What are you looking forward to the most at the USAF Museum?

We will definately do an ARC trip out to there......I'm guessing enough guys will be at the Nats with cars that bus transportation won't be needed and we can just car pool. I would think either Thursday or Friday would be the ideal days for a trip to the Museum......most people will be at the Nats by then. I mention Thursday as a possible day becasue there will be full tables of models to enjoy on Friday at the Nats and Saturday is the last day and there's sometimes good deals in the vendor rooms. The nats gets busier as each day passes. The ideal day to hit the museum is on the first or second day of the Nats....but the problem with that is many people don't attend the whole event.

But how many people CAN you fit into an old Triumph? ;) :cheers:

Alvis 3.1

Are we talking good looking young ladies or overweight middle aged modellers? :thumbsup:

The myth of overweight middle aged modellers has been completely disproven by serious modellers over the years. Everyone knows that leaping to conclusions, running off at the mouth and flying off the handle is a great way to keep off the weight!

Alvis 3.1

Steve N, those pics are great, but I have to wonder why they went with such dark colours as background for such great aircraft. If nothing else, lighter ceilings and walls help illuminate the scene with reflected light, and might actually allow less power to be used for similar lighting (Cost savings on that can add up). As for photography, that dark just plain would suck! IMHO anyhow...

Alvis 3.1

I have to wonder why they went with such dark colours as background for such great aircraft.

Three words: At Mo Sphere. They're going with "theatrical" style lighting throughout the museum, with spots and colored gels. Unfortunately, it's all "high key" light, with very harsh shadows and no fill. Looks dramatic to the eye, but makes it nearly impossible to get a decent photograph.

Here's an example..this is the B-10 in the "Early Years" gallery, which has a more or less olive drab ceiling. As you can see, everything not in direct light disappears into a black hole. (The pic was shot by putting my camera on an extened monopod and holding it over my head.)

SN

01-09-09187.jpg

While the prices are no bargain, the bookstore there is extensive and can comsume much of the precious 9-5 time (already shortened due to the R&D/Annex tour). Did they ever get the missile hall complete with the ICBMs? Whatever happened to the space suits collection?

I am going up from Louisville area for only Thursday and Friday 1/2 day, cannot stay for the weekend and the majority of the entries.

BW

I have a friend coming up from Va for the Nats and we are going on Thursday. I have room in my van for 5 more people if anyone wants to tag along. Won't do any hobby shops as we will be leaving the largest one in the country. Send me a PM if you want to ride along and I will hold it and we can set up details later.

Jeff

When the new hangar was built i did alot of the hvac design work on it. After that project was done they requested a bid to run the duct up near the roof in the older two hangars like we did in the new hangar. I believe it was so cost prohibitive they decided not to go thru before the repaint. They wanted us to work over top of the aircraft at night so the museum would not have to shut down or sections closed. It is truly an awesome museum. The "behind the scenes" tour is well worth the time. Two years ago i did the design work on the two big C-5 hangars, the fuel system hangar and the new squadron operations building. I have since moved to Minnesota but plan to visit the museum on in April while we are in Dayton.