Tamiya TS-80 flat coat spray can - what's the verdict?

I'm lazy. Nothing new. I hate cleaning the airbrush and I've read a lot of good stuff about Tamiya spray cans. Now I'd like to have a flat coat from the can.

Is Tamiya TS-80 any good? Almost picked it up at the LHS today. "Almost" because a label on the top read "Do not spray over decals". :thumbsup: Is it okay to use over decals sealed with Future?

And is it safe to use over acrylics? There is a label on the side of the can saying something about it being an acrylic, but I don't trust it as all cans from Tamiya at the LHS have the same label. This "label" is a big sticker covering the Japanese characters, translating the text. But as I said I don't trust it as all cans use the same sticker.

If there are topics on that, please point them out. Search is someone's friend, but it isn't mine. :wave:

What are your opinions? :lol:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Tamiya Ts paints are lacquer-based.

I killed a nearly-finished model with the clear TS spray.

You'd better let it in the stash and spray future with some drop of flta base, or buy Mr Color Topcoat ( a real acrylic flat clear).

I've decanted TS-80 and shot it through my airbrush; I have been extremely pleased with the results, and have had no issues spraying over both enamels and acrylics. The key is to spray on very light coats, and the stuff will dry almost as soon as it hits the surface, yielding a very matte finish.

I would not consider spraying it straight from the can, as you have very poor spray control, which could lead to puddling and 'melt-down' issues.