This one is for the Columbus gang, or anyone who is familiar with the Convention Center and surrounding area.

In an effort to get some kind of a brainstorming session going early, I was wondering if we could start floating some ideas as to where to meet for the annual ARC gathering(s). I was just looking over the website for the Hyatt, and it says that the hotel bar closes at midnight. Is this par for the course for Columbus? Previous experience has shown me that most people are more than willing (and capable) of staying out much later than 12, and I was wondering if there were any other suitable locations nearby that might be open later....something that would be willing to accommodate a boatload of raucous model geeks til the wee hours of the morning. <_<

Just trying to get the idea wagon rolling early, folks...looking forward to hearing ideas/input on this.

This one is for the Columbus gang, or anyone who is familiar with the Convention Center and surrounding area.

In an effort to get some kind of a brainstorming session going early, I was wondering if we could start floating some ideas as to where to meet for the annual ARC gathering(s). I was just looking over the website for the Hyatt, and it says that the hotel bar closes at midnight. Is this par for the course for Columbus? Previous experience has shown me that most people are more than willing (and capable) of staying out much later than 12, and I was wondering if there were any other suitable locations nearby that might be open later....something that would be willing to accommodate a boatload of raucous model geeks til the wee hours of the morning. <_<

Just trying to get the idea wagon rolling early, folks...looking forward to hearing ideas/input on this.

The "arena district" is right across the street from the hotel, and there are numerous bars and restaurants there that are open well past midnight on weekends. I will do some scouting and let you know.

Look up Nationwide Arena, or Arena District and you should find some bars for sure.

-Scott

Steve,

I am trying to think of somewhere downtown, but nothing is coming to mind that I would recommend. May be something new in the arena district I don't know of but most of the late night stuff in downtown Columbus involves certain adult entertainment. Plus, I wouldn't suggest just blindly walking into some bars right off the street as you could recreate a scene from Police Academy(Blue Oyster bar) if you get my drift. Better to stick with the hotel unless anyone is willing to drive a few miles. Buffalo wild wings on campus or a couple different Hooters on the outer rim.

Sorry I can't help more, I just choose to party outside of downtown. Plus, with the sports teams we have around here, we don't get much to party about.

As far as the Arena District goes I'm not sure what Adult Entertainment you are refering to unless it is the College girls walking around in outfits leaving very little to the imagination. For the most part the bars that are there are what I would call college bars/clubs. (Yes there are the "Blue Oyster Bars" but for the most part you know before walking into the place.) The bars aren't like places to sit, drink, and talk about plastic for the most part with a huge amount of people. There are some better restaurants etc. but the question is how big of a group you talking about?

As far as the Arena District goes I'm not sure what Adult Entertainment you are refering to unless it is the College girls walking around in outfits leaving very little to the imagination. For the most part the bars that are there are what I would call college bars/clubs. (Yes there are the "Blue Oyster Bars" but for the most part you know before walking into the place.) The bars aren't like places to sit, drink, and talk about plastic for the most part with a huge amount of people. There are some better restaurants etc. but the question is how big of a group you talking about?

Sorry man, wasn't meaning to drag all of downtown down with most of it. Last time I drove down High street from I70 towards campus the downtown area didn't quite look to be the best place to be at night. No college girls there. I know alot is done around "short north" but that is mostly art shops and it is closed by 11. I just can't think of anywhere in the area that could handle a large number of people. Campus is what, 20 blocks away? I would make a bet the hotel bar might make an exception if there was enough people.

Jeff

That and I think we need to get a ARC group trip to the local hobby shops and USAF museum. (That or we could talk up a day to go, and all sign up for that...)

As far as making the rounds for the local hobby shop scene there are only 2 really good shops to go to IMHO. The rest are either Hobbytown USA, which plastic selection is laughable at best (I used to work at one of them), or the kit selection at other shops consists of the most recent release of Revell or Snap Fit kits.

As far as the USAF Museum there will be a trip leaving from the Hotel I think on Thursday (check the website). Dayton is about a 45-60 minute drive from Columbus. Last I checked there were only 2 hobby shops in the Dayton area and they are OK. Also give yourself some extra time for the AF Museum gift shop.

My suggestion for the AF Museum, if you have never been there before, is to walk through the entire museum real quick to get the lay of the land and see everything. After that go back to the begining and start over because there will be something you didn't see the first time. And don't try to read everything as you will not finish seeing the entire museum by 5pm.

• 5 weeks later...
As far as the Arena District goes I'm not sure what Adult Entertainment you are refering to unless it is the College girls walking around in outfits leaving very little to the imagination.

:worship: :D

• 2 weeks later...
A And don't try to read everything as you will not finish seeing the entire museum by 5pm.

Hi all

Is there a chance that they let us stay after regular closing time like they did in 1997? I remember I felt like in a small boy´s dream of being locked alone in a toy (or candy) store.

Jozef

Hey I am going to have an ice chest full of cold ones in my room!! I am SURE the wife wouldn't mind a party!! :cheers:

Mike i have seen what you wife looks like i dont think she going to put up us lot if so i supply some Canadian brew

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be wherever the party is.

I'll say this now so that I can prepare her... my wife is pregnant so we have a designated driver!!!

Is there any official plan yet? I seriously want to meet some ARC'ers.

• 2 months later...

So who's doing what-where? Stevie are you the point man for an ARC dinner "thang"? Thursday night is the manufacturers dinner sponsored by IPMS and Mikey and I will be there.

So what are we doin' fellas?