Which Star Destroyer?

Star Wars  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Super Star Destroyer or Imperial Star Destroyer?

• Super Star Destroyer Executor
    • Imperial Star Destroyer

Well fellow ARCers, I'm planning a scratch built model of one of the following Star Wars ships, but I can't choose which to build. I'm leaning toward the Imperial Star Destroyer at the moment, but I'm not sure yet. So, I thought I'd ask you guys.

There was a third ship in the running, but it's going to be put off for a while due to difficulty in dimensions and how to build it up.

So, the options are either the Super Star Destroyer, Executor, which is Darth Vader's personal flagship, or the standard Imperial Star Destroyer, like the one that captured Princess Leia in the first 5 minutes of Star Wars: A New Hope.

I know there are kits out there for both of these, but I've been looking for a scratchbuild project I can really sink my teeth into, and I came up with these ideas after major searching online for an idea.

The Executor:

SW_Executor_01.jpg

The Imperial Star Destroyer:

isd_ds2.jpg

Edited by illithid00

I like the Super Star Destroyer. The blue looks cool. The gray looks bleah and the standard Star Destroyer is rather common. Do you have pictures of the Executor from all angles?

I like the Super Star Destroyer. The blue looks cool. The gray looks bleah and the standard Star Destroyer is rather common. Do you have pictures of the Executor from all angles?

Not yet, but I'm collecting refs on both ships already.

I forgot to mention, if I built the Imperial Star Destroyer, there's a chance it would be built as the only civilian Star Destroyer, the Errant Venture. The Errant Venture had a rather unique paintjob (red), so it would stand out as opposed to normal Imperial gray. I do like the blue gray of the Super Star Destroyer though.

Chris

What was the Third ship you mention?

Errant Venture would be a blast.

I was looking for my old ISD to do as it a few years ago, before I figured I had lost the kit in the great moving of 1993...

William G

Chris

What was the Third ship you mention?

Errant Venture would be a blast.

I was looking for my old ISD to do as it a few years ago, before I figured I had lost the kit in the great moving of 1993...

William G

The third ship I want to build eventually would be the reborn-Emperor Palpatine's flagship, the Eclipse. Almost as big as a Super Star Destroyer, with a superlaser (one of the smaller ones from the Death Star) mounted in the bow. I just want to try out less radical hull-shapes first, to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Edited by illithid00

Ive been going through & rereading all the Star Wars novels I have (about 70 of 'em), and its got me thinking about doing this sort of thing. I thought about scratch building the SSD, an Imp Star, Victory Class SD, Imp Star Deuce, Interdictor Cruiser, and a few others. I'd love to do them all in the same scale, but w/ the SSD being so much larger than the other ships, I dunno. I'd either have to make the SSD really big, or the others really small.

Ive been going through & rereading all the Star Wars novels I have (about 70 of 'em), and its got me thinking about doing this sort of thing. I thought about scratch building the SSD, an Imp Star, Victory Class SD, Imp Star Deuce, Interdictor Cruiser, and a few others. I'd love to do them all in the same scale, but w/ the SSD being so much larger than the other ships, I dunno. I'd either have to make the SSD really big, or the others really small.

Same here, actually. I've been reading through the New Jedi Order series (about half done now), which gave me the idea of building the Imperial Star Destroyer Errant Venture, and after looking for ISD pics online I got it in my head to build the Executor and Eclipse as well. I'll probably build more than just those, but the Executor and Eclipse will be in a much smaller scale than any other capital ships I want to build, to avoid having two 6-foot models sitting around while I have nowhere to display them.

Why not Build the Super Star Destroyer from scratch and buy this model for the Star Destroyer? Resin Star Destroyer :woot.gif:

Very interesting. It looks majorly expensive though, $585. It might be an option at some point down the line, though. At the moment though, I'm not confident enough in my skills to build something like that from resin. Only time I ever used resin was on a MiG-21 kit a while back. Still, it IS tempting. :woot.gif:

Well, it looks like I'll be building the Executor first. However, I can't find any 3-views or any dimensions other than the length (19km). The prototype model will be approx. 30cm (12in.) long, so that's about 1/6333333 scale. Sometime after that, I'll make a larger model, maybe up to 1 meter long. Maybe I'll even use fiber optics to light that one.

Can anyone help with either dimensions or a 3-view? Unless I get sone of those, I'm going to have some problems getting this thing to look right.

Thanks,

Chris

Have you looked at any of the Star Wars guide books? They have one book thats totally dedicated to the vehicles in Star Wars, and Im pretty sure that the SSD is in it.

Also check out Wookie-Pedia, the Star Wars Wikipedia website.

Have you looked at any of the Star Wars guide books? They have one book thats totally dedicated to the vehicles in Star Wars, and Im pretty sure that the SSD is in it.

Also check out Wookie-Pedia, the Star Wars Wikipedia website.

I looked in one of the Star Wars RPG books on vehicles, but didn't find anything dimensions-wise. As for Wookieepedia, all it had was the length, 19km. At this point, I'm thinking either I have eyeball everything, OR I'll have to build something else until I can get some dimensions.

Well, it looks like I'll be building the Executor first. However, I can't find any 3-views or any dimensions other than the length (19km). The prototype model will be approx. 30cm (12in.) long, so that's about 1/6333333 scale. Sometime after that, I'll make a larger model, maybe up to 1 meter long. Maybe I'll even use fiber optics to light that one.

Can anyone help with either dimensions or a 3-view? Unless I get sone of those, I'm going to have some problems getting this thing to look right.

Thanks,

Chris

Return of the Jedi might give a good plan view of the topside (in all seriousness) right before it plows into the Death Star...

I looked in one of the Star Wars RPG books on vehicles, but didn't find anything dimensions-wise. As for Wookieepedia, all it had was the length, 19km. At this point, I'm thinking either I have eyeball everything, OR I'll have to build something else until I can get some dimensions.

ive got the essential guide to vehicles and vessels, and it has a front view and side view of the executor, if that would help you any. no top view though, but pretty good idea to use the top view from the movie.

One of our locals built the Executor years ago (10+).

Personally, I always thought the Executor was overkill, just too big. I much prefer the standard Star Destroyer. Thought about building one about 3 ft long but all that detail would take me forever. Wish someone would make a decently detailed plastic or resin kit that wasn't too small or too expensive.

Personally, I always thought the Executor was overkill, just too big. I much prefer the standard Star Destroyer. Thought about building one about 3 ft long but all that detail would take me forever. Wish someone would make a decently detailed plastic or resin kit that wasn't too small or too expensive.

The Executor was pretty much overkill, just like both Death Stars and all the other Star Wars superweapons were overkill. The Executor would have been a great planetary defense weapon though. I'm thinking of doing mine in New Republic markings (even though that may not be Star Wars canon).

Unfortunately, a kit that size is expensive. I just purchased a kit that is 31†tall by 28†long and was about $500.00. That’s why a lot of modelers scratch build kits that size, to save some cash. I have also looked into having a kit that size custom built for me and the price tag was more like $3,000.00 (unassembled and unpainted)! So I am honing my artistic abilities!

As far as the larger ships being overkill, I agree. Just the shear amount of materials needed to construct something the size of a super star destroyer or a death star would be unimaginable, not to mention it would take generations to build. By the time it was finished, it would be out of date (kind of like our freeways).