AMT Millenium Falcon

I have an 8 year old daughter, and if there was ever any doubt who's child she is that was thrown out the window the minute she announced her love of Star Wars. The kid is a bigger Star Wars freak as I am, and I grew up with the good trilogy!

So, for christmas I picked up an AMT Millenium Falcon for us to build together.

Today after school, we got started on the cockpit. She did all the painting on the cockpit, including dry brushing the center console while I did the figures.

This is what we came up with....

falcon_cockpit.jpg

Not bad at all. My advice is to do it mostly OOB and not worry about accurizing it too much. Reason being is I have seen some good builds done from OOB MPC/AMT Falcons and the mods needed to make them more accurate (i.e. cutting down the sidewalls) are a bit labor intensive. About the one thing I would recommend though is deciding early if you want to build it gear up or gear down and keep it that way rather then fiddling with the opening doors on the bottom and the friction fit landing gear. Reason being is the doors don't like to stay closed on an inflight model and droop rather oddly in the open gear bays. Gluing them open or shut is the best thing and if you do close them, you can also hide the seams on the bottom.

Build it and have fun, that's what I say. That's what I'm doing right now, although in my case it is a FineMolds Millennium Falcon.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Thanks guys.

Jay, thanks for the pointers....I think I have built this kit once when I was younger, and now that you mention it I do recall the gear being an issue. I think the only thing I was really considering doing above the the normal call of duty was scratch building an instrument console for the cockpit...that way it doesn't look like these two mutants are sitting in a chair staring off into space.

Great! My son and I (mostly him) "built" the Revell snap Falcon. Went together better than I thought it would, got him trying dry brushing and washing and some other painting and has him building a few more Star Wars kits. Looking forward to seeing more on this.

I have an 8 year old daughter, and if there was ever any doubt who's child she is that was thrown out the window the minute she announced her love of Star Wars. The kid is a bigger Star Wars freak as I am, and I grew up with the good trilogy!

Sounds like my 13 year-old son! Throw him any SW trivia question and he'll answer it in seconds. Your daughter has latched onto a lifetime of pure escapist fun, so nurture it! :thumbsup:

Oh, and give her a big hug from all of us at ARC, okay? ;)

My 3 year old is fan of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, no, we covered her eyes on the scary parts. Good to hear more new generation of SW fans are popping up everywhere.

Have fun with the Falcon building and post pics!

B

Definitely have fun and do it OOB. Careful especially on the painting and weathering to make sure she doesn't get tired of it. It's a reasonably big kit and could take awhile. I have made the mistake of trying too hard to make a kit come out nice that my 8-year old daughter got tired of the kit (choosing a kit of the right age level can be tricky too). If your daughter is really into Star Wars it might not be an issue.

The kits my daughter was able to finish were some dinosaurs which are a topic that she is very interested in. She did a bang up job, including using a wash and dry brushing (never underestimate the techniques they can learn at their age). I'll have to post some photos sometime.

Fred

My 4yo son has an interest in building but has no patience like me :thumbsup: We put his snap f-14 together in record time. But he really loves the airbrush so painting was all he cared about. I let him give it a quick coat. I hope he keeps an interest in it.

I still have an unbuilt amt falcon. I might buy the accuraizng parts for it but they get pricey. It has enough detail to look good without them.

Agreed Jane, its a shame that models (of all sorts) are given the "boys toys" name, and continue to be.

Look in any toy shop, the modelling stuff is all in the "boys" aisle, nothing in the "pink" aisle.

This is a great kit to build- fairly straitforward and as someone else said- don't worry about accuracy.

Also a great choice for painting and weathering as you can hardly go wrong IMHO. The "real" falcon (Movie model) is so weathered that if you screw up, just paint over that one area and try again!

My 9 yo son built the Revell Easy-Build Falcon a few weeks ago, and I haven't been able to keep him off the models since. My 6 yo daughter likes the Hobby Boss kits, and has cleared my stash of all but one.

By the way, Paul...what's Han Solo been up to? Check out the big grin on his face!

Edited by damo
her mid winter break is coming up right after Valentine's day so we are going to build it then.

BTW....anyone know a good shade of grey to use for the hull?

For the FineMolds kit I am building, I preshaded it in black and settled on a 50/50 mixture of Light Gray and Camo Gray (both Model Master colors) airbrushed on to achieve the coloring I wanted. Straight light gray could probably work as well if you plan to spray can it (available in the Tamiya spray line). Light Gray is also the color that Fine Molds recommends out of the bottle for their kit. Reason why I used a mix is straight camo gray looked too brown to me and the light gray I originally tried looked too blue over the black pre-shading.

Here's the result of my efforts at painting. No weathering has been done yet, so these are the straight colors I used.

falconredpatch3.jpg

falconyellow1.jpg

The light gray patches are 50/50 Model Master Camo Gray and Flat Gull Gray. The dark ones are Neutral gray and the red patches are Testors small bottle rust with a few drops of red added. A couple yellow patches done with straight Tamiya flat yellow were also added to the bottom.

Of course, if you are doing this with your daughter, I don't think you need to get as exact as I am. But these colors should look fine on an AMT Falcon if you want to try them as well. Of course if you plan to brush paint rather then airbrush (so she can paint some of the panels) then one doesn't have to get exact with the shades I used either as the Falcon is subject to interpretation.

Edited by Jay Chladek