiya

I was thinking about a Vietnam era UH-1H or Air Force flavor SpecOp MH-60 in 48th. What are the offerings in 1/48th?

I know Italeri has some H-60s, are they worth the effort? I couldn't find much on UH-1Hs, what is available?

Thanks in advance,

mason

There are now a decent options for MH-60 to buy. They are not the greatest of qualitiy, but a good starting point. You got the italeri

MH-60G PaweHawk,

it2612.JPG

a bit older moulding but with the internal fuel tank, miniguns etc... review HERE

and the MH-60K SOA boxing,

ITA2666.JPG

which is of newer date and has almost everything you need with better details than the previous boxing without the internal fuel tank, miniguns. The review for the latter is HERE

Then you have the Academy=Minicraft series MH-60K

mc11623.JPG

and the MH-60G which are quite similar to the older Italeri runs, and to some are a better choice than Italeri kits, fit-wise. Anyway you will need to add CobraCompany's resin update sets which offer a lot.

Hope this helps you out a bit...

Cheers, Mario

Beware, the MH-60G and MH-60K are not the same aircraft. They have different weather radar set-ups and sensor suites. The USAF does not use the K model, only the US Army's 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) uses the K model. Further, the upswept ESSS wings in the Academy K were not bought and are not used by the US military.

For a good UH-1D/H (either can be built from the kit) the old Esci (reboxed by Italeri) UH-1D model is really good. Italeri has a few D and H models that are pretty nice.

Beware, the MH-60G and MH-60K are not the same aircraft. They have different weather radar set-ups and sensor suites. The USAF does not use the K model, only the US Army's 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) uses the K model. Further, the upswept ESSS wings in the Academy K were not bought and are not used by the US military.

For a good UH-1D/H (either can be built from the kit) the old Esci (reboxed by Italeri) UH-1D model is really good. Italeri has a few D and H models that are pretty nice.

Gino,

I thought that the Blackhawk that was shot down by freindly fire was configured with the wings and tanks and that made it look like a hind?

joe.

Gino,

I thought that the Blackhawk that was shot down by freindly fire was configured with the wings and tanks and that made it look like a hind?

joe.

Not sure which one was shot down by friendly fire, but... The ESSS wings the US military went with are the down-swept version (yes, similar to a Hind's, sort of).

They look like this:

UH60.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

Gino,

Sorry to diagree, but the Esci and Italeri 1/48 UH-1D/H's are totally different molds. the Italeri kit was the basis for the 1/35 Dragon/Panda kit and the Esci kit is the scaled up version of their 1/72 kit (which WAS reboxed by Italeri). There is also a SAR boxing of the Italeri kit by Revell Germany that gives you some really nice extra bits like a hoist and medical equipment. Esci also had several boxings of their kit, one of which has stretchers and such to make a medivac bird. Personally, i think the Italeri/Revell kit is far superior to the Esci kit, especially in the shape of the tailboom. Plus the Esci kit has the assymetrical windows in the cabin doors which look kinda wierd. Just my two cents.

Ray

Doupnic

am not a very expert in 1/48 Huey kits i just have a year in modeling

but.. i have do 3 italeri 1/48 UH-1H and i like them very much...

i have never do a Esci one but i will soon do my first Esci Huey.

i have also listened from some mates here that when they do a Esci Huey they used the Italeri Huey kit cargo doors for it

in my opinion the Italeri 1/48 hueys are good and are the ones i allways select for a Huey built i think you can do a nice Huey with one of them.

here a couple of picture of the kit and the kit done hope it helps

i did it complete Out of the Box only added the Fireball decals set

(sorry for my English am working on that )

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_5916.jpg

Edited by charles
Not sure which one was shot down by friendly fire, but... The ESSS wings the US military went with are the down-swept version (yes, similar to a Hind's, sort of).

They look like this:

UH60.jpg

thanks Gino. Does anyone make a conversion to the downswept wings in 1/48? I really want to do my -60K with wings.

The Blackhawk shoot down is summarized here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Black_Ha...otdown_incident

Regards,

joe.

• 4 years later...

Gino,

Sorry to diagree, but the Esci and Italeri 1/48 UH-1D/H's are totally different molds. the Italeri kit was the basis for the 1/35 Dragon/Panda kit and the Esci kit is the scaled up version of their 1/72 kit (which WAS reboxed by Italeri). There is also a SAR boxing of the Italeri kit by Revell Germany that gives you some really nice extra bits like a hoist and medical equipment. Esci also had several boxings of their kit, one of which has stretchers and such to make a medivac bird. Personally, i think the Italeri/Revell kit is far superior to the Esci kit, especially in the shape of the tailboom. Plus the Esci kit has the assymetrical windows in the cabin doors which look kinda wierd. Just my two cents.

Ray

Pretty much agree with Ray here. Besides the tailboom and doors, the engine doghouse on the Esci kit is a bit off.

I wouldn't call the Italeri kit great, but it's the best out there at the moment, shape-wise. The detailing is a bit clunky for my taste, and it has some errors so it really doesn't depict a military UH-1H right from the box. The biggest problem is it has a 212 rotor system, with the broad-chord blades. It also depicts the baggage compartment door in the tailboom (which was on commercial 205's), although there is also an ill-fitting blanking plate provided. Sure wish someone would tool a state-of-the-art long-body Huey.

Thanks. I am now looking for the Italeri or RoG SH-60B along with the Italeri UH-1H. The MH-60G will wait.

Thanks again.

mason

You should start with the Italeri or Skunkmodels HH-60H. You will save time in cutting in the port windows from the Cobra Company kit, on to the left side of the Bravo kit.