I canceled my pre-order with HLJ and placed an order with Squadron who appeared to have them in stock. Hopefully I might receive the raptors before I have to go back to uni.

But for now, as always, more profiles.

Euro 1 scheme

F22MEuro1.jpg

Digital eagle scheme

F22MUSAF.jpg

Swedish AF

F22Mswedish.jpg

And a dirty Black Knights jet, with undercarriage taken from an F-14, and drop tanks

F22Mvf-154.jpg

Chris

Edited by ChristopherC
Any pics of the plastic? Any plastic depictions going to form from this?

Curt

I hope so. Like I said, I've had a couple of raptors on order for some time, as soon as I get them I'll start. Believe me I want to. I've received some Royal Australian Navy Skyhawk decals that I plan to use in order to make this scheme:

F22MRAN.jpg

Chris

I've made surprisingly quick progress with this model. Here are some pics taken along the way.

Laying out the wings to get an idea of what needs to be cut and where. Interestingly, the model comes with its canopy already attached.

DSCN4249.jpg

At first I intended to leave the wings free to swing, but after inspecting the kit I realised there wasn't enough depth in the body to allow that to happen. So I set about cutting the wings. The wings were left over from the F-111 I built, and made of incredibly hard plastic, so I had to use a coping saw to cut them up.

DSCN4251.jpg

Cockpit

DSCN4252.jpg

Another layout. I cut too much of the kit wings off and had to glue some bits back on. Also had to insert some plastic shims to make up for sloppy cutting.

DSCN4253.jpg

And here's where I'm up to now. I've squared off the F-111 wingtips and added LEXs over the intakes. I also filled in the in flight refueling receptacle, I'll be adding a door for a probe somewhere.

DSCN4262.jpg

Also increased the size of the elevators to fill the gap behind the wings, and added some plastic card to the rudders to change their shape slightly.

DSCN4263.jpg

Lots of filling and sanding to go now.

Chris

My My, you might actually succeed in making a Raptor look sexy. Looking forward to more of this beautiful concept. Ironic, considering the Raptor originally was born on the Naval Advanced Tactical Fighter concept if you think about it, so this would in principle actually be the original form of the Raptor, in some ways.

Still, so far so good man - keep it up!

Woohoo!! My raptors finally arrived! Kudos to squadron, that's probably the fastest order turnaround I've ever had.

First plastic pic:

DSCN4248.jpg

I'll start work on this tomorrow.

Chris

It looks like decent kit on the photo... What's overall quality compared with revell's F-14?

Thanks guys!

viking, the quality of the kit is excellent, I'd say on par with Revell's F-14. Not as much surface detail, but then again I don't know how much the Raptor really has. You can also pose all the weapons bays open, see below. All the filler is to make up for my modifications. You also get 4 external pylons and 2 fuel tanks. Only two drawbacks I can see so far. On the kit wings there are sink marks on the upper surface above where the locating holes for the pylons are. Secondly, the colour of the kit decals doesn't look quite right, too brown for my liking.

DSCN4267.jpg

Got hold of some tamiya putty and daubed it all over the seams. Also added fillets on the wing roots.

DSCN4266.jpg

Chris

Just sanding and filling now. Nothing photo worthy. The putty I'm using is a little frustrating, as it soften the plastic and then warps it a bit when it dries, making it difficult to keep the control surfaces even.

In the mean time, ASRAAMs! These will go in the side bays. They were fairly east to make, they're just sidewinders with their fins cut off and new fins made from plastic card.

_IGP5879.jpg

Chris

Just sanding and filling now. Nothing photo worthy. The putty I'm using is a little frustrating, as it soften the plastic and then warps it a bit when it dries, making it difficult to keep the control surfaces even.

In the mean time, ASRAAMs! These will go in the side bays. They were fairly east to make, they're just sidewinders with their fins cut off and new fins made from plastic card.

_IGP5879.jpg

Chris

HEY WOW! any more updates on this awesome thing.

I would have just made the new peices out of plastic card like evergreen or something, and just scribed it. I did the same a you a few times before. I think the tamiya light curing putty would work for what youre doing. that stuff youre using has toluene or MEK in it, and that stuff melts plastic. You can use MEK to glue kits together, but its so runny its not good for the health...

What scheme is it going to be? cant wait to see you finish it.

Benny

HEY WOW! any more updates on this awesome thing.

I would have just made the new peices out of plastic card like evergreen or something, and just scribed it. I did the same a you a few times before. I think the tamiya light curing putty would work for what youre doing. that stuff youre using has toluene or MEK in it, and that stuff melts plastic. You can use MEK to glue kits together, but its so runny its not good for the health...

What scheme is it going to be? cant wait to see you finish it.

Benny

Thanks Benny. I think I might just do that. I seem to be going nowhere using my current method. Oh, and tell me about the fumes! The "Basic Type" putty smells really strong, I'm trying to only use small amounts at a time. I was under the impression that all plastic cement had MEK in it, is that not the case?

This Raptor will be finished in the Royal Australian Navy scheme shown in my banner. However, I did chicken out of making it a two seater, I think I have enough things to worry about without throwing that in mix.

Chris