Hasegawa 1/72 F-14B of VF-103

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Work hasn't stopped, but I didn't want to waste bandwidth with pictures of masking and paint touch-ups.

Here is something more interesting. I painted the smudges that are made on the wings by moving within the rubber seals.

When I look at reference pictures, I noticed that the streaks are not oriented correctly.

On this picture, you can see a pair of light gull grey wings of an F-14A (not connected to this GB) and my F-14B wings with the wrong smudges. The smudges on the F-14A wing are oriented correctly.

F-14wings.jpg

My F-14B now has the wings repainted.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here's some progress. Attaching the gear doors was not easy for me.

Such a pure head-on shot is a bit confronting: the nosegear and the gear doors could be straighter. The black antiglare triangle needs to come down a bit on the starboard side.

F-14HO.jpg

From a distance, it looks a bit better. :thumbsup:

F-14LAntirn.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse

Hi,

I've started on the canopy. I hope that I don't mess it up. :jaw-dropping:

I'm getting rid of parts the seam on top of the canopy, I'm keeping parts of the seam to represent the strips (lighning deflectors I've been told) that are there.

I tested the fit of the canopy: it did not close fully because the rear ejection seat is in the way. Since I'm using the kit seats, I assume everyone has experienced this?

I may well leave the canopy open now. The seats are not glued in place yet, so I could still shave some off the underside of the seats, but I'm leaning towards the "open cockpit" solution.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The project didn't die, it just got slowed down a bit.

I have been adding the decals and masking the canopy.

The bombs and navigation lights still need to be attached.

I finally opted to shave off the underside of the seats in order to close the canopy.

Pictures will follow in the next couple of days.

The VF-114 F-14A (Fujimi kit) has advanced a bit (although I didn't update that thread). I will not finish that one inside the run of the GB. I want to weather that one and the F-14B showed that my weathering techniques need to be refined.

I'll start a thread in the regular "in progress" forum when that one advances in July.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

She's finished! :)

I was able to add all those little navigation lights without losing one.

Tomcatfinished01.jpg

I'll add a picture to the finished builds thread as well.

Thanks for looking.

It's been fun and a good learning experience, I hope I'll never mix up the Phoenix pallets again.

Cheers, Stefan.