Which Star Destroyer?

Star Wars  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Super Star Destroyer or Imperial Star Destroyer?

• Super Star Destroyer Executor
    • Imperial Star Destroyer

Its funny b/c all through the novels Im reading, they still keep referring to the SSD as being about 8 km's long.

Yeah, from what I've heard that was a big controversy over the length of the SSD. Some said 8km, some said 19km, and some said 12.5km. I think it was finally set on 19km.

Yea, but see, the SW Wiki has the same problem as the regular Wiki, which is both a curse & a blessing, all its information is provided by its uses.

I honestly think if i were going to go by anything, I'd go by the books, as the books are directly sanctioned by George Lucas, unless I could find definitive information otherwise. What I'd like to know is who "made the call" to go w/ 19, instead of the 8km that gets mentioned a fair bit in the books.

Yea, but see, the SW Wiki has the same problem as the regular Wiki, which is both a curse & a blessing, all its information is provided by its uses.

I honestly think if i were going to go by anything, I'd go by the books, as the books are directly sanctioned by George Lucas, unless I could find definitive information otherwise. What I'd like to know is who "made the call" to go w/ 19, instead of the 8km that gets mentioned a fair bit in the books.

That's true. I read that most of the information on the Executor's length of 19km came from comparisons and calculations that fans made from the movie footage.

As I understand there are some differences in the bridge structure...... seems the shield generators are a bit larger and a bit differently shaped and the structure between the shield generators are different, then there´s the armament....ISD II have more turbolasers.

There might be more differences but I don´t really know them.......

LOL wonder if this knoweledge will get me girls at nightclubs? :thumbsup:

And the problem is you really cant make a comparison like that, since you cant tell the relative distances between the ships, which would throw off the calculations.

That's true. I read that most of the information on the Executor's length of 19km came from comparisons and calculations that fans made from the movie footage.
As I understand there are some differences in the bridge structure...... seems the shield generators are a bit larger and a bit differently shaped and the structure between the shield generators are different, then there´s the armament....ISD II have more turbolasers.

There might be more differences but I don´t really know them.......

LOL wonder if this knoweledge will get me girls at nightclubs? :salute:

Doesn't sound too bad. I'll probably end up building both variants, eventually. I like the ISD II because it's beastly with a lot of turbolasers, but the Errant Venture, one of my favorite ships, was an ISD I. So, I've got some work cut out for me. My shelf is going to be FULL of awesome Star Destroyer stuff when I get done with all this. ;)

And the problem is you really cant make a comparison like that, since you cant tell the relative distances between the ships, which would throw off the calculations.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest problems with all this stuff. It's pretty much speculation.

• 2 years later...

No, but if you have a common component you know to be the same on both, say the face and forward block on the bridge/conning tower, you can take the proportions of it to the rest of the ship on the one you do know, and then use that to calculate the proportions of the one you don't know.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html#size

Dr. Saxton may be a bit pushy on some things, but his adherence to scientific method and calculation I think deserves some respect.