I've never seen the Maintrack conversion, so I don't know what all is included in it, however, with the exception of the RC type boom pod fairing and AEELS cheeks (please don't call them SLAR fairings - no RC ever had SLAR except the one and only RC-135E Rivet Amber, 62-4137), everything you'd need for an RC-135U would be best found in the EC-135C boxing from AMT/Ertl. The Combat Sent had a normal tanker type nose, not the hog nose as on the RC-135V kit. Again, not being sure what's in the RC-135U kit, it may in fact have all of that.

The other issue with any RC-135U, V, or W (or S or X) is the engines. If you want to do an up to date Combat Sent, not only will you need the CFM56 (F108) engines from a KC-135R kit and loads of new antennas, but you'll need the newer RC-135W style E-Systems cheek fairings. The RC-135C, U, and V originally had cheeks designed by Martin Aircraft, and those are what's in the RC-135V kit from AMT/Ertl.

If you want to do one with TF33 engines, it's more of a challenge, since you have some conversion work to do on the engine pylons. It's fairly complicated to explain, so contact me if you have questions.

If you have other specific questions, let me know.

J

Gents:

I have the Maintrack conversion kit. In it is the Nose for the "U" and several other radomes/fairings along with the two small "W" style cheeks. Additionally it has the IR jammer fairings for the engine pylons.

Mark

Gents:

I have the Maintrack conversion kit. In it is the Nose for the "U" and several other radomes/fairings along with the two small "W" style cheeks. Additionally it has the IR jammer fairings for the engine pylons.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Any chance you could shoot some pics of the conversion set and post them? I've always wondered what it looked like, and what the quality was. There is no other source for the E-Systems AEELS cheeks...

J

UKPonchoMan

Hey bud, sorry I didnt get to see you at the nationals, I did get there but I went to look at a car on the way up so I only got about an hour there before I had to go again before I fell asleep right there in the food court lol

Next year maybe!

AMT never did an RC-135U no, they only did an RC-135V.

Ive been talking to the guy who owns the maintrack moulds, or should I say the guy who owns the masters, the maintrack moulds are gone but...

He needs to get over an illness before any of this can happen but last time I talked to him he was willing to do a comission run for me on some of the maintrack parts, including the RC-135U set, the short tail for the KC-135, an EC-135H conversion, a run of ELINT cheeks from the RC-135U [they are the lower exxtended versions, one of two types used by the RC, the other type is in the AMT RC-135V kit], some of the inner pylons without the t/c intakes, some of the outer pylons with t/c intakes and some composite rotor blades for the MH-53J Pave Low III/IV.

Ill let you know how I get on with him, Ive got the cash waiting to go so its just a matter of him accepting it and casting the parts.

He isnt really interested in doing a full run of them, he doesnt think there is a market for any of the parts, or no market large enough worth him spending his time and effort on, especially as the 135 isnt a love of his, he would prefer to do parts ne knows will sell, which is fair enough as far as Im consirned, which is why im willing to pay so much for the comission work

Hi Mark,

Any chance you could shoot some pics of the conversion set and post them? I've always wondered what it looked like, and what the quality was. There is no other source for the E-Systems AEELS cheeks...

J

I would photograph mine, but I keep getting flash glare, the pictures just look like they are of white blobs ;)

The Maintrack is a start, but its not right. The chin profile is really wrong. The E-Systems cheeks are pretty well done.

RC-135s are a tough build. They are all different and change often. You need to pick a photo and you need multiple views of all the antennas.

I have over 5,000 hours of RC-135 time and I haven't attempted one.

I'll have a set if he can cast 2! I suspect that Haydn (mig23) may have similar thoughts!

Any likelihood of you getting to any other shows this year?

Chris

UKPonchoMan

Hey bud, sorry I didnt get to see you at the nationals, I did get there but I went to look at a car on the way up so I only got about an hour there before I had to go again before I fell asleep right there in the food court lol

Next year maybe!

AMT never did an RC-135U no, they only did an RC-135V.

Ive been talking to the guy who owns the maintrack moulds, or should I say the guy who owns the masters, the maintrack moulds are gone but...

He needs to get over an illness before any of this can happen but last time I talked to him he was willing to do a comission run for me on some of the maintrack parts, including the RC-135U set, the short tail for the KC-135, an EC-135H conversion, a run of ELINT cheeks from the RC-135U [they are the lower exxtended versions, one of two types used by the RC, the other type is in the AMT RC-135V kit], some of the inner pylons without the t/c intakes, some of the outer pylons with t/c intakes and some composite rotor blades for the MH-53J Pave Low III/IV.

Ill let you know how I get on with him, Ive got the cash waiting to go so its just a matter of him accepting it and casting the parts.

He isnt really interested in doing a full run of them, he doesnt think there is a market for any of the parts, or no market large enough worth him spending his time and effort on, especially as the 135 isnt a love of his, he would prefer to do parts ne knows will sell, which is fair enough as far as Im consirned, which is why im willing to pay so much for the comission work

I have emailed him again tonite to see if he is well enough to carry on, Its been a good 6-9 months since or last emails so...

Its not just a matter of paying for the conversions, I will be paying for the creation of the moulds too remember, which pushes the per unit cost quite high!

Im ready willing and able to pay the very high cost because the 135 is right up there in my top 5 list.

Im going to try and get to some shows this year yes, it will only be the ones in the south I think because I work monday to friday now and I need all my annual leave days to go on holiday [can only take two this year becasue we have 10days taken away by a factory shutdown]

The Maldives and Gran Canaria this year I think :thumbsup:

Cant hardly wait!

Hey Jennings,

Where were you in AK? I used to get stuck back filling the security troops when the RC-135S Cobra Ball came in to Eielson in the mid '80's. I was assigned to the 343 SPS which was a part of ACC but the 6 SW was a tenant unit on base. When SAC played, we played!

I've always held a morbid fascination with any of the RC's as my dad was part of the crew that was lost on Rivet Amber. I've had an 'E' in the works for the past couple years. It's one of those that I've wanted for years kits but don't know where I'd put it.

I've been after to Maintrack 'U' conversion for years. Electrosoldier, If your man is willing to do a limited run on this, I'd be interested in getting a set for myself.

Trooper McVey did this kit using this conversion set. It's posted in the galley section. He did the earlier 'U' with the towel rail antennas above the cheeks and the chin radome under the standard nose. It also has the extended tail antenna and the wingtip sensors. Very nicely done.

Don

Hey Jennings,

Where were you in AK? I used to get stuck back filling the security troops when the RC-135S Cobra Ball came in to Eielson in the mid '80's. I was assigned to the 343 SPS which was a part of ACC but the 6 SW was a tenant unit on base. When SAC played, we played!

I've always held a morbid fascination with any of the RC's as my dad was part of the crew that was lost on Rivet Amber. I've had an 'E' in the works for the past couple years. It's one of those that I've wanted for years kits but don't know where I'd put it.

I've been after to Maintrack 'U' conversion for years. Electrosoldier, If your man is willing to do a limited run on this, I'd be interested in getting a set for myself.

Trooper McVey did this kit using this conversion set. It's posted in the galley section. He did the earlier 'U' with the towel rail antennas above the cheeks and the chin radome under the standard nose. It also has the extended tail antenna and the wingtip sensors. Very nicely done.

Don

Hey Don,

WOW! Your dad was aboard the Amber!?!? I'm sorry to hear that. What a tragic loss. Can you pls drop me an email at jrh@pemtel.net ?? My uncle was airborne aboard an RC-135D on a mission out of Eielson when the Amber went down, and knew the USAFSS crew members in the back.

I was Charlie Flight commander with the 6981st ESS at Elmendorf from '84 to '86.

J

Hi Mark,

J

Ay up Jennings - some of my dodgy pics here. Not clear on these is the scribed detail for some of the direlctric panels on the wing tip, nose fairing and cheeks...

001-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-6.jpg

008-5.jpg

009-5.jpg

010-4.jpg

012-1.jpg

017.jpg

Cheers,

Haydn.

A note on making the resin stretch a little farther....

....When I did the review of the Maintrack RC-135U conversion set back in the March 1998 (Vol.20 No.1) issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine, I opted for a Vietnam-era bird and so used the shorter Martin cheek fairings from an RC-135V kit, leaving me with the longer resin E-Systems ones to be used on a RC-135W - the Martin cheeks were fitted to the U until the early 90's....

From those pics, those AEELS cheeks don't resemble the E-Systems cheeks, they look more like the older Martin style cheeks. The E-Systems cheeks have a pronounced top & bottom taper toward the nose, which those resin ones don't appear to have.

Interesting...

J

From those pics, those AEELS cheeks don't resemble the E-Systems cheeks, they look more like the older Martin style cheeks. The E-Systems cheeks have a pronounced top & bottom taper toward the nose, which those resin ones don't appear to have.

Interesting...

J

They do, there just not 100%, they are closer to the E-System cheeks than the kit ones are, but they do need to sanding to look the part.

A note on making the resin stretch a little farther....

....When I did the review of the Maintrack RC-135U conversion set back in the March 1998 (Vol.20 No.1) issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine, I opted for a Vietnam-era bird and so used the shorter Martin cheek fairings from an RC-135V kit, leaving me with the longer resin E-Systems ones to be used on a RC-135W - the Martin cheeks were fitted to the U until the early 90's....

That was my game plan too ! Was it really 1998 when this set came out ? I haven't touched that model since the resin first came out. Cripes !

Haydn.

Ive been talking to the guy who owns the maintrack moulds... he was willing to do a comission run for me on some of the maintrack parts, including the RC-135U set... He isnt really interested in doing a full run of them, he doesnt think there is a market for any of the parts, or no market large enough worth him spending his time and effort on, especially as the 135 isnt a love of his, he would prefer to do parts ne knows will sell, which is fair enough as far as Im consirned, which is why im willing to pay so much for the comission work

Good luck in your endeavor, as I was once in contact with him as well, unsuccessfully.

Wish somebody with a Maintrack conversion would copy it, update it and get it back out there! It's rediculous that this guy just sits on them. Either produce them or let somebody else do it... because the moulds aren't doing a whole heck of a lot just sitting and gathering dust! Somebody please light a fire under this guys ***! :blink: :thumbsup:

Good luck in your endeavor, as I was once in contact with him as well, unsuccessfully.

Wish somebody with a Maintrack conversion would copy it, update it and get it back out there! It's rediculous that this guy just sits on them. Either produce them or let somebody else do it... because the moulds aren't doing a whole heck of a lot just sitting and gathering dust! Somebody please light a fire under this guys ***! :explode: :)

He is a man following a hobby, he doesnt do it as a job.

Were you wanting him to put them back into production for all or were you asking him to make a limited run for you...

The Moulds Maintrack used are gone, only the masters remain, so he needs to remake the moulds before he can work on making the parts.

I remain hopful of getting the parts I need yes.

I dont think he will be putting them back into production.

I could of course copy the set I have, but Im not going to, he owns the copyrights to them, which is why I am willing to pay for what I want.

Who knows, once he makes some moulds he may decide to do a production run until they also become unusable again.