Now that I have a pair or Trumpeter raptors on pre-order at HLJ I figured I could start my own thread.

The plan is to use some wing left over from my F-111 project and graft them onto a trumpeter Raptor, creating a Tomcat-esque swing-wing Raptor.

Here's a profile I threw together.

F-22N-1-1.jpg

I used F-111 wings, and traced over them to give them a more "stealthy" shape. Also re-shaped the tailes, elevators and intakes. I might try and make it a tandem cockpit, though I don't know how I'd go about extending or replacing the canopy.

I'll finish it in marking from a Tomcat squadron (not sure about which one yet, maybe VF-103?). Not sure about high or low visibility either. I'll work on some colour profiles later on.

Can't wait for the models to get here now.

Chris

Edited by ChristopherC

So you're really taking the plunge? Excellent! :rofl: I really like the updated profile. The squared-off wing tips and the new panel lines on the wings look fantastic!

I noticed you altered the inlets as well. Cool! :lol:

Would you mind if I reposted it on the WhIf-thread over on Flugzeugforum.de?

Edited by ChernayaAkula

That looks awesome! Have to make a quick suggestion about markings though... VF-103/84 rocks but I think it would look really cool if you made it one of the F-14 squadrons that got decommissioned in the 90s. I think you would get a kind of "deeper" model if that makes any sense. Anywho looking forward to this one.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

So you're really taking the plunge? Excellent! :) I really like the updated profile. The squared-off wing tips and the new panel lines on the wings look fantastic!

I noticed you altered the inlets as well. Cool! :woot.gif:

Would you mind if I reposted it on the WhIf-thread over on Flugzeugforum.de?

Cheers Moritz. I don't really like how the intakes look now. I stretched them so that looking from the top they would be parallel to the wings, but I think they're too long now. Perhaps I'll restore them to their former size and just give it LEX's instead.

Feel free to repost this, what's the link to the thread you mentioned?

That looks awesome! Have to make a quick suggestion about markings though... VF-103/84 rocks but I think it would look really cool if you made it one of the F-14 squadrons that got decommissioned in the 90s. I think you would get a kind of "deeper" model if that makes any sense. Anywho looking forward to this one.

I think I understand, kind of building layers of what-if. The main reason for me leaning towards VF-103 is that I have lots of spare fightertown decals for that squadron, for both the F-14 and F/A-18F. But I'm going to put together some colour profiles and see what grabs me. In my mind VF-111 would also look pretty awesome.

Chris

Your swing-wing Raptor :thumbsup: rocks! Makes the rhino look like a pickup truck :P .

Can't wait for the pictures :popcorn: .

Please make a two seater :explode: . May be F-15 B/D/E for the canopy?

BTW, I also think you over stretched the intakes (esp bottom bit) too long. I would LERX it (on top) instead. But the others don't seem to mind...

Cheers,

Giles

Regarding the markings: You could also look at some of the options in the Dragon 1/144 kits. High-vis VFA-31, anyone? VF-2? :rofl:

<...> Feel free to repost this, what's the link to the thread you mentioned? <...>

HERE's the thread over on Flugzeugforum.de. I'm afraid you won't be able to see much, as Flugzeugforum uses user uploads for pics instead of hosting sites and the pics are only visible for logged-in users.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

In my mind VF-111 would also look pretty awesome.

Exactly

F22n.jpg

Kind of a sneak preview from the What-If? forum from Julhelm. doesn't have the cool swing wings but it looks good. I hear you though i have tons of VF-103 decals and they need to get used!

That VF-111 profile looks cool! I've thrown together some profiles of my own (can't really do much else until the models turn up). I also re-jigged the intakes so they look less stretched.

VF-111

F22NVF-111Hi.jpg

F22Nvf-111loviz.jpg

VF-103

F22Nvf-103hiviz.jpg

F22Nvf-103loviz.jpg

VF-143

F22NVF-143.jpg

F22NVF-143loviz.jpg

Edited by ChristopherC
So Chris, I had to jump the gun here a little and I whipped an "F-22N" out tonight in 1/144 I'll wait to post pic's until you get some up of yours. I don't want to steal your thunder sir.

DP

No worries man, the more the merrier!

I've put together a few more profiles.

VF-213

F22Nvf-213200.jpg

F22Nvf-213213.jpg

F22Nvf-213loviz.jpg

VF-2

F22Nvf-2hiviz.jpg

F22Nvf-2loviz.jpg

VX-9

F22Nvx-9.jpg

And VF-211

F22Nvf-211hiviz.jpg

F22Nvf-211loviz.jpg

Any ideas for any others?

Chris

Like the high-viz versions of Rogers, Bounty Hunters and Checkmates best so far!

<...> Any ideas for any others?

Ideas comin' right up!

VF-11 Red Rippers

VFC-12 Fighting Omars

VF-101 Grim Reapers

Anything NSAWC

VF-105 Gunslingers

:lol: Should keep you busy for a bit!

Maybe a two-seat stealthy Strike Eagle replacement? :thumbsup:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Way cool DP! What kit did you use? It looks like one of those pre-built ones, was it easy to cut up?

Those are some sweet profiles Deino! My photoshop (or Gimp in this case) skills are still somewhat wanting.

I've done a few more profiles.

First up, Reapers

F22Nvf-101hiviz.jpg

F22Nvf-101loviz1.jpg

and the Red tail reaper

F22Nvf-101red.jpg

NSAWC

F22NNSAWC.jpg

VFC-12

F22Nvfc-12.jpg

And my take on a two seater, swing wing Raptor. Maybe an F-22N? I've done this one in the colours of an RAAF F-111 of No. 6 sqn.

F22MRAAF.jpg

Chris