Looking at various vacuform biplane builds, the modelers often use "Contrail Strut Stock" to replace kit pieces for the struts between wings. Now, I know that a lot of Contrail kits are nigh impossible to find, so I was wondering if strut stock can still be bought, either from Contrail or some other manufacturer. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

(It's for my SSW R.VIII scratchbuild. I don't need the stuff yet, but it's good to start looking early.)

Looking at various vacuform biplane builds, the modelers often use "Contrail Strut Stock" to replace kit pieces for the struts between wings. Now, I know that a lot of Contrail kits are nigh impossible to find, so I was wondering if strut stock can still be bought, either from Contrail or some other manufacturer. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

(It's for my SSW R.VIII scratchbuild. I don't need the stuff yet, but it's good to start looking early.)

Mike, 

Aeroclub carries it, but on our side of the pond your best bet is Roll Models...in their searchable catalog look under Aeroclub.  I just bought some last night.

Cheers,

Alex

Lucien,

As stated both Roll models and Aeroclub carry it. The struts come in varying thicknesses and widths in a pack. From previous experience you would be wise to get three or four packs and you should be set.

Regarding shipping, although Alex makes a good point, I've had nothing but super service from Aeroclub. I live in Upstate NY, and I have had my order in as few as 4 days from the UK. John provides a great service at Roll Models, and I've ordered from him in the past, but (unless his business practices have changed recently) he doesn't carry stock, but orders the goods and ships as needed, so you may actually wait longer by ordering from Roll Models than you would from Aeroclub. It's a matter of choice on your part and how long your willing to wait. Both are top notch vendors.

Cheers

Mike

K&S also makes both brass and aluminum hollow streamline strut stock, though the smallest size is 1/8" X 1/4". See Matt's posting over in the "Tools & Tips" section of the ARC forums, or do a Google search on "K&S streamline tubing".

K&S also makes corrugated sheet metal--anyone up for a large scale Junkers?

HTH!

Karl

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I would recommend the "Strutz" brass sections as being metal they are much stronger in compression than the plastic Contrail struts. I know from bitter experience when the Contrail struts buckled during rigging. I replaced them with Strutz and have never looked back...

:cheers:

Darius