Damn, I missed this thread! Now all is good I have caught up and you have done a great job! :monkeydance: Will we see this on the Expo tables in June? :D

I hate to steal your idea but I just happen to have a 1/72 Revell Raptor kit and some spare pig wings and yours looks so great I would love to reproduce it in 1/72 perhaps as a twin seater.

:cheers:

No worries Ray! I'd love to see someone do a twin seater raptor. I was going to give it a try but got scared off by the canopy. Also figured I'd done enough puttying on this project. Any idea what scheme you'd do?

Oh, and you might see this one at expo, as well as a few other things B)

Chris

Edited by ChristopherC
No worries Ray! I'd love to see someone do a twin seated raptor. I was going to give it a try but got sslcared off by the canopy. Also figured I'd done enough puttyin on this project. Any idea what scheme you'd do?

Oh, and you might see this one at expo, as well as a few other things :monkeydance:

Chris

Hi mate..

I am actually planning both a two seater F-22 in both 1/148, and 1/144..

How I will go about it, is still a mystery, but I will try and work something out!

Have enjoyed watching your build. I used to work on F-111's, and it reminds me of a modern version of a naval version..

Chris

Hi Chris, look forward to seeing your builds. My plan for making a two seater canopy was to take the kit canopy and cut it in two somewhere around the middle. I'd lengthen it with plane old plastic card and sand it all smooth. Then I'd use this as a master push it into some heated up clear plastic card. Maybe I'll try it one day.

Anyway, I've put on most of the decals. The majority of the decals come from a 1/100 RAN Skyhawk sheet by Novascale. The 'roos are left over from a 1/144 RAAF hornet sheet also by Novascale.

_IGP7648.jpg

_IGP7657.jpg

_IGP7658.jpg

_IGP7660.jpg

I also put a wash into the weapon bays to bring out some of the detail.

_IGP7662.jpg

I still have to make the HMAS Endeavour decals as well serial numbers. I've decided the visible weapons will be an ASRAAM in the cheek bay, and an AMRAAM and JSOW in the main bay.

The end is in sight now!

Chris

I made the carrier name a serial number in Gimp and printed them onto decal paper.

DSCN4314.jpg

Try not to think about where everything is supposed to fit here. There is no way the main landing gear can retract and the wing sweep into the fuselage, but I'm just going to ignore that :thumbsup:

DSCN4319.jpg

And here are the weapons

DSCN4315.jpg

Chris

Dude, W(here)T(he)F(limflaming) heck kit includes AGM-154s! :woot.gif:

Get yourself one of dragons A-10 double boxings. The kits themselves aren't great but you get a boatload of weapons. The AGM-154 comes off a sprue which has 2x AGM-154, 2x JDAMs, 2x Rockeyes and an ECM pod of some kind. Actually, I'll take a photo of all the weapons you get and upload it in a tic.

Chris

Hey Chris, I love the work on your decals. Might have to get you to send me a few! :woot.gif:

Yes, I am serious! HMAS Brisbane please! :beer4:

Did you do the roundals as well as the air intake markings?

ps:

On a side note. I was thinking today about the arrester (spelling) hook for carrier landings.

I was curious as to what you were planning....

As for me, I also just got the Dragon twin set F/A-18F kit, and as one of those will be a RAAF bug. I may use the hook off off of it and put it on the raptor. The other will be a RAN Bug..

As well as that, I am thinking about scratching the F-22 front gear to cater for the catapult..

Edited by Samurai_Chris
On a side note. I was thinking today about the arrester (spelling) hook for carrier landings.

I was curious as to what you were planning....

As for me, I also just got the Dragon twin set F/A-18F kit, and as one of those will be a RAAF bug. I may use the hook off off of it and put it on the raptor. The other will be a RAN Bug..

As well as that, I am thinking about scratching the F-22 front gear to cater for the catapult..

IIRC, the Raptor, like the F-16, has a built-in arrestor hook (albeit a lightweight version for icy runways and ect.), but the Raptor's is in a well like the weapons bays. Would probably be more hassle than it's worth to cut open that bay and scratch an interior for the hook unit.

And BTW Chris, thanks a bunch! I don't think Dragon/DML makes enough ordinance-deprived kits to use up all the leftovers I'll have if I get the A-10 1+1 (in addition to the leftover munitions from my A2A refueling 1+1 and the VF-213 F/A-18F 1+1)

(EDIT): Chris, that ECM pod that comes with the JSOWs is a shorty ALQ-184.

Edited by sv51macross

Thanks sv, you also get a larger ECM pod for each A-10 (on the kit sprue), as well as another two sidewinders per A-10.

Chris, my idea for the arrestor hook was pretty much as sv said. I figured why bother adding it if the F-22A already stores its internally. For nose gear I've used one of the spare legs that comes in the Dragon F/A-18E/F boxings.

I didn't print the roundels myself, they were spare from a 1/144th RAAF hornet sheet by novascale. Most of the red on the intakes was painted, while the "arrows" come from a 1/100 RAN skyhawk sheet. Here are links to both; hornet, skyhawk.

If you like I'd be happy to print out some decals for you. Drop me a PM letting me know what you'd like and where to send them.

Oh, and here's as close as I'll get to doing an open wing F-22N :thumbsup:

top.jpg

Chris

Thanks sv, you also get a larger ECM pod for each A-10 (on the kit sprue), as well as another two sidewinders per A-10.

Chris, my idea for the arrestor hook was pretty much as sv said. I figured why bother adding it if the F-22A already stores its internally. For nose gear I've used one of the spare legs that comes in the Dragon F/A-18E/F boxings.

I didn't print the roundels myself, they were spare from a 1/144th RAAF hornet sheet by novascale. Most of the red on the intakes was painted, while the "arrows" come from a 1/100 RAN skyhawk sheet. Here are links to both; hornet, skyhawk.

If you like I'd be happy to print out some decals for you. Drop me a PM letting me know what you'd like and where to send them.

Oh, and here's as close as I'll get to doing an open wing F-22N ;)

top.jpg

Chris

You could imagine seeing one with wings out, coming in to land on the deck.. :)

I guess the next question for both of us is.

What carrier should Australia put all these bad boys on?

Ex US Nimitz Class. UK jump deck. A PA2. Or as I would like to see. A locally made Brisbane Class Carrier, that is basically somewhere size wise between a French de Gaulle & a Nimitz.

I would have the deck stacked with a Sqn of Sea Raptors. Both 1 & 2 seat. F/A-18E-F-Gs. MRH-90s.

As a secondary measure. Two smaller amphibious carriers that carries F-35s, MHR-90s.

Edited by Samurai_Chris
You could imagine seeing one with wings out, coming in to land on the deck.. :thumbsup:

I guess the next question for both of us is.

What carrier should Australia put all these bad boys on?

Ex US Nimitz Class. UK jump deck. A PA2. Or as I would like to see. A locally made Brisbane Class Carrier, that is basically somewhere size wise between a French de Gaulle & a Nimitz.

I would have the deck stacked with a Sqn of Sea Raptors. Both 1 & 2 seat. F/A-18E-F-Gs. MRH-90s.

As a secondary measure. Two smaller amphibious carriers that carries F-35s, MHR-90s.

I don't think anything with a ski jump would cut it for a Sea Raptor. I like your idea of a Brisbane class carrier. I would also E-2s or some equivalent aircraft for early warning.

I remember reading that Australia is supposed to get one or two amphibious assault ships of some description. The story went on to say that these ships could be easily modified to have ski jumps and operate VTOL F-35s. As well as MRH-90s I'd also add some navalised Eurocopter Tiger gunships. Hmm, another whiff idea.

Chris

I don't think anything with a ski jump would cut it for a Sea Raptor. I like your idea of a Brisbane class carrier. I would also E-2s or some equivalent aircraft for early warning.

I remember reading that Australia is supposed to get one or two amphibious assault ships of some description. The story went on to say that these ships could be easily modified to have ski jumps and operate VTOL F-35s. As well as MRH-90s I'd also add some navalised Eurocopter Tiger gunships. Hmm, another whiff idea.

Chris

Russia uses ski-jumps for the Su-33. And the Raptor certainly has more then enough power for even swing wings, especially since they pretty much cancel out any meaningful warload on the wings.

Russia uses ski-jumps for the Su-33. And the Raptor certainly has more then enough power for even swing wings, especially since they pretty much cancel out any meaningful warload on the wings.

But what kind of a useful load can an SU-33 carry off a ski-jump? Surely less than if it were launched with a steam catapult. I'd still want this Sea Raptor to be able to get off the boat if it had a full internal load and maybe 4 loaded underwing pylons.

Chris

But what kind of a useful load can an SU-33 carry off a ski-jump? Surely less than if it were launched with a steam catapult. I'd still want this Sea Raptor to be able to get off the boat if it had a full internal load and maybe 4 loaded underwing pylons.

Chris

Agree with the ski jump.

As for a Brisbane Class Carrier. Instead of giving everyone free hand outs, as has been the policy of late. Then maybe fixing the country's infrastructure, and developing a ship building industry to give people jobs may be something better.

People will argue that we don't have enough people in the Navy now. And that's because we have a tin boat Navy. Not very exciting, even for the biggest Navy lover.

I have always said. You build something locally, using local skills. And then fly cool stuff off of it. Then you will have kids lining up around the corner to join the Navy!