1/144 Minicraft C-130 " Blue Angels"

:lol: G'day Brendon,

Have you decided which bird and which colour scheme you'll do yet. In the early days of the C-130Es' Aussie service they were overall natural metal with the light grey paint on the wing walk areas and light blue aft of that and the wingroot fairings also were light blue. The cheatline was a complete arrow head, not like in the pics on airliners.net. I'll keep an eye on this one as I at sometime or another worked on all the C-130As, Es and Hs. enjoy your build mate.

:rofl:,

Ross.

:woot.gif: G'day Andrew,

No, I was at 2 OCU from 77 to 81, then 2AD till January 86, then ATTU till October 86 and then spent almost 3 years at 486 Sqn before getting out. That was my second posting at 486, I was there from August 73 to January 76 as well. What was your father in law's name and what mustering? I may have known him or known of him perhaps.

:),

Ross.

thanks guys, I'm hoping that i don't screw it up, it cost $57 aussie :P :explode: .

I feel like i have a bit of pressure on me, as no one else seems to have made it yet ( Due to the cost of the KIT!!!). I thought about detailing it, but as this is the first one, i will build it OOB.

DSCF1466.jpg

DSCF1467.jpg

the Dry Fitting test looks like it will go together quite nicely :thumbsup: , with just a little filler around the wing join,and the fuselage. The windshield (cockpit) needs to be sanded back as it is a fraction larger than the fuselage. The Stabs slide in beautifully and have their own locating pins. the only thing i think that lets the kit down is the MLG wheels, as they seem to be to slimmer in width.

DSCF1463.jpg

DSCF1461.jpg

I started the wings first, as i thought it would be easier to start with.from the looks of it, it will need a little filler around the L/E and the wing glove. I will try to post Pic's first thing in the morning.

DSCF1458.jpg

Brendon

Edited by Aussie_superbug

:D Hi Andrew,

I knew of WGCDR Watson but I think it was not during my time at 486 SQN. You calling him a wombat reminds me of a funny story that happened at 2OCU sometime in the early-mid 70s (before my time there). There was a pilot there whose nickname for some reason was Wombat. He took off one day in a Mirage and very soon declared a PAN and soon after that upgraded it to a Mayday due to fuel shortage. He was given clearence for an immediate landing and when he returned to the lines no leaks could be found anywhere. When a thorough cockpit check was made it was found that the wing tank transfer switch was in the off position.

It's thought he had bumped the switch while taxying and so no fuel was getting from the wing tanks and externals to the main tanks. From that time on the wing tank transfer switch was called the "Wombat Switch". The Mirage only had 360 gallons in the mains and rocket bay tank, or about 6 mins in full AB, less what was used for start up and taxi so he wasn't airborne for very long. After that the Wombat Switch was safety wired in the "ON" position.

:rofl:,

Ross.

thanks guys, I'm hoping that i don't screw it up, it cost $57 aussie :whistle: :blink: .

Brendon

Hey Brendon Don't sweat it, have you seen what I am doing to my $250+ Anigrand C-17 :D

Where are you getting the decals for this one from? I did a 1/72 version a couple of years back and used Airfix and Aussie Decals for it.

:beer4:

Hey Brendon Don't sweat it, have you seen what I am doing to my $250+ Anigrand C-17 :beer4:

Where are you getting the decals for this one from? I did a 1/72 version a couple of years back and used Airfix and Aussie Decals for it.

:blink:

Hi Ray, I am going to use the Novascale C-130A/E set i got off eBay, From what i can make out they are Aussie Decals but under a different name as they share the same mailing Address .

hopefully someone can give me some insight on this.

:whistle:

Brendon

Hi Ray, I am going to use the Novascale C-130A/E set i got off eBay, From what i can make out they are Aussie Decals but under a different name as they share the same mailing Address .

hopefully someone can give me some insight on this.

:thumbsup:

Brendon

You are spot on there Brendon. Aussie decals and Novascale are made at the same address but I believe Novascale are marketed by someone else not Damian (who owns Aussie Decals).

HTH

Andrew

P.S. i'd love to build another 1/144 scale Herc but cannot justify the price as you have mentioned. I will be watching your progress.

Hi Andrew,

Yeah, I found out at AMI that they in fact Aussie Decals , Just sold under Novascale as a trading name on eBAY, by Melinda Casey.

On the C-130's, i want to add another 2 ( A & J), to the one's I am building now, so i will be waiting a while after i build these 2 and the C-17

Not a much done today i worked on the external tanks and masked the the cockpit out.

Brendon

Hi All,

just a little update today/ tonight.

Received the decal I'm going to use a couple of days ago, they are sold by Novascale Hobbies on eBAY, but are in fact are Aussie Decals

DSCF1602.jpg

primed the fuselage and painted the cockpit/ windshield area black today

DSCF1599.jpg

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1597.jpg

Primed the wing, stabs,tanks and the ramp - not too sure yet, if i want to display the ramp down or on the up position :thumbsup: .

DSCF1601.jpg

DSCF1596.jpg

the Fuselage is joined together, but typical.... Murphy struck and the batteries went dead on the camera so i have no other pics for you tonight.

all the best.

Brendon

The fuselage is joined together, the cockpit and the stabs are dried fitted just to check the joins.

DSCF1605.jpg

DSCF1606.jpg

Now im ready to start sanding and filling areas.

DSCF1610.jpg

the Nose needs filler. the general shape of it is good, but looking downwards, the nose concave's to much just to have a slight curve too it.

Thanks Andrew, Im looking forward to seeing yours.

I was thinking about doing A97-177, now I'm going to do A97-189

DSCF1610.jpg

Here is the profile of the nose from the kit

DSCF1611.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg

Here it is after i filled and sanded it. Now it looks like a C-130 radome.

Cheers

Brendon

Edited by Aussie_superbug
Here it is after i filled and sanded it. Now it looks like a C-130 radome.

Cheers

Brendon

Looks good!

You know it was the nose that saved the C-130. When it first flew with a "Roman nose" they said it was too ugly, the airplane would never be a success....

Actually, the performance & reliability was the real reason but the commanders did not like the looks, that is a known fact.

History has been good to the Herk, one of my favorites!

Looks good!

You know it was the nose that saved the C-130. When it first flew with a "Roman nose" they said it was too ugly, the airplane would never be a success....

Actually, the performance & reliability was the real reason but the commanders did not like the looks, that is a known fact.

History has been good to the Herk, one of my favorites!

True indeed!

Even worse was the fact that Kelly Johnson hated the looks and recomended it not be built. Lucky for Lockheed they went ahead any way.

Your Herk looks spot on!

Curt.

just a quick update for today.....

began masking out the radome, walkways and the upper fuselage today, ready for painting tomorrow night hopefully.

DSCF1700.jpg

DSCF1701.jpg

DSCF1702.jpg

DSCF1705.jpg

I had realized after i had masked the fuselage walkway that it was too fat length ways so referring back to the decals, made it to suit

DSCF1709.jpg

DSCF1710.jpg

DSCF1711.jpg

:(

Brendon

just a quick update.

painted the radome, with tamiya semi gloss black, and painted the crown with tamiya flat white.

DSCF1715.jpg

DSCF1720.jpg

DSCF1721.jpg

after i pulled the tape away, it left a fine raised line, a light scuff with 1500, and the line disappeared. masking it up now painting the belly and the tail

:cheers:

Brendon

Hi All,

well after painting the white last night, I unmasked it and re masked the white off. Every thing was going well, started spraying Gunze 315 (fs16440), allowing it to dry between coats ( helped by using the wifes hairdryer), then waited a couple of hrs, then disaster struck. when removing the mask, and the topcaot wasn't fully cured , and left a couple of huge finger prints :doh: . WASN"T happy with myself at all. Here endeth the lesson on waiting on uncured paint.

So left it in the sun to dry for a few more hrs, and sanded it back again, remasked, and this time i allowed more time for the grey to dry ( i hate gloss paints :thumbsup: ). while the fusalage dried, i painted the stabs, glud the external fuel tanks to the wings and painted them also. All i have to do now is paint the walkway coating and shoot clear over the white and repaint the radome as i wasn't happy with the way it looked after i painted it.

here are some pics of of it painted.

DSCF1723.jpg

DSCF1724.jpg

DSCF1726.jpg

DSCF1728.jpg

DSCF1729.jpg

:D

Brendon